A Satire. (1 Viewer)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah I know it's a generalisation - but that's what my friend says to himself all the time during EX2 periods. He says to me, "You know, most of the girls do love stories - and since the markers will have to read tons of them - they'll be pissed, which means my story on memory will be like 100%!"

And yes, Pikachu is awesome - I believe they have something on Facebook like 'Change your display picture to your favourite Pokemon week'. I suppose it's a resurgance. TV shows these days... pale in comparison to Pokemon.

Miseri, yeah... but hopefully I'll get a male with a sense of humour, or a female who can appreciate the value of a satire. Subtle jabs at it, is what I am for. Subtle, intelligent jabs.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Ah well, school's finished for the year... next year. I was actually quite surprised to see the school library stocking love stories... and even books from the Twilight saga... I might hit him with that, it's almost like a mini-phone book.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
PERFECT :D
Then burn the book. And any others that follow in the same series.
I mean, normal love stories are ok [yes, they ARE ;) ], but Twilight is just ridiculous. >>"
And all the stores have now stocked all these vampire-related books; so much so that I can't even find a decent John Grisham/Stephen King novel to bury my nose in when I'm feeling bored in Kmart/Target and waiting for my parents to finish shopping ><".

Lol at going off-topic. :p

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Oh, in the forum I frequent (more than this), it's pretty much given every thread will go off topic. This isn't new for me =P

Have you read the Green Mile? I personally liked that one.

But yeah, unfortunately the popular books are not exactly the good ones anymore... in this day and age.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
I have not in fact read The Green Mile. Shall put it on my list of 'To-read-during-the-hols'. My favourite is Firestarter :) It's heartbreakingly sad. I know his books are meant to be scary, but Stephen King has made me cry more often than he's made me fear the monster under my bed. (There is a monster there, you know. But it only comes out on the nights that I watch horror movies. I think it can smell my fear O.O)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
There was a girl I knew who read Stephen King, and was reading "It". However, she hated me - and therefore I didn't read his books. Until I was on holidays and I saw the Green Mile with its interesting cover - read it, and liked it. So I like Stephen King, just not her =P

I found the one book I've read of him, quite entertaining and very vivid. Nice imagery. So no, I don't find his stuff scary =P

exit-stage-left

HSC
My friend once borrowed 'The Notebook' from the school library and left it with her stuff and came back to find a post it note which said, 'RUBBISH!' stuck to the front cover. Our English teacher later confessed.
He's also done the same thing to several Jodi Picoult books :)

Anyway, that's beside the point.

What topic are you doing for Ext1? In Crime Writing one of our prescribed texts is the short play, 'The Real Inspector Hound' by Tom Stoppard. It's mainly a satire on crime fiction and a mocking of 'the critic'... it's probably one of the best satires I've read, very funny :) I don't know how familiar you are with the crime genre/detective story... but it is a really good example of a satire in my opinion. So maybe worth a read if you can get yours hands on it?

But also the thing is that it is one of our PRESCRIBED texts, so the Board seems to think that satires do have something to offer. At least in this case. Even when one of the main things it is criticising is how people over analyse texts and attempt to find a deeper meaning in things where there just isn't one (which is arguably exactly what we do in Adv and Ext1). :)

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Extension 1... oh yes, "Textual Dynamics". It's actually sparked an interest in... romantic fiction. Oh God, I need help - I never thought I'd say that, but the French Lieutenant's Woman is a good read... I must admit.

So you think this book would still be okay? I'm completely venturing into new territory - no one else has ever done a stream-of-consciousness satire before, to my knowledge.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
It was gonna be a stream-of-consciousness satire, now it's a mockery of it, with not-so-subtle digs at the genre, along with John Fowles-isms in his out of character commentary on what is going on, with things like "She, to him, was the best person at this thing I am about to tell you..."

I think it adds to the humour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)