Absolute and relative referencing?? (1 Viewer)

thebigwillie

Hey can someone give me a definition of this..Its probably really easy, but i hate the questions in the papers on spreadsheets..I just can't see the difference and i'm totally confused..All I know is that absolute referencing has a '$' between the values..But I'm not too sure of what it does lol..If there are any exercises available or any advice, it would be gr8ty appreciated. Thanx in advance :D

konggo

HSC
the $ of the absolute cel refernce lock the cell in place ie in every eqn this doesnt change

a relitive cell adress wil change because they are not set into place..

i hope that helps

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
Absolute Reference: A cell or range reference in the formula where its location remains the same/absolute when copied.
Eg: $E$5-C3

Let say u have a formula E5=Sum(E1:E4), it has added numbers in a cell range E1:E4 & u want to take the value in C3,C4,C5..etc away from the value in E5 resulting from the sum.
This formula "=Sum(E1:E4)" will not change no matter where u copy it to. Another example may involve u copying the formula in E5 to say H1. The formula stays the same the value or sum stays the same.

Relative refernce: A cell or range reference in the formula that will automatically adjust itself in a new location when the formula is copied.
Eg: $E12

The Coloumn will remain the same that is "E". but the Row will change 12,13,14,15..etc. Example of this is when u Fill Down to find the Sum of a cell range say from E12:E20.

Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

CrashOveride

HSC
Freedom_Dragon said:
This formula "=Sum(E1:E4)" will not change no matter where u copy it to. Another example may involve u copying the formula in E5 to say H1.
But it does change. It's a relative reference, if you fill down or copy somewhere else you will get an adjusted operation.

Freedom_Dragon

The 36th Dragon
HSC
N/A
I think u have miss understood something & i think i know where its at. Also I must have explained that wrongly.

The value in $E$5 gets locked in,ur subtracting other values from cells
such as C3,C4,C5..etc from $E$5 which contains the value RESULTING from the Sum.
Im talking specifically about the value resulting FROM the sum. Not the FUNCTION Sum itself. Indeed this =Sum(E1:E4) would be a relative reference by Filling Down.

The value in E5 could be used over & over again without changing.
When u go to copy the value from E5 it will not change no matter where u copy it to, because its an absolute reference $E$5.

This cell "E5" contains this formula "=Sum(E1:E4)". If u go to another cell say H1 & enter in "=$E$5" u would get the same value.

Hope Ive cleared that up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)