A question about International Studies. (1 Viewer)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Perhaps inspired by the careers expo I visited today, I have a few question for anyone doing Internal Studies.

Just a little background first, I am very interested in International Studies, especially the language stream as I want to learn both Chinese and Japanese and their respective cultures however I haven't taken either course in my HSC so I will be a complete beginner.

1.Do most people who enter as beginners graduate with competency in the language chosen? I'm just afraid that I will graduate without any useful skill in my chosen languages.

2.How difficult is the course for beginners? I'm worried that if I find that International Studies is not for me and I want to transfer, I just wanted to know if I could get a good GPA to keep my options open.

3.If I'm a complete beginner, would you recommend not doing the language stream?

Anyway, I just want to thank anyone in advance for reading my post and answering my queries. :)

klaw

HSC
I'm currently doing JAPN1000 and I definitely recommend learning a language. While I do find it more difficult than my commerce subjects (I do comm/arts), it certainly isn't anything crazily hard.

The teaching atmosphere is so much different for languages than for other subjects coz it's not just a matter of reading the textbook and taking notes but a matter of practicing. You actually get to talk to ppl around you and have fun while doing it. I actually look forward to going to my JAPN1000 classes.

I know JAPN3000 students in the UNSW nippon club who can converse with native japanese speakers without any problems so I would imagine that most ppl who finish their majors would have at least a fair level of competency.

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
klaw said:
I'm currently doing JAPN1000 and I definitely recommend learning a language. While I do find it more difficult than my commerce subjects (I do comm/arts), it certainly isn't anything crazily hard.

The teaching atmosphere is so much different for languages than for other subjects coz it's not just a matter of reading the textbook and taking notes but a matter of practicing. You actually get to talk to ppl around you and have fun while doing it. I actually look forward to going to my JAPN1000 classes.

I know JAPN3000 students in the UNSW nippon club who can converse with native japanese speakers without any problems so I would imagine that most ppl who finish their majors would have at least a fair level of competency.
Thank You for your response and little insight into what the course is like, Klaw. Sounds like choosing JAPN1000 is really rewarding you in terms of enjoyment. :)

klaw

HSC
Indeed it is, make sure you join the nippon club! :O

Miliux

Livin' in Amsterdam
HSC
For those who are thinking of doing B. International Studies should ask me here or by private messege. I'm a third year B.IS.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)