About Mechanical Eng - help please (1 Viewer)

peeasoup

Im in yr12 at the moment and im about to put down some uni choices. Ive decided for mechatronics first, but i cant decide to do electrical second or mechanical second. I would be suprised if i got the uai for mechatronics, so my second choice is really important. I know very well wat electrical is about, cause my brother does it, but not to sure bout mechanical. Can someone please gimme a quick overview of the stuff you do in mechanical and things like its difficulty. Any help would be great thanks..

esther

HSC
the first yr of engineering is pretty much similar in the maths sense for both elec and mech...
im doin mech eng 2nd yr atm... its interesting but its hard...
1st yr i did chem, CAD and matlab (programming), dynamics and statics (which is basicali force calculations), elec. professional engineering (which was basicalli all the ethics and responsbilities as an engineer) and maths (lots of it 4 subs)

2nd yr 1st sem was thermodynamics, elec, maths, mechanics of solids and something else....

but... thas the subjects i did... theyre changing the course...
the subjects will prob b the same but theyre making each subject 6 credit points... so we onli do 4 subjects a semester...

2nd sem this yr seems reali hectic... lots of assignments... one of our subjects this sem is mechancial design... we hab to modify a remote control car to make it go faster...

i hope this tells u something bout my course... if u hab any qs jus msg me

esther

HSC
peeasoup said:
thanks, thats pretty mad. I sent you a private message. pleeeaase reply..
yeah i jus got it... sorri bout the late reply... jus been busy lately wid uni work

tooheyz

- kmart supervisor -
HSC
im currently first year mechatronics which is a mix of electrical and mechanical as well as computing

first year engineenering is basically the same, maths and programming wise
with mechanical and electrical, you do a lot of programming.. right now they're doing dynamics (physics) with matlab (which is programming) and i've seen their work.. its crap crazy

if your unsure about which to choose, why dont you do flexi?
that way, you will get an overview of each branch of engineering

peeasoup

wow thanks. Its not like your replies actually effected my decisions, but its still cool to know the shit you guys do. I put mechatronics first, then mechanical and then electrical, all at sydney. I am happy to get any of them, and the UAI's range from 91 to 79, so yeh i should get into one.
thanks for ur help.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
hey peeasoup, you can do flexible first year in eng at usyd, which gives you another year to decide which course you prefer. You choose from two first year streams, stream A which leads into chemical, cvil, biomedical, aeronautical and mechanical engineering, or stream B which leads into Mechatronics, mechanical (space), Aeronautical (Space), telecommunications, software, electrical and computer engineering.
You dont have to decide which stream u do until enrollment.
If you want to be guaranteed a place in say, chem eng, then you can still do flexible first year and then go into chem eng, the course takes just as long as normal.
The course is called Engineering (Flexible first year) in the uac guide.
E-mail the engo ppl for more info - faculty@eng.usyd.edu.au

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)