A question from a potential 2010 student (1 Viewer)

ct92

HSC
After getting my ATAR today, I missed out on Commerce/Law by a few points. I'd qualify for quite a few bonus points, but I'm pretty sure no law degrees accept them.

So, I would like to know how many semesters of Commerce I would need to take, and with what kind of grades, before I could pick up the double degree. Also, would this extend my overall time at university, and by how much?

whatashotbyseve

It all counts
HSC
Well it depends on what a few is. Even at 3-4 off the cut-off, you should be in with a good shot of being accepted. If not, you should be able to enter for comm/law at the end of the first year assuming your GPA is good (2.5+ min). First year commerce is pretty generic, you should be able to get out within the 5 years, especially as the degree is substantially slanted towards law units (minimum 74cp vs minimum 42cp for commerce).

ct92

HSC
Thank you. I was only about four points off the entrance, so I hope I do get into it. But what you've described sounds pretty simple. I guess that's my decision made.

HSC
correct me if I am wrong (and i may well be) but is it not possible to do an internal transfer from one subject to another after only 1 semester with a gpa of 2.5..... i think you can but i would check with someone who is sure of this. Btw gpa of 2.5 is quite easy to get if u put your mind to it so dont sweat if u dont get in

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
correct me if I am wrong (and i may well be) but is it not possible to do an internal transfer from one subject to another after only 1 semester with a gpa of 2.5..... i think you can but i would check with someone who is sure of this. Btw gpa of 2.5 is quite easy to get if u put your mind to it so dont sweat if u dont get in
That's correct, if you can't get into the combined, then you can do an internal transfer into the other one once you're at MQ. Having said that Law transfers aren't entirely straightforward and I suggest you go ask someone from the Law School before you proceed:

Macquarie Law, Internal Transfer

williamc

HSC
usually a UAI of 90+ and GPA of > 3 is what it takes to be competitive for a combined law transfer

ct92

HSC
usually a UAI of 90+ and GPA of > 3 is what it takes to be competitive for a combined law transfer
I've got the ATAR of 90+ but I'm unfamiliar with the GPA system. What kind of raw marks (if that's the right term) are needed for a GPA of >3?

dolbinau

HSC
I've got the ATAR of 90+ but I'm unfamiliar with the GPA system. What kind of raw marks (if that's the right term) are needed for a GPA of >3?
A GPA of 3 at Macquarie would be a credit average..(so 65%+) (consider it's not the same as getting 65% in HSC of course (where the marks are aligned significantly upwards, usually).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)