A few random tips (1 Viewer)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
EDIT:
Adding something from myself, with lots of hindsight
Do past papers. A person who does 30 past papers can ensure himself/herself a 90+ mark. Guaranteed. If you can do 20 trial papers and previous 10 HSC papers, and knows how to do every question in every one of those 30 papers, WILL get 90+, if not 95+. GUARANTEED. ^_^

10 tips that I found on the hsc.csu.edu.au website

1. Find out all you can about the format of the exam.
Time allowed, number of questions, marks and average time spent per question.
Number of parts, topics tested.
Do past HSC papers to be familiar with the format and standard.

2. Be prepared.
Revise, revise, revise!
Bring pens, pencil, calculator (check calculator works!) your brain (ditto!).
Eat and sleep well, be early, be confident, be a little nervous.

3. Use the reading time to plan your exam.
Read all instructions carefully.
Skim through all questions to see the work that is ahead of you.
Mark the difficult questions (*) which will require more time &endash; plan your time!

4. Spend the first minute of each question planning and thinking.
You don�t need to be writing all of the time. (What you�re writing may be wrong and a waste of time!)
Read each question carefully and decide what needs to be found.
Make sure you use all the information given.

5. Pace yourself & keep an eye on the time.
Work steadily ; make sure you are not spending too much time on one question.
Don�t rush or you�ll make silly mistakes, and your work will be messy.
Don�t panic if you run out of time &endash; it is better to get most questions right than to get all questions wrong. Complete the work you do know, rather than rushing.

6. Write clearly, draw big diagrams.
Show working, spread out your work neatly, use as much paper as you like.
Demonstrate to the marker that you know your Maths.
Write down the page, not across. Use words and diagrams if appropriate.
Don�t use liquid paper. Draw a line through mistakes. Use pencil only for diagrams. Why? Markers are instructed to read ALL working, ever the bit which is crossed out.

7. Make sure you have answered the question.
Does it sound reasonable? Correct units included? Correct no. of decimal places?
Highlight the final answer in a box. Should you write it in a sentence?
Easier questions are at the front. Do them first to boost your confidence.
Feel confident about yourself when you have answered a question correctly.

8. Attempt every question.
Aim to earn some marks for every question, even if it requires an educated guess.
Try to finish each question before moving on, so that you don�t have to worry about coming back to it.
If a question is too hard, skip it and leave time to come back to it later.

9. Move on if you�re getting nowhere.
If your working-out of a hard question is taking too long, then it�s probably wrong!
If you�re stuck, don�t waste valuable time getting bogged down. Stop, retrace your steps, think about a simpler method, or start again. Sometimes it�s even better to skip the question and return to it with a fresh mind.

10. At the end of the exam, check your work, and go back and attempt harder or uncertain questions.

And remember, one of the rules that markers are given is this:
When in doubt, go in favour of the student.
ie, the marker is looking to give you marks. The marker is looking for excuses to give you marks. For example, a question says to evaluate a certain equation and to give the answer to 3 significant figures. If you can't do the equation and get the right answer, right a random number to 3 significant figures. . . you get one mark!

hehe, before anyone says im plagiarising, I got most, if not all, of this from the hsc.csu.edu.au website. Check it out, but it takes a while to navigate. hehe

Edit:
Adding something from myself, with lots of hindsight :)
Do past papers. A person who does 30 past papers can ensure himself/herself a 90+ mark. Guaranteed. If you can do 20 trial papers and previous 10 HSC papers, and knows how to do every question in every one of those 30 papers, WILL get 90+, if not 95+. GUARANTEED. ^_^

Last edited:

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by GuardiaN
sticky? :)
Yeah but it would require a site admin since there aren't any board moderators.

ND

HSC
For example, a question says to evaluate a certain equation and to give the answer to 3 significant figures. If you can't do the equation and get the right answer, right a random number to 3 significant figures. . . you get one mark!
wtf? that can't be right...

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Hey guys, my main problem is checking - i make so many stupid mistakes and i really should check my exam! i have time and everything like that but i never do it. When i finish the exam i am so happy its over that i couldnt be bothered going through it again, im certain i answered all the questions confidently but when i get the exam back i notice that ive lost marks thru very stupid mistakes! is anyone else like this? any advice?

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah Im like that, but depending on how much time you have left there are various things you could do. Any question that appears really difficult when it shouldnt be, you probably made a stupid mistake like changing the sign (which can really complicate things like polynomials) so recheck them.

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
learn to work quicker and then check through....the fact that i didnt do this was my downfall...i checked all my work obsessively as i was going through the test and nearly always struggled for time

ND

HSC
Originally posted by mazza_728
Hey guys, my main problem is checking - i make so many stupid mistakes and i really should check my exam! i have time and everything like that but i never do it. When i finish the exam i am so happy its over that i couldnt be bothered going through it again, im certain i answered all the questions confidently but when i get the exam back i notice that ive lost marks thru very stupid mistakes! is anyone else like this? any advice?
Umm if you've got time left, then check you exam. Simple as that.

^___^
HSC
if u can't be "bothered"

then start from:

after ur practice exam-check ur answers to see if they are realistic

like if somehow to answer to some mechanic question was like 515751576.2486 N..then most likely its wrong

after a few of these practice checking..process to a deeper re-check and build on

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
but when i get the exam back i notice that ive lost marks thru very stupid mistakes! is anyone else like this? any advice?
I know your pain. I still suffer the same torment.

There is only one solution, and that is practice practice practice. (plus checking)

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
yep, what SDM said. Practise eliminates SSOO many stupid errors.

You can also just get out a year 10 textbook, open up to any algebra exercise, do it as quickly as you can. Do it everyday, even while watching tv, when the commercials come on. It'll get rid of stupid mistakes.

BTW, i think it is true, the one mark thing. Its in one of the "examination notes" for 2/3 maths, i think.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
Nine is pretty much what was emphasised last yr - and of course applies to all subjects. Stick to the suggested time limit o the exam - not finished move on. Got told over and over and over again. Wish I effectuated this in my 02 Math exam - that's what mucked up my final result.

^___^
HSC
haha, can't u see theres no mod for 2u maths?

and the admin are most likely out atm finishing off advisory days

admin dun come on till late night :p

^___^
HSC
:(

I know there are no mods for 2u maths. I've checked like 40 times already. But im hoping an admin will stumble over this, and say, HEY! how good is this!. :)

Pm the admin

the chance they "stumble" here is 0.01%

^___^
HSC
lol, i'll pm em. Which one? i wanna survive their wrath you know.
Laz or fatmuscle, those two are online the most

but dun tell them to sticky it, tell them to check u made a suitable and educational thread and want them to check it out :p

skypryn

sexual robot
HSC
N/A
seriously wtf is wrong with you guardian? why do people want stickys. thats so gay. "yaya now my name is near the top of the page and people are more likely to reply to my posts". anything like competing for number of posts is the gayest thing ive ever heard of. anyway, this is so NOT a good post. you go to an hsc tips site and copy some of their tips. you should do the sturt u site for all subs and then youd get more stickies! deadshit.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ND
lol it's a bit strange. all i know is do not leave any blank spaces!! you do not know how they will mark, or if they will be more lenient if everyone has got the question wrong, just write something!
i made a thread on this last year as it was my main problem, and still is. i cost myself a lot of marks from stupid mistakes. work slowly, methodically, and don't worry about what everyone else around you is up to!! in some subjects i would do different sections first so i could not compare where people were up to, as i would panic myself. write formulas before you use them, and label the question (with a, b or whatever is needed for the formula) and do not take shortcuts, write every step.

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
This should go without saying but don't do the questions backwards, it is much easier (and faster) to get marks in question 1 than question 10. Plan your time, you have 180 mins, so organise to spend less time on earlier Q's, then you have more time for the later ones. Also when you get to Q 8-10, if you are finding a question really hard, leave it, you may not have time to go back to it, but in the time you spend doing a hard question you may be able to do 1.5 easier Q's, for 1.5 the marks. I think thats it, but if I think of anything more I will post it.

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
Originally posted by ND
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm no ,you'll get 1 or 2 marks for the right process and 1 more mark for the correct rounding off!! Remember to attempt every question, if yopu have some idea , they will reward you some marks!! You will always get stuck (otherwise go do 4 u math) so dont panic - tell yourself the rest of the state will fuck up that question too and therefore you wont be disadvantaged, and move on to the next question- remember to relax!!

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
lol, you seem to be an advice person. :)
Maybe you should put maths advice in your signiture, instead of all those .. uh, quotes. ;)
although i must admit, some of them are kinda neat. ^_^

And I think, in the end, the best advice anyone can give regarding maths is, WORK HARD! DO ALOT OF MATHS!
you can't possibly fail if you do that. hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)