• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

a little advice needed (1 Viewer)

w00dy.

HSC
to all those out there reading this:
i need some sort of advice on the best and probally most effective way to do my summary notes to help me study for the half yearlies.

do i just do each subject on pieces of paper and put them into a folder, continually building them after half yearlies;

or each subject in an exercise book

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

just so i dont get them into one big jumbled mess which would probally result in my brain turning to moosh.

and who knows there may be others out there thatll benefit from this advice too

thanks guys

all the best

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
my method:
-start studying by using a yellow high lighter and highlighting key words, such as definitions and main points (bold words)
-once whole book/papers are highlighted, get paper and make summary notes which branch out from those highlighted terms IN DOT POINT
-use colour ie: diff highlight colours, red, blue and black pens, HEADINGS, subheadings
-use arrows to show leading info
-when using binded paper, only use one side
-once you've made your semi-detailed notes, revise again but summerise your summary notes even further

*concentrate your study on the things that you are not familiar with
*slight revision on familar information

Gangels

HSC
Without Wings said:
It really depends on what you feel suits you best. I personally preferred to type my notes up as they were neater and easier to read/access. I then bound them all together to make a little book.

You may also find that different formats are better suited to different subjects, and different methods of studying. If you are doing practice essays you may find that writing it is easier than typing it up.

Other methods that you may find helpful are:
- putting the notes on tape/ipod etc and listening to them
- putting notes around the house so you see them a lot
- doing mindmaps

Also for a lot of subjects doing your summaries by the syllabus is a good idea as it helps to ensure you are following what you need to learn, and that you don't miss anything.
Ditto:uhhuh:

CaiDrummer

HSC
I like to highlight my notes before I summarise them into dot points and anagrams, then type all my notes up (I mean ALL).
When I print them off (preferrably in colour, it helps make the more important information stand out) I seperate them into a folder for each subject, i.e. one for PD, one for Modern, etc.
Then I split the folder up. I have one part of the folder for the Main Body, which is everything you've done in your workbook, another section for Revision, which is all those summaries, anagrams and dot points, another section where I put the Syllabus (if you have it) and another section for Assessments, so you can look back over them.
The folder ends up being massive, but it's really useful when you need to study.

patpat

HSC
CaiDrummer said:
I like to highlight my notes before I summarise them into dot points and anagrams, then type all my notes up (I mean ALL).
When I print them off (preferrably in colour, it helps make the more important information stand out) I seperate them into a folder for each subject, i.e. one for PD, one for Modern, etc.
Then I split the folder up. I have one part of the folder for the Main Body, which is everything you've done in your workbook, another section for Revision, which is all those summaries, anagrams and dot points, another section where I put the Syllabus (if you have it) and another section for Assessments, so you can look back over them.
The folder ends up being massive, but it's really useful when you need to study.
same here! takes a while sometimes, but it works best for me. and it's slowly filling up and falling off my bookshelf...oh dear.

lots of people say to view the syllabus as your bible. it's great advice.

cyl123

HSC
Some advice:
For content based subjects eg. sciences, soc sciences etc. find a syllabus for each subject (updated preferably) and make notes BASED ON THE SYLLABUS. Keep the notes as simple as possible. Use textbooks, notes in class in your summary. But dont copy word for word from the textbook, as it kinda defeats the purpose of a summary. Read and update regularly. I summarised a whole topic in about 30 pages, and thats all u really need. Do questions from textbooks to reinforce the knowledge you learnt.

For subjects such as maths and english.. PRACTICE. Do exercises from as many textbooks as possible to reinforce the concepts. Dont do all the questions, just enough for u to grasp the concepts well. For maths, the tests are based on applying concepts, so the best way to study is to practice applying concepts so just do exercises until the concepts are clear.

Past papers are EXTREMELY helpful in study prior to exam, so you are used to exam conditions. Study regularly and good luck!!!

RabbitRabbit

HSC
N/A
I find mindmaps, flowcharts and pictures with annotations prepare you for last-minute exam study. Its also easier to look at and find info you actually need. Everything else you learn should be in your school books.

I think long written summaries are not only pointless but a waste of time if it dosn't even end up in your head... but I guess whatever works for you.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
I just use plain pen and paper - well, actually, exercise books - to do my notes :D A book for each subject that I wanna make notes on. Apart from English and Maths. Because, well, can't really figure out what to make notes on, mostly >.>

Sofstar

HSC
I have one of those notebooks that are divided into like 5 subjects. I use class notes and follow the syllabus and write summaries.
Remember that whatever you write you should be able to/want to read.
And Diagrams/pictures/tables help.

passion89

HSC
w00dy. said:
do i just do each subject on pieces of paper and put them into a folder, continually building them after half yearlies
That's precisely what I'm doing. I'm finding that much easier. Even though it is probably easier to find documents and folders on computer, it is still much better to practice handwriting quickly to get it used to the writing you'll be diong under exam conditions. I spend way too much time on the net and have found that handwriting, for me, is being underused. This isn't too good for the Eng Advanced and extension essays and papers I'll be writing in 6 months time! So to counteract this, I try and write all of my notes out by hand :)

cdingle

HSC
I type my notes according to the syllabus dots points and put then in a display folder. But if I have a maths problem or something that I really need to learn I just stick it up on my wall, so i can look at it anytime. Last year for the SC stuck up all of my main notes on the walls and if i could get to sleep I would just lay there and read them :)

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
I'm trying the method of typing up my notes too and using them as a summary guide for the topic.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
hahahaha i know what you mean.
When i go onto the computer, msn signs in....BoS website comes up.... no time to type up my notes :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)