A reminder: there is life beyond the HSC (1 Viewer)

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Michael Spence said:
I am an HSC sufferer, survivor and perpetrator. I am a sufferer because one of my sons is doing the HSC right now; a survivor because our household has already been through this twice; and a perpetrator as vice-chancellor of one of Australia's leading universities. I have learnt that there are a few things to remember at this time of year if you are enduring the HSC.

The first is that your HSC results are a measure of your academic performance over a particular 18-month period. They are nothing more than that. At the end of last year I think my son secretly wanted to beat his older brother and sister at the ATAR game. Then his mother died during the Christmas holidays and he remembered that there are many things more important than the HSC. His may be an extreme case, but every 18-year-old is learning things about life far more important than those that their ATAR captures. And every parent is proud of their son or daughter (as I am of mine) for far more important reasons too.

The second is that your ATAR points are not frequent flyer points. You don't have to use them all in the fear they will be ''wasted''. We have hundreds of students with ATARs of 98 and above doing arts degrees. By contrast, I have taught many miserable law students doing the degree out of a grim sense of duty because they were admitted and because they (or their parents) thought that it was the ''right'' thing to do. A university degree makes you more employable: it teaches you crucial skills in critical thinking and in written and oral communication. It prepares you not just for your first job, but for the job after that (perhaps a job that has not been invented yet). You should choose a course that you are excited about, at an institution that seems right for you. And if you sail into the degree with 10 or 15 ATAR points to spare, that is better than using all those points for admission to a degree in which you have no interest.

The third thing to remember is that you are not alone. The HSC experience is a shared one, with students past and present, and no matter what your result, should generate enormous pride. But to help make it through make sure you look after yourself. Take regular study breaks. Eat well. Sleep. Give yourself some time each day to regroup or exercise. Try to be positive as it will help you stay motivated. Even a little study is better than no study at all, so keep going. Do lots of practice exams and try to simulate exam conditions.

Finally, and most importantly, remember that the ATAR does not determine the course of the rest of your life. If you don't do as well as you had hoped - and there are many reasons why people don't - it is not the end of your career hopes. The ATAR determines what you can do for the next three years, or for some for the next year or two. Remember there are opportunities for those who excel while at university to transfer to different courses they might have missed out on originally. Your ATAR may determine whether the route to your career is shorter or longer, but when you first leave school time is on your side.

Incidentally, taking a gap year between school and university, even to stack shelves in a supermarket, is a good idea. People learn important lessons during that year that are not on the HSC syllabus. At Oxford, I taught students in very small groups and there was a noticeable difference among first-year students in the maturity of those who had taken a year out.

So it might surprise you to hear a Vice-Chancellor say it, but the HSC and ATAR are probably far less important than they might seem in many homes right now. On the other hand, hard work never goes astray and achieving the best possible ATAR you can will give you the satisfaction of having done your very best, as well as providing you with the broadest possible range of immediate study options.
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/a-reminder-there-is-life-beyond-the-hsc-20130922-2u7tg.html

Some key points I think everyone taking the HSC should consider during the build-up to your final exams.

flashyGoldFish

HSC
N/A
Such good words (yet people around USYD still think hes the biggest prick to walk on the face of the earth).

Raises a good point in it. The amount of times Ive heard the 'I really just want to do *insert course name here* but I got a 99.7 so i should do law because otherwise my ATAR is wasted' drives me insane. Then law gets the massive drop out rate.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hehe , parents should also not look down on their kids because they got a "shit" atar (points finger at immigrant asian tiger parents )..... That is adding to the problem too!

Crobat

#tyrannosaurusREKT
HSC
But how will I ever live a life of prestige with a low atar????

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
But how will I ever live a life of prestige with a low atar????
People who want to live a life of prestige can do so, but they should not enforce it upon others...

enoilgam

HSC
It's a good article, but I dont think that the message is that groundbreaking for the BoS community considering that the message is so common on this site.

That being said, I dont think people should just go in with the attitude "it's the HSC, who cares". Putting in the hard yards in school does teach you quite a fair bit and as much as people dont think so, it does prepare you somewhat for uni and even the workplace. Also, you ideally want to enter your desired degree directly from High School - yes, you can transfer, but why waste the time when you can put in a bit of effort in school and enter it directly.

I'm not disagreeing with the article, I'm just saying that there is something to be said for trying and putting in an effort with regards to the HSC.

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
It's a good article, but I dont think that the message is that groundbreaking for the BoS community considering that the message is so common on this site.

That being said, I dont think people should just go in with the attitude "it's the HSC, who cares". Putting in the hard yards in school does teach you quite a fair bit and as much as people dont think so, it does prepare you somewhat for uni and even the workplace. Also, you ideally want to enter your desired degree directly from High School - yes, you can transfer, but why waste the time when you can put in a bit of effort in school and enter it directly.

I'm not disagreeing with the article, I'm just saying that there is something to be said for trying and putting in an effort with regards to the HSC.
True. The most useful thing i will probably learn from the hsc isn't the content, but a way to manage time, stress and just work your ass off at times when you need to.

If you don't put any effort into the hsc, this could lead to laziness in uni and work later on which isn't a great habit...

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
True. The most useful thing i will probably learn from the hsc isn't the content, but a way to manage time, stress and just work your ass off at times when you need to.

If you don't put any effort into the hsc, this could lead to laziness in uni and work later on which isn't a great habit...
I can definitely vouch for this.

Honours was a really kick in the teeth without the strong work ethic required.

Raolan

HSC
Don't listen to these fools! If you fail the HSC you'll be working at MccyDeez for the rest of your life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)