aas (1 Viewer)

ryanox

HSC
can someone explain aas 2 me in lamens terms? i read ova it in books and i sorta understand it but i reckon simplar terms wuld make it stick

hsc=suicide

HSC
ryanox said:
can someone explain aas 2 me in lamens terms? i read ova it in books and i sorta understand it but i reckon simplar terms wuld make it stick
when an element is excited it releases a unique wave length.

this unique wave length can only be absobed by the same element.

this creates a 'shaow' that can be measured to determine the amount of element in a sample.

tristambrown

HSC
LAMP------>FLAME -----> Prism (monocromator) --> Detector (photomultiplier)

The light emits a known amount of light

the flame vapourises the sample. in being vapourised the element gives off a certain colour (as you know from doing flame tests for elements)
The element also absorbs a certain colour (wavelength of light)

the light from the flame is then split into it's individual wavelengths with the prism (so they can isolate the particular one for the element they are looking for)

the detector picks up this wavelength and compares it's intensity to the known intensity of the original light source (the lamp)

the difference in recieved intensity to send intensity is directly prportional to the concentration of the element in the sample (the absorbance reading ) . using this data you can compare this sample to known concentrations tested the same way.. comparing their absorbance readings to the sample's absorbance readings lets you plot a graph and estimate the concentation of your unknown sample

ZZZZZZ

HSC
so, can u correct me if i'm wrong: AAS= quantitative (concentration)
AES= qualitative

Tim035

HSC
Yeah AES is mainly analysed with emission spectrum which is a qualitative analysis.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)