Accelerating my JD. (1 Viewer)

bored6

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm tossing up between doing a JD at usyd or unsw.

Unsw is attractive to me because it lets me accelerate the degree and finish it within two years. Has anybody had any experience with accelerating their law degree? Or would the workload be too overwhelming?

Any insights would be appreciated.

izzy88

HSC
Hey I don't do the jd (I'm at USYD doing combined law) but it appears from the unsw website that accelerating the jd to complete in 2 years is just doing subjects in summer school- rather than overloading during normal semester. As such I don't think the workload would be much different from doing the jd in 3 years, you just don't get the big long break in the middle. From my experiences at USYD however you should probably check a few things-
1) at USYD you can accelerate your law degree by doing law subjects in summer school
However there is no hecs help- you have to pay full fee for those subjects- as such it is expensive.
2) at USYD summer school subjects are limited- this wouldnt prove a problem for compulsory subjects but you may find there are a more limited selection of electives offered at summer school.
Obviously these are things I have noticed at USYD- but they may or may not apply to unsw, so I would check :) as for any kind of accelerating a course that does involve overloading during semester (eg doing 5 subjects instead of 4)- most people would view that as suicide for law (although unfortunately many people I know seem to have the opinion that you need to be doing only 3 subjects a semester to be competitive, which I think is silly, but anyway).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)