A waste to do a masters in accounting if you already have an undergrad in it? (1 Viewer)

wakeywakey

HSC
N/A
I only have a pass GPA for my undergraduate degree in accounting at UWS, due to my earlier years of slacking off.

I'm motivated to do well now. I am applying for any accounting related job I can get, but just in case I won't be employed in something related for a year, do you think it's a good idea to do an accounting masters, or something business, and get higher marks for it?

I know I can't get into USYD or UNSW Masters of Accounting because they require a credit average.

I'd really like to get into the Big 4 one day.

Thanks

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
I only have a pass GPA for my undergraduate degree in accounting at UWS, due to my earlier years of slacking off.

I'm motivated to do well now. I am applying for any accounting related job I can get, but just in case I won't be employed in something related for a year, do you think it's a good idea to do an accounting masters, or something business, and get higher marks for it?

I know I can't get into USYD or UNSW Masters of Accounting because they require a credit average.

I'd really like to get into the Big 4 one day.

Thanks
Only if you can't grab some fulltime work and begin the CA. I'd say the best option would be to aim for a small firm traineeship and start working towards CA, which once you obtain, will put you in a good position for Big 4 (making your uni marks less relevant).

wakeywakey

HSC
N/A
Only if you can't grab some fulltime work and begin the CA. I'd say the best option would be to aim for a small firm traineeship and start working towards CA, which once you obtain, will put you in a good position for Big 4 (making your uni marks less relevant).
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I think any accounting experience I can get would be very useful for my career, especially if they support my CA studies. I really want accounting experience, regardless of whether I get a masters or not, because having just education and no experience seems a bit silly.

Now it's just a matter of getting that accounting experience...

Has anyone ever worked for free just to get your foot into the door?

silentmalek

sugar we're goin down
HSC
Go work in a mid-tier firm and complete your CA.

Then look at masters. No one is really going to look seriously at a masters student with no practical experience.

wakeywakey

HSC
N/A
Go work in a mid-tier firm and complete your CA.

Then look at masters. No one is really going to look seriously at a masters student with no practical experience.
Thanks. Yeah, mid-tier firms would be great to get into. I just hope I get into any accounting job within 6 months of graduating. I have heaps of customer service experience, but no accounting experience.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)