Absolute FAIL in combating Muslim stereotypes.... (1 Viewer)

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
"THE founder of a US television station aimed at countering stereotypes of Muslims has been arrested and charged with beheading his wife"

TV founder charged with beheading wife in Buffalo, New York

From correspondents in New York
AAP
February 17, 2009 07:15pm

Horrific ... Bridges TV founder and CEO Muzzammil Hassan is charged with beheading his wife, Aasiya Hassan / Reuters

• "Numerous domestic calls to home"
  • Wife had filed for divorce
  • Second-degree murder charge

THE founder of a US television station aimed at countering stereotypes of Muslims has been arrested and charged with beheading his wife, local media reports.

Muzzammil Hassan was charged with second-degree murder of his wife, Aasiya Hassan, whose decapitated body was found on Thursday by police at the Bridges TV station in Buffalo, New York state, police told The Buffalo News.

"He came to the police station at 6.20pm (Thursday) and told us that she was dead," Orchard Park Police Chief Andrew Benz told the newspaper.

Police reportedly went to Bridges TV, which Mr Hassan founded in 2004, and discovered her body.

Bridges TV said in a statement it was "deeply shocked and saddened by the murder of Aasiya (Zubair) Hassan and subsequent arrest of Muzzammil Hassan".

CNN reported on its website that Police Chief Benz said Mr Hassan, 44, confessed to beheading his wife.

Police Chief Benz said Mr Hassan's wife, 37, had filed for divorce on January 6, and that police had responded to numerous domestic violence calls at the couple's home, according to CNN.

He reportedly had two children, aged four and six, with his wife, and two other children, age 17 and 18, from a previous marriage.

TV founder charged with beheading wife in Buffalo, New York | News.com.au Top stories | News.com.au

banco55

HSC
Apparently he received a few awards from Muslim groups. Well I'm glad to see he erased the stain of dishonour by sawing his wife's head off.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
Argh I just saw this on news.com.au
b10 :(

Beheading takes some effort man, you don't just "whoops i accidentally a whole head"

Boxes

Banned
HSC
ahaha, did anybody see the caption under the pic on cnn.com?

it was: "The relationship was great until Hassan beheaded his wife"

Bainesy

HSC
islam does have a pretty terrible reputation. perhaps this guy thought it was so bad that beheading his wife would actually improve the reputation of islam.

instead of suicidal maniacs killing dozens of innocent bystanders, this guy is killing family, therefore leaving the innocent bystanders in the street alive and well

see? its a step forward for islam

boris

Banned
HSC
what did she do to dishonour her husband blah blah etc?

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
srsly...what does his religion have anything to do with his crime?

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
The fact that he beheaded the woman because she was trying to divorce him...
The word beheading relates to Muslims for most people around the world. Its just playing into stereotypes.

I can easily scan the papers of the world and find ghastly murders / deeds by any amount of people from any nation / religion of the world. Just last week a south african school teacher was up on raping one of is students. Must be the teachers ethos then.

Crazy stuff to even consider that this beheading wad one due to his culture or his heritage. It was the act of a sick individual.

Is there violence towards women in Australia? Sure is. So too there is violence against women in every part of the globe, regardless of ethnicity or religion.

Domestic violence transcends culture and religion and should be seen as part of the problem of 'humanity'.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
I really hoped you were going to post that :D Because

Are Honor Killings Simply Domestic Violence? - Middle East Quarterly

;)

The table outlining the difference between domestic violence and honour killings is quite good.
lol dude, i am not saying that the percentage of domestic violence is low in the middle east. I know its higher. but only a very little percentage has to do with the religion. lets face it, Africa/middle east/ South Asia is a male dominant society. These are cultural issues that will take a while to change and adapt to the new world.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
The word beheading relates to Muslims for most people around the world. Its just playing into stereotypes.
That is exactly the point - the fact that this man is the founder of a TV station that is trying to educate and dispel Muslim stereotypes, and the irony of (not the fact that he brutally murdered his wife, but) the fact that he did it in a way which only feeds into the Muslim stereotype that is rife around the world at the moment, in particular the beheading-style executions that have occurred in Iraq. So yes, his actions have exactly played into stereotypes.

The article does not mention his religion, and in fact the crime doesn't really have to have anything to do with whatever religion he adheres to. It's his role as the founder of the Muslim TV station and its pro-Muslim policies. If he is indeed Muslim, that's just icing on the cake really, for some.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
lol dude, i am not saying that the percentage of domestic violence is low in the middle east. I know its higher. but only a very little percentage has to do with the religion. lets face it, Africa/middle east/ South Asia is a male dominant society. These are cultural issues that will take a while to change and adapt to the new world.
Culture is very heavily influenced by religion. More than any other factor.

SAVAK

Banned
HSC
N/A
Culture is very heavily influenced by religion. More than any other factor.
maybe? Saudi Arabia, Pakistan and Indonesia are 3 distinct countries who follow Islam with 3 different cultures. Religion may play a role, but how do you define "heavy"?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Depends how you define "culture".

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Why didn't he just shoot her with a Smith & Wesson like a true American? Then it would have just been a normal murder. Argh.

katie tully

ashleey luvs roosters
HSC
He obviously reads the Qu'ran, incased ya'll missed the part about ongoing domestic violence in the relationship.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
No, that's a country who has a culture taken over wholly by one religion. Pakistan is a mix of Islamic and Hindu cultures. Indonesia is a mix of Islam, Buddhism, Hindusim and Pacific Islander. Japan mixes Buddhism with Confucianism and Shintoism. India is also a mix of Hindu and Muslim culutres, but a different mix and with Buddhism thrown in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)