Acceleration and Velocity (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
I just need some clarifying on what's in the red box, I know that if the velocity if negative it's travelling to the left (negative direction), but I know that acceleration, if negative, decreases in speed, but the answer says speeding up? Am I wrong? Can someone clarify for me?

Drsoccerball

HSC
I just need some clarifying on what's in the red box, I know that if the velocity if negative it's travelling to the left (negative direction), but I know that acceleration, if negative, decreases in speed, but the answer says speeding up? Am I wrong? Can someone clarify for me?

If your acceleration is less than 0 and your speed is positive it slows you down untill you stop. But then since theres still acceleration on the object it still needs to go somewhere so it goes into the direction thats pulling it and therefore speeds up in the negative direction

flavurr

HSC
If an object is speeding up, its acceleration is in the same direction as its motion. SO since v<0 and a<0 the particle is speeding up in the negative direction.

On the contrary, if v>0 and a>0 then the particle is speeding up in the positive direction

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
So if it was v<0 and a>0 then the particle is moving in a negative direction at decreasing speed?

Drsoccerball

HSC
So if it was v<0 and a>0 then the particle is moving in a negative direction at decreasing speed?
Yes. Depends on what you define as decreasing speed. As the velocity is actually increasing.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
You mean the acceleration is increasing?
If a > 0, velocity is increasing, and acceleration need not be increasing (because just because a function (acceleration in this case) is positive, doesn't mean it's increasing). Velocity is increasing though if a > 0 because by definition, a = dv/dt (rate of change of velocity).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)