A few questions that need to be answered ( about uni ) (1 Viewer)

v sia

HSC
First of all , im in year 12 and im still confused whether i want to go uni or tafe etc.

Im aiming for 70 UAI ( yes not that high) , the course that interests me the most is Accounting or something in Business

Now here comes the questions that i desperately need answering :

1. What UAI mark would i need approx to get into those courses ?
2. Which is the best uni for accounting or bussiness ?
3. What work would i expect from doing accounting and business ?
4. How much does living @ campus cost ? and is it worth it ? as opposed to travelling 1 hour there and back and living at home

Ive got a lot more but my mind isnt working atm . Thanks in advance

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
hey, grab a uac guide, if they rnt out yet 4 this yr grab one from last yr. they have the cut off uai marks in them for each course. but they do differ slightly each yr.

anyways, dont say "im aiming for 70" ... cos that isnt high enuf i wouldnt think 4 accountin or business. find out wat the cut off (lowest mark allowed..) for the course is and work towards achieving that.

i dont know which ones are better, the better the course tho, the higher the uai.

(thats what i think neway.....?)

good luck with it.

jellybeenz

HSC
Dude, don't aim for 70, aim higher and you will achieve it, I promise! Everyone pretty much came out at the end of the HSC thinking they had barely passed and that kinda taught me that the HSC isn't that hard and with a decent amount of work-- 80-90 is achievable by anyone.

I have a friend who is doing commerce/arts at Wollongong who only got a UAI of 80 as well, so think about all the ways you can get around the cut-offs, Wollongong is good for that.

Look at the UAC guide but don't get disillusioned by the cut-offs. There are so many ways around them and find out early about all the options Universitys offer in regards to getting in with a lower UAI, interviews, letters etc. Do your research.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
jellybeenz said:
I have a friend who is doing commerce/arts at Wollongong who only got a UAI of 80 as well, so think about all the ways you can get around the cut-offs, Wollongong is good for that.
This is true. Someone from my year at school who got 'less than 30' got into the Commerce/Arts program at Wollongong by showing initiative and arranging interviews and whatnot.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
v sia said:
less than 30 no way
Wouldn't surprise me, friend with a score of 40 something got into their engineering program. Like I keep telling people there are lots of ways, you just have to have the courage to try them. He quit after 6 months though :)

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Less than 70 isn't going to get you much in Sydney. You definately won't get into business/accounting with that. So either you go somewhere far away or you do something else and transfer later. The UAC guide is a good starting point.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
I'm in a bitchy mood so i'll probably sound bitchy.. mehh i dont care

1. What UAI mark would i need approx to get into those courses ?alot more than 70 dood, ALOT aim for 85+ to get into a business course at a uni, although uws offers some business courses around mid 70's and they're ok
2. Which is the best uni for accounting or bussiness ? blah blah unsw, usyd, macq, uts, wollongong, uws, ANU <--- in that order, according to me
3. What work would i expect from doing accounting and business ? HELLOVA A LOT, expect weekly assignments, and doing a chapter of a textbook for each lecture (there are usually 3 lectures a week for business courses) thats not including assignments and class tests
4. How much does living @ campus cost ? and is it worth it ? as opposed to travelling 1 hour there and back and living at home ... urrh i wouldn't know but im guessing its between 110-160 but living expenses are probably about 100 more (for food, transport, laundry, entertainment etc etc)

Tabris

HSC
v sia said:
First of all , im in year 12 and im still confused whether i want to go uni or tafe etc.

Im aiming for 70 UAI ( yes not that high) , the course that interests me the most is Accounting or something in Business

Now here comes the questions that i desperately need answering :

1. What UAI mark would i need approx to get into those courses ?
2. Which is the best uni for accounting or bussiness ?
3. What work would i expect from doing accounting and business ?
4. How much does living @ campus cost ? and is it worth it ? as opposed to travelling 1 hour there and back and living at home

Alot more than 70, i got 91 and i am struggling in accounting, its a lot harder than u think, and u need a very good work ethic to be consistent in it, the weekly work itself chews about 3 hrs of ya time everyweek. With a UAI of 70, theres not much options for accounting, most uni's require UAI 85+ and sometiems 90+ to do accounting. Other than UWS, theres not much accounting courses unless your lucky

v sia

HSC
Tabris said:
Alot more than 70, i got 91 and i am struggling in accounting, its a lot harder than u think, and u need a very good work ethic to be consistent in it, the weekly work itself chews about 3 hrs of ya time everyweek. With a UAI of 70, theres not much options for accounting, most uni's require UAI 85+ and sometiems 90+ to do accounting. Other than UWS, theres not much accounting courses unless your lucky
* cries * sigh* man im dead

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
v sia said:
* cries * sigh* man im dead
Why? Don't take other peoples word for it, do you enjoy it? If you do then good, otherwise it might not be worth the struggle. You might decide to do it at TAFE for a little while to get a hang for the basics and then go into a degree, or maybe you will find if you get into uni that it isn't for you after a month. no one can tell how YOU will react.

One of my friends had a score of 48 but wanted to do nursing really bad, he ended up getting in on Principals Recc at UNE and he finished with a Distinction average.

Do what you enjoy you'll be more motivated and more likely to do well.

People need to understand, a UAI score will not be a good indicator of how you will do at uni, in my opinion it's terrible, first of all at uni you don't spend 20 or so months on 6-8 subjects you spend 6 months at a time on 4 subjects, big difference. You will not spend all this time covering a variety of courses that are not related (Biology, english, maths, geography, history no chance unless you are a multiple personalities Arts student) but a set of subjects that will all be closely related. You will be strongly encouraged to apply your knowledge but in a different manner than you are previously accustomed to. Then you will also find that they don't call your parents if you stop showing up so you need to be able to monitor and control yourself. You will also find that as you pass through 18 years of age a lot of distractions will present themselves at uni and if you find these more interesting than your subjects of course you won't be passing them very well if at all :)

So in closing, do what you enjoy because you will be spending a potential 3 years at it. Longer than you spent in year 11 and 12, and the subject matter will be a lot harder. So if you don't like it chances are you won't last unless you are one of those people who study for 6 hours a day after school for whatever reason.

yourdad

HSC
N/A
Once you get to second year, accounting is hard as a cunt. That's my contribution.

X

xeuyrawp

Hey, v sia,

Not to blow Macquarie's trumpet, but if all fails, you can do what's called "Non Award". This basically means that you're labelled an idiot by all the asians, but you can always lie and say you're doing another degree. Essentially: you need 60+ to enter non award, at which point you need to PASS each unit you take and can then transfer into a degree. Most units that you can do in a degree can be taken in non-award, but the catch is you need to pay upfront; you're in lectures and classes with every other student, but the only difference is you have to pass.

Notwithstanding that, you can do SIBT, which is another pathway to a business degree at macquarie, the details of which I'm not sure about. Google it to find out.

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
you can also look outside sydney, as these Unis not only have lower cut offs because they're considered 'Rural' (\Wagga and Dubbo rural? Hehehe) but they also offer an awesome social life that will beat any Sydney Uni.

klh

HSC
uts and uws also has non award programs as well, which is just like what PwarYuex described. also diploma style fast track degrees at uws and uts as well.

other than that, there is always tafe....than you can apply fro academic credit later when at uni; providing that you dont get into uni (hopefully not). i think uts, unsw and uws are very accpetiing of tafe studies. i foyu really like accounting, maybe try to fast track it while at tafe.
and yes rural ones, i think csu orla trobe soemthing might be ok, also acu, and remember you can get into them and then trasnfer again so yeah...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)