a few questions, if u have time! (1 Viewer)

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
I am curious,

Why did you start Learning Japanese?

when did u start learning?

how well do u think your Japanese is?

What career would you like to pursue?

Are there any plans of going to/studying in Japan in the not to distant future?

(anyone familiar with World Link Edu?, Or any other studying/exchange programs?)

Thanks guys. ur input is greatly appreciated! :)

rhia

salty
HSC
i started learning japanese because i had been interested in learning it for a long time, had wanted to learn it for a long time, but had not. i'm interested in foreign languages generally, but find japanese particularly appealing to my ear, in addition to japanese culture.

i started learning in about april-may '05, formally.

i think it is okay for my level - that is, beginners - my teacher says that it is 'fantastic', 'very skilled' and 'excellent', which sounds good to me.

at the moment i am toying with the idea of doing a combined science/arts degree: ultimately, though, if i could - if i knew it were possible, profitable - i'd pursue japanese translation alone. either way, i have to do something japanesey.

yes!

(anyone familiar with World Link Edu?, Or any other studying/exchange programs?)
nope.

P

pLuvia

Was originally planning on doing German Continuers but school didn't offer it so, couldn't do it. Plus I didn't know about OHS :p

First did 1 term in year 7, then picked it up in Year 9

I guess around average

International studies? Combining science with arts in university

Depends if I study Japanese in university or not

I went to japan via LABO

Last edited by a moderator:

abcd9146

HSC
yay, i love answering questionaires... lol...
cos i wanted to play japanese games before the stupid english versions came out... (is true;):))

im year 5 primary school, we had 1 lesson a week, and since HS, i've been ding it every year...

it has to be good... im relying on it to lift my UAI...

probably nothing to do with japanese... lol...

most likely going to japan at the end of the year, not to study though. i reckon ill forget all my jap soon after my hsc

theres ALWAYS this lady that comes to our school to talk about exchange... i went to japan with my school, but it wasnt exchange, cos no-one form their school came to australia...

P

pLuvia

At least you got to go to japan, we were planning one in year 9 but no one was going, so I went by myself just at the end of last year

~sora~

HSC
N/A

I want to be a teacher and since Japanese culture interested me and I liked the sound of the language, I decided to learn it.

Last year (2005) at uni.

Average for my level and time I been studying, it I guess.

Teacher

Going to Japan on a holiday next year for a month, and doing a year exchange in my last year of my degree.

Never heard of World Link Edu, but I know of the exchange program in UNSW.

I love questionaires too, just out of curiosity what is this for?

Wackedupwacko

HSC
cool language and i really like jap culture and all.

uhh 8 weeks in yr 7 but that doesnt really count... yr 8 doesnt really count so technically id say starting yr 9

i dunno according to my teacher jlpt lvl3 ... 2 if we actually study like crazy for a bit <--- kanji mainly... i have trouble maintaining a 2 way conv with an actual jap person so thats depressing =( but listening i rkn im alrite its just thinkn up a response in time before the persons moved onto another subject x.x

finance, international business ... somfin along those lines not exactly 100% sure yet

not to study but me and my friends are gonna head over some time in the xmas holidays this yr ^^;;

nope..... unless u count our schools exchange....? we go to a sister school intokyo every ... year/2nd year (depending on the numbers going in the yr) and every year they come to our school.

abcd one last thing not trying to be harsh or nething.... but hsc jap is like nowehre near being good at jap x.x i mean heck i think if our current class went to japan now (again) wed still get pwnd hard .... (o we finishd the syllabus already...) languages r just somfin u cant really get fluent or really good at unless u expose urself to intensive bombardment of it. eg living in japan for a while

Last edited:

Oritsuro

HSC
Fascinated by the culture

When did you start learning?

Some 'language smorgasboard' thing at our school forces us to study 5 different languages over the course of Yr7 for 8 weeks each. So Yr7

How good do you think your Japanese is?

Awesomely good. That's what I think. But in actual fact I'd say my receptive skills are fairly good, but my responding skills are the suck...relative to my receptive skills. Things could be better if I actually worked in the subject.

Relating to Japanese? None. But I'd like to try a year of teaching English at a Japanese school.

Study? I don't know the meaning of the word. Me and my friends are heading off to take over Tokyo after the HSC. Be warned.

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
~sora~ - Like i said, just out of curiousity :D Im Part Japanese, but you are all probably better than i am. *hangs head in shame

Wackedupwacko - what school do you go to?

Im going to start learning the language again. & hope to do B arts as well next yr. (if i get into uni) I couldnt do it last year for a number of reasons. Didnt make the cut off for that course. 2. My relos werent to keen on the idea.

Anyways, for those of you, who are sitting the hsc this year, i hope you all do well. & to those of you who are heading over there in the not too distant future, HAVE THE TIME OF UR LIFE! :)

abcd9146

HSC
@Wackedupwacko - yeah i know what you mean, i was sorta comparing myself to the other people in my class (and our school always does pretty well in jap). yes, i went to japan last year and the jap we are learning now is just the basics. when i went, you could pick up somethings that other people were saying, but they were most likely saying it really fast, so it was too hard to understand. also, they talk like they dont have to think (like how we speak english), and so if we cant achieve that level then our japanese is crap... or if you can read the newspaper then your jap is pretty decent...

heck, in the extension couse you learn a primary school level book...

Wackedupwacko

HSC
i know.... its scary x.x uhh i goto north syd boys high .... comparing myself to others in my class.... i dunno im doing alrite... (we have a couple of freaks in our grade... as in able to survive in japan freaky)

sassy_gal

HSC

Because i couldn't do Chinese. But I'd always wanted to do it-it just sounds so cool and i'd always liked watching Japanese animes, cartoons etc.. (but they were always dubbed) and like many others I was facinated with their cultuire. And plus, i wanted to a language for my HSC because i love learning new languages.

first term last year, around February I think.
depends on who you're comparing to, for my level as a beginner apparently I'm good (according to my teachers) but i would be so lost if i went to Japan. It takes me that long to try and figure out what someone is trying to say, and my vocab is strictly limited to the syllabus.

I'm thinking doing international business and international studies, so i get to use the languages i know!. probably something related to Japanese or Chinese-an English teacher could also be possible.

I'd love to go if i had a year off, but most likely on exchange during uni.

neva heard of it, but i do know a little about the Rotary Exchanges, they're quite good but leaving in the middle of year 12 had never really been an option. With the roatry you pay them a certain amount of money-just for the administritive costs, etc..to keep them running and u have to buy a jacket (formal, to represent Australia)+ you have to find a a club that will sponder you (in the area you're going to).

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
baka said:
I am curious,
Are you sure this isn't a research assignment and we're being unwittingly roped into it? >=]

We were forced to learn a language for a year in high school. I didn't really have an interest in any foreign language/culture. I chose Japanese because it was different from Italian and French, which I had studied in primary school for a year (and found boring).

<small>What? At least I'm honest about why I started studying it. :p</small>

I started learning it in 1999. I was in year eight at high school. It ended up being my favourite subject and so I continued it from then until now. I'm in my final year of a Japanese major at university this year. :)

How well do you think your Japanese is?
I think I'm capable of going over there, meeting and befriending purely Japanese speaking people, and getting along very comfortably. I can discuss quite a few things in Japanese, and have the ability to give my opinion on things. When I can't think of a word, I'll explain what I mean in simpler Japanese and later look it up. I can also understand spoken Japanese (such as that used in NHK news on at 5:25am on SBS). As for written Japanese: I can skim through a newspaper and be able to understand what articles are talking about. I don't have the kanji prowess to be able to understand everything, and I will need a kanji dictionary beside me, but I'm pretty capable of keeping up with current events.

I have absolutely no clue. I'm also a computer geek, so perhaps I might end up persuing a career in that. I finish uni either next year or the year after, so I'll have to see what happens then. I would like to use Japanese in whatever it is I do, however.

I've been to Japan twice and am planning to go to again at the end of this year as a celebration that I've made it through the JAPA major at uni. Of course I didn't go through such a heavy workload to simply forget it all once I finished uni. :p

Are you familiar with World Link Edu or any other studying/exchange programs?
Japan's 文部科*省 (MEXT - Ministry of Science, Culture and Education) offer some scholarships every year. Perhaps you should check them out. I think they're listed in http://www.jpf.org.au Being a government scholarship, they are highly prestigious.

Thanks guys. Your input is greatly appreciated! :)
Not a problem. :)

T

Testpilot

baka said:
We learnt about the culture in primary school and then had to (i.e. compulsory) learn it in years 7 & 8.

baka said:
In year 7 but I began taking it as an elective in years 9 & 10 (2 year course). Now I'm doing HSC Continuers

baka said:
It could be better.

baka said:
Engineer, may use Japanese but i may also have to learn French and German.

baka said:
I went on a school exchange to Japan in 2004 and spent a few weeks (i even met pikachu!). I currently have no plans to return to Japan in the near future, mainly because of the cost.

baka said:
Sorry, never heard of it. Our local council runs the exchange or there is the lions club.

PS. Baka what a user name (for those who don't know it is roughly translated to idiot).

AmenoKitarou

HSC

Got dragged in by Evangelion.

Yr 11, im in yr 12 now.

How good do you think your Japanese is?

I'm doing the Beginner's Course....but my teacher always tells me I'm as good as the average continuer's student.....but i'm not confident abt my abilities...

Psychology. Part time piano teaching, and Manga artist. See my signature? i drew that in my school diary~

I've been there on Exchange. If you've heard about the Sydney - Nagoya exchange that took plact last september, I was one of the 16 students from Cherrybrook Technolody High who went. Great fun great fun~ and it was freeeee >v<

Yeh i'd definitely go there to study if I have anything I want to study there.

rhia

salty
HSC
AmenoKitarou said:
Psychology. Part time piano teaching, and Manga artist. See my signature? i drew that in my school diary~
that is absolutely fantastic. well done.

AmenoKitarou

HSC
thnx thnx Rhia-san~~~

I reckon i still got a loooong way to go if i want to publish works~ *nod nod* *nod nod* XDDD

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
wow. how long does a piece like that take?
does anybody get offended with the word "Japs"?

P

pLuvia

baka said:
wow. how long does a piece like that take?
does anybody get offended with the word "Japs"?
No why would they :p, well maybe because I'm not japanese ;)

AmenoKitarou

HSC
Oh that pic in my sig takes 20 minutes....since I'm actually writing a manga series. productivity is important~ so i dont spent too much time on each drawing~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)