A proposed study plan (1 Viewer)

sida1049

HSC
Alright, so I'm considering doing B Science (Advanced Science or Advanced)/B Arts, and I'm trying to get my head around how to structure my study plan.

So let's say I'm awfully determined to major in Mathematics, Statistics and Economics. Would the following study plan work? Are there any significant drawbacks to it?

Study plan

1st year:

MATH1901 (3 units) Semester 1
Differential Calculus (Advanced)

MATH1902 (3 units) Semester 1
Linear Algebra (Advanced)

MATH1903 (3 units) Semester 2
Integral Calculus and Modelling Advanced

MATH1905 (3 units) Semester 2
Statistics (Advanced)

ECMT1010 (6 units) Semester 2
Introduction to Economic Statistics

ECMT1020 (6 units) Semester 2
Introduction to Econometrics

ECON1001 (6 units) Semester 1
Introductory Microeconomics

ECON1002 (6 units) Semester 1
Introductory Macroeconomics

(12 units free)

2nd year:

MATH2961 (6 units) Semester 1
Linear Mathematics and Vector Calculus (Advanced)

MATH2965 (6 units) Semester 2
Partial Differential Equations Intro (Advanced)

MATH2969 (6 units) Semester 1
Discrete Mathematics and Graph Theory (Advanced)

MATH2970 (6 units) Semester 2
Optimisation and Financial Mathematics (Advanced)

STAT2911 (6 units) Semester 1
Probability and Statistical Models (Advanced)

STAT2912 (6 units) Semester 2
Statistical Tests (Advanced)

ECOS2901 (6 units) Semester 1
Intermediate Microeconomics Honours

ECOS2902 (6 units) Semester 2
Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours

3rd year: (Complete Statistics and Economics majors)

STAT3911 (6 units) Semester 1
Stochastic Processes and Time Series (Advanced)

STAT3912 (6 units) Semester 1
Applied Linear Models (Advanced)

STAT3913 (6 units) Semester 2
Statistical Inference (Advanced)

STAT3914 (6 units) Semester 2
Applied Statistics (Advanced)

ECOS3901 (6 units) Semester 1
Advanced Microeconomics Honours

ECOS3902 (6 units) Semester 2
Advanced Macroeconomics Honours

ECOS3903 (6 units) Semester 1
Applied Microeconometrics

ECOS3904 (6 units) Semester 2
Applied Macroeconometrics

4th year: (Complete Mathematics major)

MATH3975 (6 units) Semester 2 [can enrol in same semester as MATH2970]
Financial Mathematics (Advanced)

MATH3976 (6 Units) Semester 1
Mathematical Computing (Advanced)

MATH3977 (6 units) Semester 2
Lagrangian and Hamiltonian Dynamics (Advanced)

MATH3969 (6 units) Semester 2
Measure Theory and Fourier Analysis (Advanced)

ECOS2201 (6 units) Semester 1
Economics of Competition and Strategy

ECOS2903 (6 units) Semester 1
Mathematical Economics A

(12 units free)

That's it.

Also, would it be possible to fit a computer science minor within the 12 free units of the first and last years? Would that be practical, considering that one would probably forget the junior content?

Thanks guys.

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Ah, degree planning. This is right up my alley :).

So summarising the requirements for the B Science (Advanced Mathematics)/B Arts degree from the undergraduate handbook (http://sydney.edu.au/handbooks/arts/coursework/combined_degrees/b_arts_b_science.shtml), you need:

192 credit points all up
At least one major in Science and one in Arts
Minimum 96 credit points in Science
Minimum 12 junior credit points in Mathematics and Statistics
Minimum 24 junior credit points of Science units in two subject areas other than Mathematics or Statistics
Minimum 12 advanced intermediate credit points in Mathematics or Statistics
Minimum 24 advanced senior credit points in Mathematics or Statistics
Minimum 72 senior credit points in Arts and Social Sciences
Maximum 60 senior credit points in one single Arts and Social Sciences area
Maximum 18 junior credit points in one single Arts and Social Sciences area
Maximum 12 credit points outside of the Science and Arts and Social Sciences faculties

So, keeping as close to your previously proposed program as possible, I would recommend the following:

YEAR 1
Semester 1
MATH1901 - Differential Calculus (Advanced)
MATH1902 - Linear Algebra (Advanced)
ECON1001 - Introductory Microeconomics
HPSC1000 - Bioethics
INFO1903 - Informatics (Advanced)
Semester 2
MATH1903 - Integral Calculus and Modelling (Advanced)
MATH1905 - Statistics (Advanced)
ECON1002 - Introductory Macroeconomics
INFO1003 - Introduction to Information Technology
INFO1905 - Data Structures (Advanced)

YEAR 2
Semester 1
MATH2961 - Linear Mathematics and Vector Calculus (Advanced)
STAT2911 - Probability and Statistical Models (Advanced)
ECMT1020 - Introduction to Econometrics
ECOS2901 - Intermediate Microeconomics Honours
Semester 2
MATH2965 - Partial Differential Equations Intro (Advanced)
MATH2970 - Optimisation and Financial Mathematics (Advanced)
STAT2912 - Statistical Tests (Advanced)
ECOS2902 - Intermediate Macroeconomics Honours

YEAR 3
Semester 1
STAT3911 - Stochastic Processes and Time Series (Advanced)
ECMT2150 - Intermediate Econometrics
ECOS2201 - Economics of Competition and Strategy
ECOS3901 - Advanced Microeconomics Honours
Semester 2
MATH3975 - Financial Mathematics (Advanced)
STAT3913 - Statistical Inference (Advanced)
ECMT2160 - Econometric Analysis
ECOS3902 - Advanced Macroeconomics Honours

YEAR 4
Semester 1
STAT3912 - Applied Linear Models (Advanced)
ECOS3007 - International Macroeconomics
ECOS3010 - Monetary Economics
ECOS3903 - Applied Microeconomics
Semester 2
MATH3978 - PDEs and Waves (Advanced)
STAT3914 - Applied Statistics (Advanced)
ECOS3011 - Public Finance
ECOS3902 - Applied Macroeconomics

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just a few general notes:

1. The content learnt in MATH1905 and ECMT1010 are basically the same, and you are only able to one of those units. I would do MATH1905 as it will cover the content in much more detail, it's part of the standard progression for your advanced maths degree, and also because the Science faculty almost never allows combined degree students to preference ECMT1010 over MATH1005/MATH1905 (as your combined program is actually administered by the Arts faculty you have a bit more freedom of choice, but I think my other two previous reasons are justification enough anyway).

2. You do have to do at least 4 junior science subjects that are not in mathematics and statistics, and all up they have to be from 2 different subject areas. Seeing as you were interested in a Computer Science minor, I put down the 3 first year computer science subjects for you (in the advanced stream, however you can do the normal stream units INFO1103 and INFO1105 if you wish. INFO1003 is a subject on its own). For your 4th subject I've suggested HPSC1000. This is a philosophy of science course which in my opinion is the easiest first year science unit you can do, plus the contact hours and work you have to do for it isn't too great. This is just so you can focus on all of your other subjects, but of course, if that doesn't interest you, feel free to substitute it with any junior science unit of your choice (not from computer science though).

3. ECOS2903 and MATH2970, again, basically teach the same thing. While you can do both, I omitted ECOS2903 for two reasons. One, because it was the easiest option considering the number of requirements you have to meet for your program. And two, because ECOS2903 has a reputation as being a poorly run and poorly taught subject, so I'd avoid it if I were you.

4. For the Arts degree component, you have to complete 72 senior arts credit points, so I cut a few of your elective maths subjects out to make room. MATH2969 is interesting, but in terms of the financial and economic side of things you are going into, it's not as applicable. Out of the 3000 level maths units, I'd recommend MATH3975 (which is obvious as it is about financial maths) and MATH3978. MATH3978 is one of the most important units that count towards an applied mathematics major, and the areas of mathematics that it covers (partial differential equations specifically) have a wide range of applications, including in economics. MATH3976 would also be helpful, but not as helpful as MATH3978 in my opinion. MATH3969 is a pure mathematics subject that assumes quite a bit of knowledge from MATH3961 and MATH2962. Pure mathematics is quite a different beast to the more applied mathematics you would be studying otherwise, and while it certainly is interesting, I don't think you'll have the room to pursue it in too much detail, especially if you want to focus on statistics as well. It doesn't matter too much; applied maths and statistics are much more relevant to you anyway.

5. Also, with the senior arts units, you cannot have any more than 60 senior credit points in one area. What that means is you will only be able to 10 senior economics units, when you need 12 to complete the requirements. So I've included two subjects on econometrics as I assumed that would probably be your next choice. But you could substitute those for any other subjects you wish; there are quite a few bludgy arts subjects out there, look in the handbook and see what you find.

6. There are a few economics electives there; I filled it in with ones that I thought might be more relevant to you, but again, you can read through the handbook and substitute any other subject you want.

7. I spread out your senior statistics units to one of each every semester from your third year. That's just personal preference from me; you can rearrange the order you do the subjects in if you wish. I just think that spreading them out means you're more likely to remain in a multidisciplinary frame of mind for the entirety of your degree, instead of, for example, doing most of your statistics units at one time, and coming back to do another unit far enough into the future that you've gotten a little rusty.

8. With this program, your science major would be either Statistics (with a minor in Mathematics) or Financial Mathematics and Statistics (which ever you prefer to call it), and your arts major would be Economics. Of course, if you wish replace a lot of the statistics units with mathematics ones and pursue a slightly different major (or the same major with different electives) that's fine, I think statistics would be more relevant with your studies in economics though. Unfortunately I don't think it will be possible to fit in a computer science minor, unless you wish to forfeit some of your maths or stats units. It's probably worth noting though that the term "minor" is used here unofficially; USYD do not actually offer minors. But if you do a few senior units in a particular area, you could say that it is your minor informally. There just won't be any formal recognition of it on your transcript or administrative documents.

Last edited:

sida1049

HSC
Ah, degree planning. This is right up my alley :).
Oh my god dude, you're amazing! This is brilliant, thank you so much! This makes everything significantly clearer and easier to understand. You deserve money for this, except I don't have a job.

sida1049

HSC
No problem haha :).
Honestly can't thank you enough.

Anyway, just to confirm, is there no way for me to fit more maths units without impeding on statistics and economics and going into another year?

Last edited:

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Yeah that's right. You're already doing the minimum number of senior subjects for the Arts component, so you can't replace any of the economics subjects with maths. Your only choice would be to switch it with some of your statistics units.

Just in regards to doing an extra year, even if you're not considering it, since the university has started using Sydney Student as their administration platform, they'll pretty much force you to graduate once you've reached that 192 credit point mark (assuming you've satisfied the other requirements). You can, for example, put off doing your junior science units to delay your degree completion, but you'll have to apply for special permission each time you want to enrol in new units. Personally I don't think it's worth all of the administrative headaches.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
Honestly can't thank you enough.

Anyway, just to confirm, is there no way for me to fit more maths units without impeding on statistics and economics and going into another year?
What other maths unit would you want to do?

sida1049

HSC
What other maths unit would you want to do?
Since I've had pretty much no taste in statistics, mathematics seems really attractive purely for interest. Discrete mathematics, mathematics computing, real and complex analysis, and a few other pure and applied maths units seem quite intriguing, albeit they wouldn't be as relevant to the general area of statistical analysis, modelling and research I'm leaning towards (not just in the context of economics). I'll see though; if I don't quite enjoy statistics then I'll switch.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)