A-League (1 Viewer)

HSC
Football in general.

The only reason SBS aren't showing Premiership games on a Saturday night, Sunday afternoon is becasue they bought the rights to some third rate Olympics. Next season they should have a Premiership match of the week, although Fox Sports did out bid SBS, in any other year they wouldn't have done, as SBS would have had more money to spend.

As far as the A-Leage goes, it is down to us how succesful it is. Because the TV rights are minimal, the best way to measure a teams success is by going to the stadiums and watching them play. I frequently go to my local stadium to watch the highest grade football in Australia (The NSW Premier league), and although my team (Manly) is bottom of the comp, supporting the game at even an average level is what this countries footballing culture needs.

As for the salary cap, 1.5 million isn't all that much, and can't compare with even a second division German league. But in Europe the relationship between profits and points were so obvious (4th place Liverpool being closer to relegation than they were to catching Man U, Chelskea or The Arse) that I think it can only be a good thing. Look at the NRL, becasue of the salary cap, The Panthers were wooden spooners the year before they won the Premiership. Can you imagine a team either newly promoted or 4th from bottom winning any major title in Europe the following year?

Anyway, as long as we all support our cities team, the A-League should be a success. After the NSL it can only imporove.

Crazy Horse

HSC
i disagree bout Farina. i think they can find sumone much better. He might have dun the best he could with the old Assosiation but now we have the new assosiation i think its time 4 a change. Ppl dun realise that juss cauz sumone can play doesnt mean they can coach (perfect eg. - teachers. dey understand, can apply it but many cant teach so r no benefit 2 u.). With the new assosiation i think an overseas coach (a European??) would cauz quite a stir and attract more attention 2 the game and the socceroos.

T

timbk2

i think the players need to take some responsibilty. Lets face it, we have enough talent in the team to at least make a mark on the world stage. They just dont perform. Its not entirely the coaches fault. All the players respect farina and the job he does, and so does the federation, otherwise he would have been sacked already.

This will be a telling year but. If we dont qualify for the world cup come november, then theres no way he is staying on.

slip

HSC
No European Coach

we dont need a european coach

1 we have got so many great coachs in australia

2 we have to play off against south americans why not get 1st hand insight from a south american coach

3 any european coachs we could get arent employed and they arent employed because they werent good enough in europe, if they arent good enough their then there sure as hell arent good enough for us

4 you are forgeting that jsut a few years ago farina was a target of big name clubs in europe and even national sides around the world.

on a side note i think we should look at signing some talents from africa, asia and south america, they are relatively cheap and can make a name for themselves which will attract crowds

Dynamix

North by Northwest and then turning slightly East
HSC
i think the jets new logo is disgusting- as a proud novocastrian i have never been called a jet, we have minimal air force capacity and have little or no recognition with aviation whatsoever- WHY THE HELL ARE WE CALLED THE JETS?! The Jets have always been Newtown- leave it that way. Newcastle United was fine, we dont need a mascot.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
slip said:
we dont need a european coach

1 we have got so many great coachs in australia

2 we have to play off against south americans why not get 1st hand insight from a south american coach

3 any european coachs we could get arent employed and they arent employed because they werent good enough in europe, if they arent good enough their then there sure as hell arent good enough for us

4 you are forgeting that jsut a few years ago farina was a target of big name clubs in europe and even national sides around the world.

on a side note i think we should look at signing some talents from africa, asia and south america, they are relatively cheap and can make a name for themselves which will attract crowds

ok, one point, about them not being unemployed ova there eaning they're not good enuff 4 us... wanna ask, whatabout venables? he was coaching 4 a bit (if he is now??????)....is he shit? i'd rate him as one of the best around

slip

HSC
venables isnt great

in the past ten years he hasnt done anythign remarkable

job: coaching australia result: missed world cup

job: co-coach boro result: still lower table when he left

job: leeds united result: leeds went backwards

before that he only got results because he coached big clubs with awesome players, with anything below that he hasnt really achieved anything

veridis

droog
HSC
dont realy like any of the mascot names. kinda happy sydney just went with FC
roar and mariners logos look like shit
adelaide looks best and victorys aint too bad

as for someone before saying manly was coming last i can assure you they're a damn lot better than cresent star. if my local team wasnt so crap and tried to accept fans outside the turk community then maybe it would get support. i for one am glad that SA did try to reduce racial/cultural ties with clubs in the last few years of its existance.

Buggdogg

HSC
N/A
veridis said:
dont realy like any of the mascot names. kinda happy sydney just went with FC
adelaide looks best and victorys aint too bad

as for someone before saying manly was coming last i can assure you they're a damn lot better than cresent star. if my local team wasnt so crap and tried to accept fans outside the turk community then maybe it would get support. i for one am glad that SA did try to reduce racial/cultural ties with clubs in the last few years of its existance.
Ahem! Have you seen how cool the jets is.

The others are shitful. Mariners and roar, Ohhh no, don't scare us.

matt#1

HSC
N/A
veridis said:
adelaide looks best and victorys aint too bad.
Yeah, i agree that the roar and mariners logos both look pretty crappy. I think that Sydney FC and Adelaide United FC have the best logos and names.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
timbk2 said:
thoughts on Yorke possibly joining sydney?
could be risky, but if he does come i will go to a game, he will pull in a crowd ...

matt#1

HSC
N/A
RUB!X said:
could be risky, but if he does come i will go to a game, he will pull in a crowd ...
yeah, same here. He is pretty old now, but there is no doubt that he is a quality player who would pull a crowd.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)