About USYD and MEl's offer (1 Viewer)

which one will you choose?

• University of Sydney(Bachelor of International Studies)

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • University of Melbourne(Bachelor of commerce )

Votes: 7 43.8%

• Total voters

skwan

HSC
N/A
USYD and MEls' offers
SO far I have recieved 2 offers from USYD AND MEL respectively.
The basic situation is as follows:
bachelor of International studies In the university of Sydney
bachelor of commerce in the university of Melbourne

I aware of the fact that it is quite hard for anyone to choose from.
and I knew each of them has it's own benefits;and to debate which one is better is useless.They are both top unis, with the highest level of local demand in each state.

however, I still hope you could analyse those two for me, something about your personal view or something comes from your inner heart.

as you may know International studies is a recent course and i still unsure about the real career path for students who took the course. Beacuse I don't want to take a job which contains too much politics and seriously associated with government. comparatively, i prefer the jobs in a company or private practice. I aware that for both of them, I can take the major: Management or International Business.

besides, The tuition fee of UoM is more expensive, I need to spend approximate more 3100*3years=9100AU (equal to 5.5-6W RMB, I am an international student) in case of choosing UoM. Anyway, the living expenditure in Sydney is higher than Melbourne. Money is another factor which I need to take into account. and also , USYd certainly has a better reputation in China compare with UoM.But it seems UoM's ranks are higher in recently years.faint`````

i still unable to find a decisive reason for me to discard USYD and Pick up Mel.

Thanks in Advance and I hope you can leave some of your words to help me.
even only one word

ioniser

HSC
yeah melbourne is ranked better than usyd on the world stage,also i hear usyd isnt too good for commerce related stuff,it lacks the experience other unis have to offer(other unis like uts and unsw are more recognisedby businesses in Australia).I'd probably go for the degree at uom after all you will graduate with a degree that says something about business unlike graduating with international studies(which pretty much says you know another language) your certificate will say something that you major in ,but which to an employer (who doesn't know anything of either the 2 unis )do you think will look more attractive.

obviously the commerce one,In plus if you want to study international business maybe you can choose that as a major at uom (Im not sure if they offer it but most unis do )

skwan

HSC
N/A
Thank you so much. man

I will certainly take your advices into account, which are reasonable and realistic.

Last edited:

BronwynKate

HSC
I think:

diplomat (that's why I wanted to do International Studies when young)
consultant
interpreter
translator
general multi culti person.

My heart would be telling me to go for International Studies.

My head is telling me to go for Commerce.

Maybe you can pursue your international inclinations in higher study, like a MA or PhD?

I'd try and go to Melbourne as I think we treat our international students well and you will find lots of student support. I do know the place fairly well even though I myself study at TAFE.

Commerce is very good - but answer your heart and you will be happy. And I know this is neither reasonable or realistic.

Think of yourself in 5 or 10 years, doing each course. That is a help. So is Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats (which you will learn much more in business).

I think both courses you can help people out, and that would decide me. In Commerce the outcomes are far more concrete - International Studies is about building relationships, to my mind.

phrred

HSC
BComm UNSW
or BComm/BArts with a major in politics/international relations and perhaps a lanaguage and then commerce majors, u can choose between 2-4 majors in comma/arts
im doing that

skwan

HSC
N/A
Thanks !
Bronwynkate

Now the issue focuses on two points:
Sydney the tuition fee is cheap,better reputation,fantastic city (maybe I need to work in my motherland after graduation)
Melbourne
the tuition fee for international students is really cost!relative lower living expense (I don;t know why?) but 6W RMB MORE tuition fee!
the course in Melbourne is the one I liked.
Now I wondering If a transform on my course in Sydney is handY or not?

BronwynKate

HSC
A transfer would indeed be a great idea!

Maybe after a year or two of high distinctions ...

skwan

HSC
N/A
Oh, I see.
You are so Kind,! maybe see you in there? hehe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)