• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A specific threat to Australia (1 Viewer)

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
I like it when people try to compare dictatorships (namely Hitler) to Howard.

I could only wish that moves like these are a step towards Australia becoming more authoritarian; rest assured lefties.. It isn't! :rolleyes: and you know it as well.. But the "it's cool to put howard down by saying that he's like adolf Hitler.. Saying that he's an enemy of the worker.. Saying that he's a conservative old bastard!" attitude is so old.. I was sick of it when people started.. I'm even more sick of it now. The problem lies not with Howard, but in his lack of opposition; he is not responsible for his lack of opposition, the ALP is because they are currently so pathetic. Asking him to 'act dead' isn't playing the game fairly, and though it's what his enemies wish he would do.. Seriously? come on?! as if..

Oooh yes, it's his enabling act.. Yes he's taking away our civil liberties, our rights omg omg! :rolleyes: I would be jumping up and down with joy if it were so.. But it's not? So why say it is? It's the same as in Fahrenheit 9/11, Moore goes "it was a very sad day for the African American community".. As if he expects the populace to stand back with their hands waving, their mouths open going "ohhhh oh my god, that's so terrible!". No body cares. Similarly, some lefties in Australia go "oh my god he's eroding our civil liberties, hes eroding this, he’s destroying our rights.. Omg arbitrary arrest! Shoot to kill policy.. Shit!!!!"... Even if he WAS eroding our liberties and was committing massive abuses of power.. (which he isn't)... the majority of people wouldn't care? Because only criminals use things like civil liberties anyway.. And do you think the shoot to kill policy will be used on a 5 year old child? As if? People can see past that paranoid “oooh government/police out to get us alllllll” bullcrap thank GOD.
Fuck you are insane.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Generator said:
They didn't introduce both today, leetom. Edit: This is 'merely' an amendment that appears to have bipartisan support; it isn't the actual bill (although that will be introduced soon). Besides, given the pathetic timeframes that the Parliament has to debate and investigate each bill, I doubt that there's any fear of an overlap causing a problem or two :rolleyes:.
Deep down I knew that, I just wanted to say 'endangering to the nation'.

Generator

HSC
N/A
leetom said:
Deep down I knew that, I just wanted to say 'endangering to the nation'.
Heh forever with the rhetorical flourish.

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:

I could only wish that moves like these are a step towards Australia becoming more authoritarian; rest assured lefties.. It isn't! :rolleyes: and you know it as well.. But the "it's cool to put howard down by saying that he's like adolf Hitler.. Saying that he's an enemy of the worker.. Saying that he's a conservative old bastard!" attitude is so old.. I was sick of it when people started.. I'm even more sick of it now. The problem lies not with Howard, but in his lack of opposition; he is not responsible for his lack of opposition, the ALP is because they are currently so pathetic. Asking him to 'act dead' isn't playing the game fairly, and though it's what his enemies wish he would do.. Seriously? come on?! as if..

Oooh yes, it's his enabling act.. Yes he's taking away our civil liberties, our rights omg omg! :rolleyes: I would be jumping up and down with joy if it were so.. But it's not? So why say it is? It's the same as in Fahrenheit 9/11, Moore goes "it was a very sad day for the African American community".. As if he expects the populace to stand back with their hands waving, their mouths open going "ohhhh oh my god, that's so terrible!". No body cares. Similarly, some lefties in Australia go "oh my god he's eroding our civil liberties, hes eroding this, he’s destroying our rights.. Omg arbitrary arrest! Shoot to kill policy.. Shit!!!!"... Even if he WAS eroding our liberties and was committing massive abuses of power.. (which he isn't)... the majority of people wouldn't care? Because only criminals use things like civil liberties anyway.. And do you think the shoot to kill policy will be used on a 5 year old child? As if? People can see past that paranoid “oooh government/police out to get us alllllll” bullcrap thank GOD.
Not-That-Bright said:
Fuck you are insane.
:uhhuh: I rest my case. Your inability to look beyond your obviously extreme right-wing ideology makes your arguments prone to almost childish hyperbole.

gerhard

HSC
Im pretty sure alot of the militant lefties from Sydney Uni could be arrested under these laws.

boris

Banned
HSC
Ah see it is a touchy touchy topic. Nobody ever wants to offend the P.C, but nobody wants to get blown up either.
I see it like this. We have freedom of speech in this country. Now, saying you support terrorism attacks on Australia, or Western Nations doesn't automatically make you a willing participant in a terrorist organisation. And apparently in this country you have the right to say whatever you want.
HOWEVER. It is absolutely beyond my comprehension why people would willingly stay in this country, whilst at the same time condemning our way of life. I raise my hand for deportation. The P.C squeal that if they're Australian born, they cannot be deported. But really, what do you do with an Australian born citizen who loathes I way of life?

I don't know whether to agree or disagree with some of the legislation. I think it's a knee jerk reaction, but at the same time we've never before needed this type of protection.

boris

Banned
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:

Seriously. What the hell?

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
Anti-Mathmite said:
Why would i want to look past my extreme right wing idealogy? Nothing to the left is valuable.

Don't worry John, they don't *really* believe that it is some huge conspiracy, it's just ANOTHER attempt to make people scared of the government . :rolleyes:

If the media/left wants to put crap on Howard and make Australians lose faith in him then they need to start releasing facts like how stacks of refugees are still coming in... How more immigration is occuring now then under labor (if that's possible)... Stuff that Australians actually care about?
Because so far they have been saying things that if were true... Then Australians would actually HAPPY about it.. It's like saying "You better not like this person... They are cooking you a nice big CHOC cake!"..
This huge conspiracy to make people feel scared of John Howard is frightening.. A hint.. You need to realease facts that actually scare people, to make them scared! WoW!

Ohh.. But then the left would be attacking! itself! wouldn't! it!?!! And Labor would be no better in that aspect would it? Predicaments, predicaments :rolleyes:
You're posts are so vitriolic I wonder if you're even capable of admiting the possibility of fallibility for the current leadership.

I know it's perhaps a cliched response, but you really would have done well in Germany. Ein führer indeed.
:rolleyes:

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Guess who can't keep a secret? PM in hot water

By Marian Wilkinson and Tom Allard
November 4, 2005

The Prime Minister, John Howard, has been accused of jeopardising a year-long operation by state and federal police targeting terrorist suspects in Sydney and Melbourne.

The Government used an extraordinary Senate sitting yesterday to pass an amendment to anti-terrorism law to tackle what Mr Howard described as a "potential threat" to the nation.

While declining to give details on operational grounds, Mr Howard said the move had been prompted by "specific intelligence and police information this week which gives cause for serious concern".

Labor supported the amendment but the shadow attorney-general, Nicola Roxon, said the Prime Minister needed to assure the public that "oper- ational matters have not been compromised as a result of the actions the Government took".

The move is believed to have taken some senior police by surprise. The investigation into the threat has been under way for many months, police sources say, and the blanket media coverage given to Mr Howard's announcement may have alerted some suspects.

The operation is believed to be related to an investigation into the Pakistani terrorist group Lashkar e-Toiba and its associates. In June and July this year, ASIO and police conducted raids in Sydney and Melbourne and brought in several suspects for questioning. Among them was a man who had trained with Lashkar e-Toiba before it was listed as a terrorist organisation.

Also raided in Melbourne was Abdul Nacer Benbrika, a radical Algerian sheik who holds significant influence over a group of young students. Several Sydney suspects had travelled to Melbourne to meet Benbrika and his students.

The sheik later publicly denounced the ASIO raids and in a separate incident claimed he had been abducted and assaulted by unknown assailants. He was also charged in late August with fraud offences.

Labor's homeland security spokesman, Arch Bevis, was briefed on the Government's intelligence and said the Government was justified in rushing through yesterday's legal amendment.

But he, too, questioned whether Mr Howard's announcement was wise from a "purely operational security perspective".

Mr Bevis also said that, whether deliberate or otherwise, the announcement "maximised the Government's political benefit".

"We offered to push the amendment through last night," he said. "That meant the authorities could have done their arrests by this morning."

Intelligence sources also expressed their surprise at Mr Howard's tactics.

Typically, when alarming information is gleaned, a well-rehearsed set of procedures is put into place. These normally involve high-level meetings among senior intelligence personnel, government officials and law enforcement officers.

"That certainly didn't happen," said one source. "No one was called back into the office. The proper procedures weren't followed."

Mr Howard also did not order any increase in the terrorism alert level.

Mr Howard's revelation of the threat, on which he briefed the NSW and Victorian premiers, Morris Iemma and Steve Bracks, did, however, swing the states behind his whole package of controversial counter-terrorism laws, including preventive detention and control orders.

- SMH

spell check

HSC
this couldn't have been scripted better

apparently it's more important for the nation to pass legislation aiming to prevent terrorist attacks than it is to actually prevent terrorist attacks

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
apparently it's more important for the nation to pass legislation aiming to prevent terrorist attacks than it is to actually prevent terrorist attacks

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I_F

Last edited:

Generator

HSC
N/A
Police rift over PM's terror alert

JOHN Howard's decision to publicly reveal a terror threat against the country has opened a new rift between ASIO and state and federal police forces concerned about the security of counter-terrorism operations.

The spy agency and police forces have been at loggerheads over the Government's decision on Wednesday to seek the immediate recall of the Senate for the urgent passage of a new anti-terrorism law.

[continued - see link]

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
this couldn't have been scripted better

I doubt this could have been done privately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)