A magnet was run along my laptop and now the screen won't light up (1 Viewer)

EpaX

HSC
Uni Grad
My idiot cousin ran a fridge magnet along my laptop and now he screen brightness turned off and won't turn back on, even after restarting many times. Everything else works normally and the screen is still on - it's just that there's no brightness (I can see the screen by shining a flashlight on it).

Is there any way to fix this without going to the IT technician? The laptop is an 'emachines' E630 Acer.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
tell your idiot cousin to buy you a new one or a pineapple goes in with no lube...

EpaX

HSC
Uni Grad
Yes I tried turning it on and off again... still nothing happens. I tried the brightness buttons as well but they don't work, implying that the magnet dislodged its mechanism or something.....

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Its possible that the magnet affected some of the states in the hardware which triggered the screens birghtness.

However, you would need a pretty strong magnet to do that (its similar to how you can destroy a hard drive by running a magnet across it, but that still requires a strong magnet.

You should most likely ask ACER technical support as they will know what happened and how it can be fixed.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think that there is something wrong with the brightness itself but rather the magnet stuffed up some electrical or mechanical component of the computer. Maybe speak to some computer people before buying a new computer (but it sounds like you will need to buy a new computer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)