"a smart student in a bad education system will achieve more academically... (1 Viewer)

aimhigh10

HSC
i think that it depends on the enthusiasm because if the dumb student is encouraged by the teachers etc, they may feel motivated to work hard and achieve results whereas the smart student may not have that motivation.
It really depends on the student and their own attitude(s) towards their education and education in general.

Felix Jones

HSC
you cannot ignore the influence of outside factors on your education. but at the same time there are highly disciplined students that can very easily cope with it, me i can't but i put extra effort at home (sometimes..when there's nothing on TV).

also if the student is somewhat slightly intellectually challenged then most of the support will be in vain. see this is the problem with social sciences and why it's soo damn behind the sciences of biology, chemistry and physics. there is no definite answer and the number of contributing factors are just too many. most of the problems can never be 'solved' but rather debated till eternity.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Yes, definitely yes.

"Smart" students are far more likely to work independently on their owns while "dum" students are not. HSC is more about independent studies.

nerdsforever

hsc zomg
HSC
Yes. Depends on the student. As for me, I work better with dumb students in subjects I am good at. But I work better with smart students in subjects I suck in

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
Fuck no...

dumb kid at a good school Vs. a reasonably smart kid at a dumb school.

People often draw their motivation and from the atmosphere around them this is why at selective schools the kids do so well, not only because they are smart but because of the mentality of the student body as a whole. You also have the whole class doing well which pushes up your marks. I don't know about the rest of you, but i personally don't feel much of a sense of accomplishment when I do really well against people who are obviously not as good as me at something.

If you are in an environment that presents inferior opportunities in comparison to your potential, you are likely to grow complacent about your academic superiority in relation to your cohort thus developing a stagnant academic lifestyle. Perfection is a myth, it does not exist within human beings, in thinking that we are perfect we only move further away from any hope of ever truly attaining it. Conversely if you are in a more academically competitive environment you would be more inclined to strive to remain ahead of (or keep up with) of those around you.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Anus McLovin said:
Simple answer.

It varies case by case.
agreed. impossible to realistically answer this question, too generalised.

SimonLee13

HSC
Achieving academically is based on effort, not intelligence (well at least for hsc).

duxplz

HSC
i see many people who have no motivation or intelligence to cope with the hsc attempting it (probably weren't allowed to drop out in year 10 to do their haridressing apprenticeship...aha) and its just a waste of time for everyone.
no matter how good the teachers are, they're not able to force anyone who cbf to learn. then the dumb kids complain when they're not up to the standard of everyone else who gives a shit? ugh. i'm generalising i know, sue me.
although it does vary from student to student, one with the type of intelligence measured in the hsc will definately be better off. you can blame the system all you want, but thats just being lazy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)