• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A R T F I C I A L B L O O D Need Help (1 Viewer)

Imagination

HSC
Can you please help me with the assignment question

• Different types of artifical bood and the positive's and negatives of each
If you help it would be much appreciated

neeny

HSC
Straight from wikipedia: (incase its helpful and you have to reference it)

In 1990s because of the risk of undetected blood bank contamination from AIDS, hepatitis C and other emergent diseases such as Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, there was additional motivation to pursue oxygen therapeutics. Significant progress was achieved, and a hemoglobin-based oxygen therapeutic called Hemopure was approved for Phase III trial (in elective orthopedic surgery) in the U.S., and more widely approved for human use in South Africa.
In December 2003 a new hemoglobin-based oxygen therapeutic, PolyHeme, began field tests in a Phase III trial on emergency patients (in trauma settings) in the U.S. PolyHeme is the 15th experiment to be approved by the Food and Drug Administration since 1996. Patient consent is not necessary under the special category created by the FDA for these experiments. In late 2005, an independent panel verified, after the fourth and final review of 500 trauma patients enrolled in this study by that date, that no statistical evidence of safety concerns had arisen so far in the study. This pivotal study is expected to conclude in mid-2006 with final enrollment of 720 patients. If successful, this trial could lead to Food and Drug Administration approval of PolyHeme for use for severely bleeding trauma victims as early as sometime in 2007. Wired news reports that the PolyHeme trial failed when 47 of the 350 people given PolyHeme died compared to 35 deaths out of 363 in the control group. Debate exists as to whether or not the difference in the mortality rate is attributable to the small sample size. The fact that the experimental subjects did not give consent is a significant factor.[2]
The U. S. Military is one of the greatest proponents of oxygen therapeutics, mainly because of the vital need and benefits in a combat scenario. Since oxygen therapeutics are not yet widely available, the United States Army is experimenting with varieties of dried blood, which takes up less room, weigh less and can be used much longer than blood plasma. Water has to be added prior to use. These properties make it better for first aid during combat than whole blood or packed red cells.

i believe you were actually after the progress towards it?

smithkatlou

HSC
There are two main types of Artificaial Blood; PFC (which stands Perfluorocarbon) and Isolated haemoglobin.
Isolated haemoglobin is still under development (as of 2001) but PFCis not.
PFC has many advantages including a
-12 month shelflife
-is inert and can be pasturised
-Stored at room temp
-as it does not contain the protiens that control blood type, anyone can use it
-there is no problems (as there is with blood transfusions) of spreading disease
-PFC mircodroplets carry about 5tines more oxygen than haemoglobin
-Unlimited resource

One of the negatives that I read about (don't quote me on this..) is that PFC, may be toxic - there are conditions that make it toxic, but I cannot remeber them. It may be that if too much of the blood is replaced then THAT may cause some secondary problems (since the PFC itself is inert, ie. not chemically reactive) stemming from some other part of the blood that is needed, not being delivered to body tissue.

Another problem with PFC is that is cannot preform the clotting function of regular blood since it does not contain platlets. They are current;y trying to solve this problem.

May also have good info, if you haven't already read it :) http://community.boredofstudies.org/showthread.php?t=157772

If you have the Jacaranda HSC Biology 2 textbook, this info is on page 69. :)

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

truestar92

HSC
My teacher did a shity job on teaching us this topic maintaining the balance thank god he's going on leave
I also need help with this artificial blood thing
here are some points I was able to gather from class discussion
Advantages
-completely sterile
-can last for 12months at 25degrees where as real blood can only be stored in a fridge for 5 weeks
-universal and does not cause rejection

disadvantages
-there are no white bloodcells or antibodies to fight infection
-the cost to manufacture is expensive

Notes from Ahmad Shah Idil which can be downloaded from the bio section of this website
– The problems of using real blood:
 Shortage of real blood
 It has to be ‘cross-matched’. This is because, if you receive the wrong type of blood, it can be fatal. This is a great disadvantage in emergency situations.
 It has to be free of infectious agents. Only blood that is free of bacteria and infectious agents (such as HIV) can be used. Testing the blood is costly.
 It has a short shelf-life. Because red blood cells only survive for 3 months, the blood has a short life span (blood can only survive for 3-4 weeks).
– Some proposed replacements for blood:
Perflurochemicals:
o Synthetic and inert
o Cheap to produce
o Can dissolve 50 times more oxygen
o Free of biological materials, therefore no risk of infections
o BUT - must be combined with other materials to mix in with the bloodstream (eg lecithin).
Haemoglobin Based Oxygen Carriers (HBOCs):
o Made from haemoglobin extracted from red blood cells
o Haemoglobin is not contained in membrane - cross matching unnecessary
o Can be stored for a long time
o BUT - haemoglobin tends to oxidise to a different form, break down, and can no longer carry oxygen.
Dextrose Solution:
o Made of 4% glucose solution in a fluid with equal salinity to blood
o Only used to restore blood pressure after accidents.

Allyria

HSC
HI,

If your school library has a 'past HSC Answers' book, look it up in there. Artificial blood questions have been asked three or four times before.
Usually an 'exemplary' response is provided for you. It really gives you a good idea on what key points to include and how to structure your own response, in order to maximise marks without the added 'word waffle'.

good luck!:)

A.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)