A Second Chance?! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel18

HSC
N/A
Hey all :D

I was wondering whether or not I could re-do subjects which I didn’t score high in to improve my marks thus raising my GPA?... the reason I ask this is because I was under the impression that if I failed a subject which I didn’t really have time to study for, I would get another chance to re-do the subject in summer and improve my GPA! Is this how it works?

An explanatory answer would be much appreciated

Thnx lots

tehpyro

Lord of Bored
HSC
Once a subject is completed, what you receive is, as far as my knowledge extends, your final mark. If you fail that subject, you can retake it again, but I believe both the fail and the second mark become part of your GPA.

witide

HSC
Once a subject is completed, what you receive is, as far as my knowledge extends, your final mark. If you fail that subject, you can retake it again, but I believe both the fail and the second mark become part of your GPA.
I'm pretty sure that's it. The only time you can repeat a subject is if you failed it.

angel18

HSC
N/A
Thank you both for your replies tho I'm a tad confused ...

http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/tehpyro/
Tehpyro- when you say "both your 2nd mark and your fail mark" become part of your GPA- how would this work? if I understood you correctly, you might as well fail a sub if you feel your marks are not adequate and just re-do the whole sub thus increasing your GPA as opposed to just "passing" the sub and receiving a crap GPA?

I mean hypothetically;

Joe Blog failed marketing foundations in sem 2 ending the year with a GPA of 2.0. In order to proceed to sem 1 of yr 2, he needed to resit the sub again in summer school. He did so and finished with a HD ... how would they incorporate this "new" mark and how would his GPA be affected?

Sorry if i've caused any confusion lol

layzeehbum

HSC
Thank you both for your replies tho I'm a tad confused ...

Tehpyro- when you say "both your 2nd mark and your fail mark" become part of your GPA- how would this work? if I understood you correctly, you might as well fail a sub if you feel your marks are not adequate and just re-do the whole sub thus increasing your GPA as opposed to just "passing" the sub and receiving a crap GPA?

I mean hypothetically;

Joe Blog failed marketing foundations in sem 2 ending the year with a GPA of 2.0. In order to proceed to sem 1 of yr 2, he needed to resit the sub again in summer school. He did so and finished with a HD ... how would they incorporate this "new" mark and how would his GPA be affected?

Sorry if i've caused any confusion lol
I'm not so sure how it works but to my understanding, it's something along like this,
- the GPA grade for HD is 4
- And lets assume the cp for each subjects taken are 6 cps
- During the normal year you've already taken 48cps, with the total GPA of 2.0

So your new GPA would be
= 96 + (4*6) / 48 + 6 = 2.22

John555

HSC
I'm pretty sure if you fail a unit, then repeat the unit and pass then both the fail and pass will be included in your GPA. Also, after you have finished a unit you cannot redo it in the hopes of improving your mark.

Remember that ALL FAILS stay and remain on your record.

angel18

HSC
N/A
Based on what everybody has said, in my opinion, purposely failing a sub in order to re-do it sounds appealing! I mean if both the fail and the "new mark" are averaged, then the max you could obtain for any sub is a credit (assuming u achieved a HD)... this would increase your GPA as opposed to just "passing" (50-64) the sub thus not getting a 2nd chance to re-do it and receiving a crap GPA because of it...

I realize that failing would entail a big fat F on your academic record for the sub, but in all honesty, your record is only ever looked at when applying for post grad studies e.g. medicine/dentistry OR if you decide to change unis/courses..other than that, having a fail on ur record wouldn't jeopardize any possible chance of getting a position in any field AND it would hypothetically mean the difference between graduating in the Distinction group instead of the Credit group

hope that makes sense :)

joy1889

HSC
Based on what everybody has said, in my opinion, purposely failing a sub in order to re-do it sounds appealing! I mean if both the fail and the "new mark" are averaged, then the max you could obtain for any sub is a credit (assuming u achieved a HD)... this would increase your GPA as opposed to just "passing" (50-64) the sub thus not getting a 2nd chance to re-do it and receiving a crap GPA because of it...

I realize that failing would entail a big fat F on your academic record for the sub, but in all honesty, your record is only ever looked at when applying for post grad studies e.g. medicine/dentistry OR if you decide to change unis/courses..other than that, having a fail on ur record wouldn't jeopardize any possible chance of getting a position in any field AND it would hypothetically mean the difference between graduating in the Distinction group instead of the Credit group

hope that makes sense :)
Your academic records are looked at by all your potential employees when you are applying for any graduate position. There's enough bullshitting going on with resumes so it's the only place that employees will fully trust. So contrary to your understanding, having a "big fat F" does look very bad, especially if your academic transcript has more than one fail...

Also, don't think that you will automatically get a HD or a D just because you already did the subject before - the rate of a pass decreases dramatically with every fail. You also need to counter in the fact that it's around $1,000 per Business subject added onto your HECS HELP account (even more for international students) not to mention dragging on your degree.

In summary = Bad academic transcript + more money spent and more time wasted idle in University when you could've done well the first time and started earning money earlier.

Last edited:

angel18

HSC
N/A
Your academic records are looked at by all your potential employees when you are applying for any graduate position
I was told otherwise- that one's academic transcript is personal and no ones business especially that of a potential employee whom would only be interested in your qualifications and maybe your overall GPA if it came to crunch... but if this isn't the case then I stand to be corrected :)

With this in mind, I wouldn't think having a fail would jeopardize your transcript too extensively... a fail could reflect anything e.g. personal problems/issues at the time and doesn't necessarily reflect inadequacy in certain areas which is why I don't believe ones transcript plays a "major" part in the decision making of a potential employee

don't think that you will automatically get a HD or a D just because you already did the subject before - the rate of a pass decreases dramatically with every fail.

As for thinking that one could automatically obtain a HD, well "automatically" is an understatement and by no means was I implying such notion! of course obtaining a HD isn't easy and is rewarded to those who actually put in the hard yards, but I disagree that the 2nd time round would be even harder... not only do you have all the course materials marked and with feedback (quizzes, assignments, pracs), but you also have a feel for the course material, how the exams were and where you could improve making it EASIER to pass with flying colours... I've come across many ppl who failed miserably the first time round and aced it the next ... with this in mind, im not saying that ALL people re-taking a sub would score a HD but am not disputing the fact that they would score higher the 2nd time round assuming they put in the effort and work harder at their flaws

You also need to counter in the fact that it's around $1,000 per Business subject added onto your HECS HELP account (even more for international students) not to mention dragging on your degree.

As for the money side of things, I couldn't agree more... courses don't come cheap and obviously the more subjects failed, the bigger the hole in one's wallet or purse in our case =P but in saying so, in the overall scheme of things, you wouldn't really feel the pinch over a failed sub or 2 (which mind you is expected in any course you do) and what I was originally considering doing as a last resort in order to salvage my GPA especially now that I'm approaching the end of my journey

Either way, I do thank you guys for ur input and will definitely tread carefully and think twice about "purposely" failing :)

manavji

HSC
N/A
If you wana go to uni with the attitude of failing a unit and tryin harder next time in the same unit.. u mite as well just drop out of uni and do trade or somethin... coz all those fail's are gona look very sh!t compared to a couple of HD's / D's on your transcript.

I dont know what you lot are talking about GPA calculations... but if you fail a unit.. it counts as a ZERO on your GPA

for example if you do 4 units in a sem.. u get 3 passes and 1 fail (not sure how many points you get at UTS for a pass... but lets say 1 point for a pass) then:

1+1+1+0 = 3
3 / 4 units
GPA = 0.75

Even if you repeat that unit with a HD it wont help your GPA that much.. Instead you should pass that unit first time around.. and then get a HD next semester in another unit... then your GPA would be much higher.

angel18

HSC
N/A
if you fail a unit.. it counts as a ZERO on your GPA
According to student center help desk, this is not entirely true... I was told that your old mark and your new mark are both incorporated into a NEW GPA as explained in above posts...depending on what your new mark is, lets say HD, your GPA would increase by a "credit" MAX- if that makes sense... with this said, your GPA does in fact increase BUT the downfall- in a sense- is having a fail under your name

If you wana go to uni with the attitude of failing a unit and tryin harder next time in the same unit.. u mite as well just drop out of uni and do trade or somethin...
Who said anything about going to uni with a "failing" attitude?!... I was merely questioning the options I thought I had (well still do but at the expense of a fail which doesn't sound appealing ESP if potential exployees have access to my record) but anyway as alot of us would know from experience, a 4 sub semester (full time) can be demanding at times esp as you dwell deeper into your course and the content becomes harder and harder... that said, rather than "just" scraping thru with a "pass", it seemed appealing to purposely fail it so you could re-do it, "hopefully" score a HD and then be rewarded with an overall CREDIT instead of a PASS thus increasing your GPA... but like with anything, our choices come at a price- too many fails against your name isn't a good reflection on anyone...

HSC
I was told otherwise- that one's academic transcript is personal and no ones business especially that of a potential employee whom would only be interested in your qualifications and maybe your overall GPA if it came to crunch... but if this isn't the case then I stand to be corrected :)
Most graduate programs ask for a transcript to date during the application process.

joy1889

HSC
..but you also have a feel for the course material, how the exams were and where you could improve making it EASIER to pass with flying colours...
That's what you'd think would happen but reality is always different from what you had in mind. Surveys run by the faculties (funny you haven't seen it yet - or are you going into first year?) have proven that the majority of students who fail in a subject their first time are more likely to fail the next time.

Who said anything about going to uni with a "failing" attitude?!...
Uhm, you, by creating a thread called "A Second Chance" in regards to failing to get a 'higher mark'.

Yeah, maybe if you want to work at McDonalds after you graduate.

Whoever told you that is screwing with your mind. Stay away from them and stop being so gullible. :)

courses don't come cheap and obviously the more subjects failed, the bigger the hole in one's wallet or purse in our case =P but in saying so, in the overall scheme of things, you wouldn't really feel the pinch over a failed sub or 2 (which mind you is expected in any course you do)
Huh? Now who told you that? You're not "expected" to fail if you put in the hard work. Again, whoever told you that it is expected of you to fail "a sub or 2" is screwing with your mind. Stay away from them and stop being so gullible. :)

-----

Moral of the story: Do your fucking best *the first time* and stop thinking about failing. And definitely stop posting retarded assumptions on the Internet. Best of luck for the new semester :) If you do fail, well, I guess you should hold onto your dreams that it's always easier the second time around.

Last edited:

angel18

HSC
N/A
creating a thread called "A Second Chance" in regards to failing to get a 'higher mark'.
I believe there has been a mis-understanding behind the true cause of this thread particularly you, Joy, but not to worry luv, I will rectify all that needs to be rectified ;) You obviously mis-interpreted the title and the “purpose” of this thread…it doesn’t imply going to uni with a “FAILING ATTITUDE” anyone with brains would know that walking into uni- esp a science course- with a mind frame of crashing and burning is not the key to success especially where I’m headed.. as I said before to madavikil, I was merely questioning the options I “thought” I had as a backup (if you will) in times of desperation- the thought of obtaining a credit instead of “just” scrapping through with a “pass” would appeal to anyone (not just me) and if it meant obtaining an even HIGHER GPA AS WELL then I wanted answers... thus the underlying purpose of this thread was to find out whether this was so (confirmed by the student center and the help of others) AS WELL AS what the weighting of the entailing consequences were (how bad of a reflection a “fail or 2” would be) I to this point do not see how I’ve perceived a “failing” attitude, Joy, when all I’ve been doing is seeking the truth in a quest to salavage any possible future jeopardization of my GPA and to graduate with the highest POSSIBLE GPA.. if there were loop holes around it, I wanted to know :) I wouldn’t think of my attitude as failing, I would think of it as DETERMINED.. INQUISITIVE and WILLING to go out there and find all possible ways of achieving the BEST gpa for me! Hope that clarifies “my attitude toward uni” Joy ;)

You're not "expected" to fail if you put in the hard work. Again, whoever told you that it is expected of you to fail "a sub or 2" is screwing with your mind
I used the term “expecting” loosely thus again being “mis-interpreted” by you, Joy, but not to worry that was my fault I should have been more specific about what I meant… to begin with “no one told me” that it’s inevitable one will fail a sub or 2- don’t jump to conclusions luv as they are the mother of all F***ups- just a word of advise ;) what I meant to say was, talking from experience, it’s not SURPRISING to hear from a graduate that during the duration of their course it wasn’t all roses… In theory “putting in the effort as you put it” rewards you with grades, but as I stated previously, its not all about effort and a fail could reflect ANYTHING…hypothetically, sometimes there are other circumstances occurring at the time which are beyond your control so much so they even impede your studies i.e. death of a loved one- and its not “surprising” a fail may come knocking on ones door (NOT because they didn’t want to study, NOT because the ATTITUDE wasn’t there but merely events which possess our mind frame at which we are helpless to control) so don’t jump to the conclusion in thinking a fail meant lack of effort- it could reflect anything!

That's what you'd think would happen but reality is always different from what you had in mind. Surveys run by the faculties have proven that the majority of students who fail in a subject their first time are more likely to fail the next time.

Whether or not I’ve seen the statistics is irrelevant- YES the statistics reveal that the majority of students who fail first time are likely to fail the next- but they’re just that- statistics… they don’t reveal WHY students fail in their 2nd re-take... the true reasons behind the high failure rate we will never know, but I’m pretty certain the underlying reason reflects a poor “cant be bothered”, its holidays why am I back here doing this again, I wanna hang out with friends attitude- don’t ya think? I highly doubt the high rate of failures is due to “not understanding the course even after having done it the 1st time round”… I’m not disputing the fact that a small percentage of people just “don’t get it” no matter how hard or how many times they try- in which case you would find they would have dropped out first year- 2nd max- and gone on to do things that suit their capabilities… SO, back to what I was saying, I stand by the fact that with effort and the willingness to learn and seek help when required, a majority would pass the 2nd time round

or are you going into first year?

I’m actually way past 1st year and am well into my course and am doing very well might I add- as surprising as it may seem I’m yet to fail a sub and don’t intend to either if I can help it :D

stop being so gullible
Being gullible is non-existent in my vocabulary… I question EVERYTHING especially when it involves my future which is why I turned to this thread for guidance and the student centre just as a reconfirmation and a peace of mind :)

stop posting retarded assumptions on the Internet

Don't tell me what to do- this forum is free for all and I dont see "please consult Joy for approval of what and when to post" as for retarded assumptions- LOL- asking students for their thoughts and opinions is by no means stating "assumptions" i'm not stating anything- I'm merely trying to question and understand where I stand is all and there's no crime against that Joy :).. maybe you should stop jumping to your "retarded" conclusions and look before you leap...

Now on a more positive note, good luck to you to- the 1st of March seemed so long ago and now its fast approaching... in a couple of weeks it will be back to business :)

Last edited:

layzeehbum

HSC
omg..

just study ur a** off.
that's all u need to know.

if u fail, then thats too bad, but try again.
if you're still failing, then look at other options: like doing part time instead of full time, or get help from peer tutors or friends.

dont forget to get involved in outside activities, e.g.: sport, music, volunteering, etc.
employers also dont reali want people who dont have a life.

dude01

HSC
Bottom line is a fail fucks up your GPA (fail = 0 in gpa terms) and looks horible on your transcript. IMO too many passes with marks in the 50's also looks bad but is still way better than having a fail.

Oh, and employers do check your transcript. In some industries people who don't have a credit average at least are automatically culled and don't even make it to the interview stage.

angel18

HSC
N/A
Oh, and employers do check your transcript. In some industries people who don't have a credit average at least are automatically culled and don't even make it to the interview stage.
dont forget to get involved in outside activities, e.g.: sport, music, volunteering, etc.
employers also dont reali want people who dont have a life.
Thank you both so much for your constructive advise - knowing this DEFINITELY changes everything :)

joy1889

HSC
I’m actually way past 1st year and am well into my course and am doing very well might I add- as surprising as it may seem I’m yet to fail a sub and don’t intend to either if I can help it :D
Okay - if you're doing "quite well" as you claim, why would you post a thread regarding failing to get a better mark?

Being gullible is non-existent in my vocabulary… I question EVERYTHING especially when it involves my future which is why I turned to this thread for guidance and the student centre just as a reconfirmation and a peace of mind :)
Haha! I'm sorry but you were the one who believed that employers don't check academic transcripts because it would "hurt our feelings".Or was this another "misinterpretation"? If it is in your nature to question "EVERYTHING", you would've called at least two or three of your potential employers and asked whether they check academic transcripts. But you didn't, did you?

Also, gullible people never know they're gullible ;)

Have a great day.

angel18

HSC
N/A
Okay - if you're doing "quite well" as you claim, why would you post a thread regarding failing to get a better mark?
As stated previously:

As alot of us would know from experience, a 4 sub semester (full time) can be demanding at times esp as you dwell deeper into your course and the content becomes harder and harder... that said, rather than "just" scraping thru with a "pass", it seemed appealing to purposely fail it so you could re-do it, "hopefully" score a HD and then be rewarded with an overall CREDIT instead of a PASS thus increasing your GPA
In times of desperation when certain circumstances occur which we have no control over..they in turn possess our mind frame thus impeding our studies and its not “surprising” a fail may come knocking on ones door
---------------

Haha! I'm sorry but you were the one who believed that employers don't check academic transcripts because it would "hurt our feelings".Or was this another "misinterpretation"?
“Hurt our feelings”?! LMAO yet another misinterpretation on your behalf- although I’m not surprised- you seem to have developed a case of “selective reading” my friend. Let me refresh your memory just in case you "purposely" turned a blind eye and read only what YOU wanted to read thus leaving you susceptible to misinterpretations galore and thus flawed arguments...

As stated previously:

I was told otherwise- that one's academic transcript is personal and no ones business especially that of a potential employee whom would only be interested in your qualifications and maybe your overall GPA if it came to crunch... I wouldn't think having a fail would jeopardize your transcript too extensively... a fail could reflect anything e.g. personal problems/issues at the time and doesn't necessarily reflect inadequacy in certain areas which is why I don't believe ones transcript plays a "major" part in the decision making of a potential employee
I still to this point fail to see how I implied such notion when I was merely questioning the effect of having a "fail" on your record and what this would mean for you and the impact it would have on your future employee's decision... I argued a fail could be a reflection of numerous things OTHER than the typical common thought of- didn't study hard enough... wasn't able to grasp concepts and is therefore not worthy of such position...

---------------

If it is in your nature to question "EVERYTHING", you would've called at least two or three of your potential employers and asked whether they check academic transcripts. But you didn't, did you?
Ahh! so first it was my attitude and NOW it’s my nature you’re questioning?! LOL you never cease to amaze me, Joy :haha:

---------------

FINALLY... on my behalf, I’ve decided to put a closure to this now pointless thread. It has served it’s purpose and am thankful to those who actually contributed something worth while grasping :)

Joy, I don’t have time for your childish antics nor your stubborn responses which serve no purpose and are only but a reflection of some nobody seeking attention… My agenda was not to argue and stir sh!t with you and is beyond me why you even bothered contributing to this thread with your meaningless discussion!

Also, tis best to keep your mouth shut and let people think you’re a fool than to open it and remove all doubt- just some advise ;) oh and luv… no hard feelings :)

Thnx for your input guys. xx

joy1889

HSC
Joy, I don’t have time for your childish antics nor your stubborn responses which serve no purpose and are only but a reflection of some nobody seeking attention… My agenda was not to argue and stir sh!t with you and is beyond me why you even bothered contributing to this thread with your meaningless discussion!
It was quite a pleasure, really! (Although I find it quite funny you think my name is 'Joy' - you don't see me calling you 'Angel')

That being said, I don't think my contribution was meaningless as you so outrightly claim - I believe I told you that employers do indeed check academic transcripts. And trust me, they do. I couldn't resist arguing since your assertion that it was 'too personal' was just too ridiculous! Anyway, :wave:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)