• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

A1 (1 Viewer)

HSC
i have heard a bit about the new A1 series and it sounds interesting. but if there are to many countrys then how are they goning to choose the ones who race?
any other comments??

gibbo67

HSC
it sounds like a more rounded competition that will put the skill of the driver to a greater test than in formula 1 where car/engine development and pit crews make the greatest difference.

sound like a good idea - as a breeding ground or nursery for future f1 drivers, it wouldn't give the team with the most money the greatest advantage either so that would allow more entrants than f1 where the startup costs are much higher.

gibbo67

HSC
in a nutshell:

basically the teams are based on nationality where local sponsors provide the initial capital; all cars are of standard production by Lola so team investment in technology is done away with BUT teams can do usual configuration such as gear ratios and front/rear wing aerodynamic adjustments; racing is conducted in the f1 off-season; new award and racing system, all designed to make races tighter than f1 and to level the playing field

http://www.a1gp.com/home.html

H

head

The March edition of Australian F1 racing included an A1 GP DVD. It was a good introduction to the series, which as I said, will be very interesting. What I am interested in next is who will be driving for the teams. Mario Dominguez might be driving the Mexican car and Ralph Firman the Great Britain outfit (even though he is Irish). Ralph Firman was the first to test the cars.

HSC
I saw in a story on T.V that the main idea was for a Motorsport series to cover the Winter period when the F1's aren't running? I doubt it will be that successful at all ... apparently they want to hold one of the rounds in Sydney. Eastern Creek and Oran Park aren't exactly up to the 'World Standards' by any stretch of the imagination. :D

H

head

Neither is Imola, but they still race there.....

An no, the idea isn't to run when F1 isn't on - it's to have the "World Cup of Motorsport" - which is an extremely appealing and interesting idea which will yield more success than failure. Competition on the basis of national pride alone is enough to render it successful, but the fact that there should be close racing will make it even more interesting. As I said, though, it has nothing on F1 - who's downfall could be the constant the changes and the worst thing ever - going back to v8 engines.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
wasnt the plan 4 sydney to have like a street race sorta thing?

the championship should go ahead properly n will probably have success. as long as it slightly removes itself from the F1 thing....ppl will call it cheap n nasty F1

HSC
It is deliberatly placed in the f1 off season and not to clash.

i think it will take off in most countries especially here. its a good thing that europe have no races(even though their tracks are good) because it give a chance for the rest of the world to play a bigger part in an international event. they are relecing the australian car at eastern creek tomorrow. i wonder who our driver will be........

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
yeh, but it will undoubtably have similarities drawn between it and F1....

2morow at Eastern Creek? coooool....mmm, our driver....no idea

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
Eastern Creek and Oran Park aren't exactly up to the 'World Standards' by any stretch of the imagination. :D
Why then is the 500CC superbike championship have a meeting there at easter creek???
that is of a world class standard. the highest u can go u superbike

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
Eastern Creek and Oran Park aren't exactly up to the 'World Standards' by any stretch of the imagination. :D
Eastern creek is up to international standards (well it used to be anyway), but we have a premier who doesn't want motorsport in NSW :mad: and Oran park might be being sold off.

Anyway, as for AI ... it does sound like a good way to spend the christmas holidays.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
hmmm...interesting, i wunder who's even on the short list (i.e. trialling the cars)

Komit

Byahhhhhhhhhh
HSC
Will Davison and Will Power are candidates and much better than christian jones

sfk_fan

HSC
Cape said:
Eastern creek is up to international standards (well it used to be anyway), but we have a premier who doesn't want motorsport in NSW :mad: and Oran park might be being sold off.

Anyway, as for AI ... it does sound like a good way to spend the christmas holidays.
oran park has already been sold. i think 2006 is the last race for the V8s there, and then they will demolish it and replace it with a housing complex...
and on RPM a week ago they said that the Australian round is being held at eastern creek in november.

sfk_fan

HSC
Komit said:
Will Davison and Will Power are candidates and much better than christian jones
marcus marshall and karl reindler are also candidates.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
the A1 cars look sorta weird, but sound awesome (from that small clip of jones jnr taking off at eastern creek) :uhhuh:

they look like they're overdun in the aero department (im used 2 F1 mind u, and wasnt alive 4 the radical 70's/80's of F1)

either way, as long as they re-do the aussies paintjob..i'll be happy i spose...looks shit atm, surely they can get sum1 2 make green and gold go 2gether...maybe use a DARKER green?:p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)