Acceleration in Maths!!!!!! (2 Viewers)

HSC
N/A
Hi guys,

yr 9 student here, coz i couldnt post in any other forum, not many people available. Just wondering if you would know about acceleration in maths for my year? I don't think my school does it and I just need to know if you can actually do it yourself? Tell me how I can do it myself (like material).

Thanks, lookoutastroboy.:wave:

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Get the maths syllabus from your state's curriculiam council for your appropriate year.

If you can do all the dot points your fine.

HSC
N/A
Studentleader said:
Get the maths syllabus from your state's curriculiam council for your appropriate year.

If you can do all the dot points your fine.

thanks a lot. i'll try that

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
lookoutastroboy said:
Hi guys,

yr 9 student here, coz i couldnt post in any other forum, not many people available. Just wondering if you would know about acceleration in maths for my year? I don't think my school does it and I just need to know if you can actually do it yourself? Tell me how I can do it myself (like material).

What school do you go to?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lookoutastroboy said:
Hi guys,

How is your rank in your school for Mathematics? If you are in the vicinitiy of the top ranks or if you are the top in Mathematics, school can consider letting you doing accleration course formally so that you can take HSC earlier. Ask your study-coordinator or Maths Coordinator, they will help you out.

I am a good example of this. After I got over 95% in my school exam, I had interview with both Maths coordinator and study-coordinator (very intense) to see if I was suitable for acceleration course. In the end, I was allowed to do acceleration course where I had to study for both year 11 materials and year 10 materials during my year 10. So, I basically had to compete with my year 10 mates and year 11 seniors in Mathematics where I came first and second respectively.

It is very difficult to accelerate without help. But if you think you can do it, why not? I am currently involved in enrolling my brother to Acceleration class in his Selective High School. I will be sending a letter to school to let my brother accelerate to year 9 maths (he is in year 7). I wouldn't be able to do that if my brother was a complete dumbass. I could do that since he came first in his year and did maths upto year 10 maths.

So, ask your teachers. You might be accepted in. But remember: You are the one who has to do all the work and it's difficult.

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
I don't think you can accelerate in maths on your own, and if you do it'll be pretty hard. If your in Year 9, I'm guessing you'll be aiming to do the School Certificate this year? If you are, then I'd say go for it, but if you're on your own, I wouldn't accelerate in Yr 11/12 maths yet.

At my school, we accelerated to the School Certificate in Year 9, then in Year 10 we did the 2u HSC. In Year 11, we have the chance to resit the 2u as well as accelerate in 3u HSC, and in Year 12 we either re-do the course or go on to 4u, or not do maths at all.

So I think you should still have a talk with your school and see what they think. You never know, because of you they might start an accelerated program.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
accelerate in 2U, it's soo easy.

Even if you think 3U is hard, just do 2U accelerated, atleast.

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i agree, 3U isn't hard. Whats hard is the Harder 3U topic topic in 4U Math.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
the-derivative said:
I don't think you can accelerate in maths on your own, and if you do it'll be pretty hard. If your in Year 9, I'm guessing you'll be aiming to do the School Certificate this year? If you are, then I'd say go for it, but if you're on your own, I wouldn't accelerate in Yr 11/12 maths yet.

At my school, we accelerated to the School Certificate in Year 9, then in Year 10 we did the 2u HSC. In Year 11, we have the chance to resit the 2u as well as accelerate in 3u HSC, and in Year 12 we either re-do the course or go on to 4u, or not do maths at all.

So I think you should still have a talk with your school and see what they think. You never know, because of you they might start an accelerated program.
Of course you can, but it is going to be very difficult. If there is an established acceleration program, it will be easier, though. I accelerated on my own, had to study everything by myself (2 to 3 hours a day) and it paid off.

However, as the derivative said, you should not accelerate on your own if you are not determined to put time into it.

Last edited:

bored of sc

HSC
past papers are the best

never forget that

just don't do too many too early!!

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Of course you can, but it is going to be very difficult. If there is an established acceleration program, it will be easier, though. I accelerated on my own, had to study everything by myself (2 to 3 hours a day) and it paid off.

However, as the derivative said, you should not accelerate on your own if you are determined to put time into it.

Yeah, thanks for letting me know. Just one more thing, lyounama, how did you accelerate on your own when you were in yr 9 and like me? What particualr materials did you use and how did you study effectively for it?

Thanks, lookoutastroboy.:)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lookoutastroboy said:
Yeah, thanks for letting me know. Just one more thing, lyounama, how did you accelerate on your own when you were in yr 9 and like me? What particualr materials did you use and how did you study effectively for it?

Thanks, lookoutastroboy.:)
As I explained above, I asked both study-coordinator and maths-coordinator. They helped me a lot throughtout year 9 and year 10. They didn't teach me though.

Well, I did not have particular "materials" that I used. However, I just used normal year 9 and 10 textbooks and few study guides to do lots and lots of questions. I memorised formulas by writing them on A4 papers and revised constantly. I also did some SC exams.

I do not think there is particular method that you use to excel in Maths. It is just that you have to like what you are doing and just do it. As I said, putting 1 to 2 hours for Maths everyday is a good idea. If you can express your determination, love for maths and intelligence at it, why not accelerate? Why not ask your study-coordinator or Maths coordinator? Have faith in yourself and go for it if you fill all the criteria.

Good Luck!

EDIT: always keep all the materials where you have written your Maths working-out. I mean, keep all the good working-outs where you think that you can use them as "model answers". Try to do question in strict time limit or strict conditions. It will help you a lot.

Last edited:

selablad

HSC
This isn't so much about acceleration in maths, but it's about acceleration (and I'm too scared to start a new thread). But I've noticed that there are so many students who have accelerated a subject on BOS, some more than others. So I was wondering, is this normal/is it relatively easy to accelerate in a subject/are there set procedures in place if you want to? Also NSW has those Distinction course things.

I was just wondering because I don't know many people who accelerate over here (granted, I don't know many people full stop, but that is another matter). At my school I think there are only a couple of people accelerated in the whole school (P-12) and this is quite unusual. I had to jump through quite a few hoops to be accelerated, and the process took quite a long time, because we don't have a dedicated program I suppose. I'm not sure if this is just my school - I do think that the number of accelerated students is significantly higher in other schools, but not nearly as high as it seems to be here. Mostly "gifted" students do extra stuff in their same year level, rather than accelerate up a grade in a subject. Those who do accelerate do tertiary courses or similar after school, there are no special philosophy or cosmology courses for them

But yeah. I was just wondering, is that vaguely correct, that lots of NSW kids accelerate? Or am I greatly exaggerating the whole thing. If so, just ignore this!

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Nah, I doubt that there are many students in NSW that accelerate. No source on this - but just based on a gut feeling, no more than about 5% accelerate. Of course, some schools (like mine) force everyone who is doing Extension 1/2 Maths in Year 12 to accelerate in 2U Maths in Year 11. Some people accelerate in Music, History and the Social Sciences (Legal, Business, Geography).

Last edited:

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
I've noticed that quite alot of people accelerate, its just where you are and what kind of school you come from. I am currently at a rural (not to rural) Public High School, i myself have accelerated, but before me no one has ever accelerated in this school since its establishment, 40 years ago! So in that respect, one would assume that not alot of people accelerate.

Having said i accelerated, its like pulling teeth with this school and acceleration, so i have decided to go to a sydney selective school. Now having a look at there website, every year, they look at all the year 7 math students and select a group of about 20 and put them in a class where they learn both year 8 and 9 maths while they are in year 8, so there for they will be doing year 10 maths in year 9 and so on. So if we did some simple mathematics, that would mean that that selective school has about 90-120 accelerated students just in mathematics. There is about say 20 selective schools (including agricultural schools) in NSW, so thats 2000 accelerated students. And thats just in selective schools in NSW, so yeh quite a few.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Yeah - changed in to 5% just before you posted. :D

selablad

HSC
Oh, okay then. That's interesting about the year 7 thing (kurt.physics). I have a feeling that we have programs similar to that, except focussing more on breadth in the specific topic than accelerating as such. I wonder which is better, from an educational perspective...

Oh well, so much for my theory. Maybe it's just that a lot of nerds hang out on this forum, or at least the parts of it I frequent!

kurt.physics

HSC
N/A
selablad said:
Oh, okay then. That's interesting about the year 7 thing (kurt.physics). I have a feeling that we have programs similar to that, except focussing more on breadth in the specific topic than accelerating as such. I wonder which is better, from an educational perspective...

Oh well, so much for my theory. Maybe it's just that a lot of nerds hang out on this forum, or at least the parts of it I frequent!
Yeh, that would be my guess.

But that thing about that year 7 acceleration is on the website at penrith high (http://www.penrithhighschool.nsw.edu.au/) in the mathematics section (under curriculum on the LHS, then scroll down to Acceleration in Mathematics)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)