About Faraday (1 Viewer)

HSC
Describe the work of Faraday in increasing the understanding of electron transfer reactions??? - Can anyone help me plz

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Sure :).
  • Faraday continued Davy's electrolysis experiment and extended them.
  • He developed an electrolytic device for measuring electric charge.
  • He carefully measured the amount of electricity necessary during electrolysis and compared it to the amount of substance produced.
  • This allowed him to propose two major laws of electrolysis:
- The amount of substance produced at an electrode during electrolysis depends directly on the quantity of electricity passing through the electrolyte.
- The amount of substance, in moles, produced or dissolved at an electrode by passing the same amount of electricity is inversely proportional the charges on their ions. E.g. I think it's like:

-ve ion, metal forms (reducing)
+ve ion, metal is dissolving (oxidising)
  • His major contribution was quantitative electrochemistry. That is, measurements could be made to predict the amount of substance produced or dissolved and link that to the quanitty of electricity. (greater electrical energy, greater the substance).
Hope that helps (rep me ;)).

I'm pretty sure you can integrate physics knowledge (electromagnetism) as well.

zhangy

HSC
he also coined the terms such as anion, cation, electrolyte, ......

shinigami66

HSC
do we actually have to know his two laws of electrolysis? ie finding the amount of a metal forms in an electrolytic cell with a given amount of time and current? :S i hope not =[

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)