A new/more efficient way on giving ATAR estimates :) (1 Viewer)

MW4521

HSC
N/A
Hey guys,

I've been seeing a lot of ATAR estimates recently and have been wondering how do you lot give estimates. I have just assumed that you guys just looked at the school rank and the ranks of the subjects while also taking into consideration the scaling etc etc.

I found this website where it can tell you the number of people that have received band 6's in a particular subject in the past years for the school: http://www.topscores.info/select-nsw.php?req=da-rankings

In the drop down menu there is an option where you can select "HSC Distinguished Achiever Counts per School and Subject", and below you can type the name of the school in. This method allows us to give a much more precise estimate due to the counts of band 6's that the school gets in a particular subject every year.

The only problem is that in the previous ATAR estimate threads all the bos'ers have only been giving things like "~200" or "400+" or "around the 30's". To make this new method of ATAR estimates to work you must now give the name of the school or if visible on the rank list to give the actual number the school got.

What do you guys think of the new idea? :)

enoilgam

HSC
I've seen top score before and its a useful tool. But similar to school rank, its taken from previous years - your cohort may be stronger or weaker. School estimates tend to be performed using these stats. My school did estimates like this but they turned out to be inaccurate for quite a few people. So yes, its a useful tool but it wont really make the process that much more accurate or reliable.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I think it's worth looking at before giving estimates. Some schools will perform extremely poorly in certain subjects and do very well in others.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Some users may not want to disclose where they go to school so that's a definite no.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)