• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

a question for application of combined couse for Bscience(advanced maths)‏ in USYD (1 Viewer)

owenzou

HSC
I am an student who just finished 2010HSC and i got 97.65 for my final atar. I pefer to apply the combined couse B commerce/B science(advanced maths) in USYD, but in the UAC book it only has Bcommerce/B science(511535) which only needs 94.40 and i couldn't find Bcommerce/B science(advanced maths) from the UAC 2011, and from the Table Of Course in the University of Sydney, it says that "It is also possible to enroll in BSc(advanced) or BSc(advanced maths) in this combined course." so how could i apply for B commerce/B science(advanced maths) and what the UAC course code is?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Re: a question for application of combined couse for Bscience(advanced maths)‏ in U

I suppose you go contact the university via the number on the back of the UAC book: 1300 362 006 - and ask.

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC
Re: a question for application of combined couse for Bscience(advanced maths)‏ in U

I'd do B Com/ B Sci (Adv Maths) at UNSW. They have a QR major, but that's just me...

AussieVesti

Retired Account
HSC

Don't take my word for it but I'm sure the Advanced Mathematics is just a major. If you apply for B.Comm/B.Sci, during orientation you will be able to customise your units to satisfy the Adv. Math major.

Contact the university just to clarify regardless.

UncoKane

Huzzah!
HSC
Uni Grad

B Sc (Adv) and B Sc (Adv Maths) are just other streams. As long as you have an ATAR to enter into either of those courses you can be put in those streams. You do this at enrollment. Same deal with other combined degrees like B Science/B Arts.

It'll be the same UAC code (511535) and same degree code, just a different stream.

So just apply for B Commerce/B Science and you can deal with the stream after you've been accepted.

Last edited:

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad

I suppose you go contact the university via the number on the back of the UAC book: 1300 362 006 - and ask.
Yeah, ring them. I had a good laugh with the lady on the phone the other day... I think it only took about 5 seconds to answer my question but then we ended up chatting about other random stuff.

jet

Banned
HSC

As long as you are in a B Science degree then it doesn't matter what's inside the brackets. As long as you satisfy the requirements for the stream you want, then you can have that stream listed on your testamur. E.g. I'm doing a BSc(Advanced) but any person doing a regular BSc can satisfy the requirements for my degree and get awarded it in place of a regular BSc at graduation.

The only requirements for a BSc(Advanced) are 12cp of advanced subjects at intermediate level and an advanced major at senior level (defined as 24cp of advanced units in one subject area). On top of this you need a credit (65) average.

For a BSc(Adv. Mathematics) the requirements are 12cp of advanced subjects at intermediate level and 24cp (usually four subjects) of advanced Mathematics/Statistics units in senior year. On top of this you need a credit (65) average.

My recommendation would be to enrol in a BComm/BSc and then just fulfil the requirements for a BSc(Adv. Mathematics) above. If you are doing a BSc of some form, then you will be able to finish up with a BSc(Adv. Mathematics) some way or another.

owenzou

HSC

As long as you are in a B Science degree then it doesn't matter what's inside the brackets. As long as you satisfy the requirements for the stream you want, then you can have that stream listed on your testamur. E.g. I'm doing a BSc(Advanced) but any person doing a regular BSc can satisfy the requirements for my degree and get awarded it in place of a regular BSc at graduation.

The only requirements for a BSc(Advanced) are 12cp of advanced subjects at intermediate level and an advanced major at senior level (defined as 24cp of advanced units in one subject area). On top of this you need a credit (65) average.

For a BSc(Adv. Mathematics) the requirements are 12cp of advanced subjects at intermediate level and 24cp (usually four subjects) of advanced Mathematics/Statistics units in senior year. On top of this you need a credit (65) average.

My recommendation would be to enrol in a BComm/BSc and then just fulfil the requirements for a BSc(Adv. Mathematics) above. If you are doing a BSc of some form, then you will be able to finish up with a BSc(Adv. Mathematics) some way or another.

thank for your reply!!

but whats "cp" and "intermediate level"?

mitchy_boy

blue
HSC

thank for your reply!!

but whats "cp" and "intermediate level"?

Ummm, cp means credit points, you need to do a certain amount of them to get a degree ( I think it's 148 for single degree, and 192 for double). One subject is 6cp.

I think Intermediate level refers to the period in your degree in which you do the subject, so intermediate would be in second or third year. I'm only guessing, if someone wants to correct me go ahead.

jet

Banned
HSC

cp refers to credit points, which are essentially the same as HSC units. Not all subjects are 6cp and the number of credit points for a usual load change between uni's (but usually it's six).

Intermediate refers to Second Year. Usually we say Junior for first year, Intermediate for second year and Senior for third year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)