• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

about nuclear chem (1 Viewer)

lulushang

HSC
hello people, i am an oversea student...now i face some tricky ques...well, at least tracky for me in nuclear chem. so Can any body give me a hand?

Q:Describe methods by which nuclear transformations can be induced

can any body knows where i can find the information about Technetium-99m and Sodium-24???

lulushang

HSC
thanx mate ...sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much

can anybody tell me whats nuclear transformation? how can i describe the method????
thanx again

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
When we are looking at nuclear transformation we consider both nuclear decay and nuclear reactions.

Nuclear decay is when an unstable istope split into smaller components.. There are several types of nuclear, namely alpha, beta, gamma and positron. The type of decay can be predicted by looking at the Nuclear/Proton ratio (N/Z from here and on):

1. When an atom has too many protons (thus a small N/Z), it preferrs to reduce the number of protons to increase the N/Z value. This can be achieved by positron emission or electron capture where protons are transformed into neutrons.

2. If an atom has too many neutrons (thus a high N/Z) it would undergo beta decay in which a neutrons are transformed into a proton + an electron and this decreases the N/Z value.

3. If an atom has too many of both protons and neutrons then it is most likely to undergo alpha decay, where alpha particles (Helium atoms) are ejected from the nucleus.

Reference: Silberberg CHEMISTRY 3rd edition

So why do nuclear decays occur? There is an adhesive force called strong force within nucleii which holds neutrons and protons together. At the same time there is also a repulsive force between those atomic particles. In order to become a stable nucleus, an atom must undergo a decay to adjust the imbalance.

Earlier I have mentioend that nuclear transformation includes also nuclear reactions. Besides the spliting of radioisotopes into smaller components, we also consider the case when smaller components join to form "heavier" atoms. This scenario is very common in nuclear reactors where various elements are bombarded by neutrons. (Also happens in nuclear accelerator)

There are naturally occuring radioisotopes as well as artificial radioisotopes. Nuclear decay is a naturally occuring process where as producing the radioisotops is not necessarily natural (as suggest by the two examples above). So you could use these information to answer the question you have posted :)

Hope that helps :)

lulushang

HSC
Thanx a lot!!!!!!!!!

Is nuclear transformation include fission and fusion? I am quite confuse about that....

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
lulushang said:
Thanx a lot!!!!!!!!!

Is nuclear transformation include fission and fusion? I am quite confuse about that....
Yes, fission and fusion involve transforming a nucleus in order to create energy.

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
yup! fission is splitting.. maybe you would like to elaborate on what you're trying to talk about.. or was that it?

mitochondria

*Rawr*!
HSC
well.. he said it in one complete sentence that is not hard to understand..

O________o!!! wait a minute... you said "creat energy" withie! :p

lulushang

HSC
thanx people to answer my ques...
Really, i dont like this part...coz its hard to remeber.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)