About attending lectures (1 Viewer)

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
if i have one lecture on monday, and nothing else.

why do people not go to it?

what would you do if u dont go to the lecture?

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
i wouldn't go because i couldn't be bothered to go in to uni for 1 lecture.

I'd obviously go if: it was compulsory/they marked attendance or if the lecture slides on blackboard were shit and there was no lectopia

but if there are semi decent lecture slides and the course content isn't too hard liek... fuck that stay home and do it later.

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
It's not worth the time getting there for the one lecture - unless you live on campus and have nothing better to do at the time. Just try and keep up by looking at the lecture slides or reading the textbook.

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
but what if the lecturer talks more than having slides....
then i might miss crucial information isn't it?

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Yeah, you might. That's the risk.

You probably won't though. And a lot lecture's are recorded, so you can skip the lecture and listen to it whenever you want.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
yep lectopia

also if it's important, they will usually a) post about it on blackboard b) email you c) tutors will tell you in tutorials

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
also if it's important, they will usually a) post about it on blackboard b) email you c) tutors will tell you in tutorials
+1.

What course are you doing? My dad once said that one problem with not going to lectures is missing out on the lecturers preference for stuff or being familiar with the university/faculties political bias, ofcourse in Engineering i haven't come across anything like that. Infact we rarely have to write anything like essays so it's a bit of a non issue.

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
+1.

What course are you doing? My dad once said that one problem with not going to lectures is missing out on the lecturers preference for stuff or being familiar with the university/faculties political bias, ofcourse in Engineering i haven't come across anything like that. Infact we rarely have to write anything like essays so it's a bit of a non issue.
architecture~

enoilgam

HSC
At the start of semester I go to all of my lectures to see which ones are worth attending and whch ones arent (I can usually tell within the first two weeks). For me, it depends mostly on the subject itself - lecture slides and how key information is communicated usually comes second for me. Like with Accounting, even though the lecturer had great slides and always made key announcements via email/blackboard, it was extremely difficult to learn the stuff without going to the lectures. Like, I doubt whether I would have even passed if I didnt.

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
I'm doing B. mathematics / B education (secondary) at uon

all the lectures are recorded, but i'm assuming when i get to higher (3000) levels of maths they probably won't be, howeer the 1st and second year ones are because the engineering students (and heaps of IT and a bunch of other faculties) have to do them so logistically it'd be retarded not to record them.

Also due to funding cuts there are some education lectures that aren't face to face anymore lol so you just have to lectopia them.

Maths is fine on lectopia because they record the voice of the lecturer and also whatever is shown on the projector so if a lecturer switches from the slides on the computer to scrap paper on the projector it'll all show up in lectopia. Obviously still try and go because you might forget about it and just keep putting off watching it. last year i went to every single lecture and just used lectopia to re-watch shit to make it sink in and to study.

it's pretty good because say you have a "2 hour lecture" which are actually only 2 x 50 minute lectures due to starting times and breaks and shit so you can skip through it all and rewind.

i'm rambling

tl;dr go to lectures if you can, but if you can't and there is lectopia you're laffin'

EinstenICEBERG

Einstein V2
HSC
oh... its actually an one hour laboratory.

what you do there? and it is compulsory>

Alexis Texas

HSC
N/A
you generally have to go to labs. (i'm speaking from experience with chem and physics labs and i know some eng m8s who have eng labs that are compulsory)

check your program hand book/course description

cormacshaw

HSC
N/A
For the most part you will have to go to Labs. It's more of a practical class where you do things/experiments/etc. related to what you've been studying in your course.

fatboi

HSC
N/A
ffs go to the first lec

see what it's like, see if it's recorded etc

if it's a waste of time/recorded, don't go

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yeah but if you don't go to the lecture and it's recorded - you now have to find some other time to listen to it.

Personally, I find it better to just go to the lecture when it's on. My schedule becomes more organised that way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)