• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Acceptance of sexuality in ANU colleges (1 Viewer)

artrite90

HSC
Ok, so I went and toured ANU recently. I had a look at all the colleges - they all seem good but I think I'll go for Johns/Burgmann because of the social aspect, and because I like the sound of all the stuff they have on.

I'm planning on going there next year.

However, I'm gay and want to know if this will be a problem. Most people can't tell, as I don't parade around at all, but I do plan on coming out at uni so I can have bfs and stuff.

I don't wanna end up in a college where all the guys are rating girls all the time and where there are lots of backward attitudes towards stuff like this. I do wanna have guy friends, and I want them to not expect me to be wanting to get into their pants.

It'd also be good to know which college has the most gay guys atm . Ive heard Johns had this reputation in the 70s but that was 30 yrs ago lol

Davo1111

HSC
N/A
I think the best part of uni is on the *most* part people will be mature about this sort of thing. However, as per any community there will be a few who will just be a dick (the number will be dramatically reduced when compared to high school). I don't think there would be any college that would be more or less accepting than one another. Remember in a big community, you'll meet heaps of people, some you'll get on well with, others you won't, but thats normal for everyone no matter what sexuality. So yeah, summary: i dont think you would have any major issues of "acceptance" within any college. Also, consider joining the ANU jellybabies association. They're the social group for gay, lesbian and transgendered anu students. They have heaps of social events and they've also got a 'queer space' - essentially a common room reserved for members of jellybabies. i can't really tell you much more than that (i'm straight myself, but i have a number of gay friends at uni). If you have any questions just pm me and i'd be happy to pass the message on.

Last edited:

blacksunset

HSC
b&g has heaps of gay guys.one of our sr's is gay which has forced anyone who tried to be immature to mature pretty damn qiuckly...
we call our block the ga block because there are heaps of gay guys there - and i dont personally know anyone at all who cares. i have not met one person in my 2 years here who has had a problem with it at all. we also have male and female sexuality officers that are there if anyone needs to talk about anything :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)