ACCG350~financial statement analysis (1 Viewer)

BoganBoy

HSC
Hi is anyone doing this unit? I'm having my final tomorrow and i just gotta say, this unit is possibly the worst run unit i have ever taken.

The lecturer in charge (Phillip Sinnadurai) does not provide any tutorial solutions, nor does he necessarily go through the tutorial questions during the tuorials. Therefore there is literally NO WAY of finding out whether we have done the tute questions correctly. He often go off tangent so easily it is not funny. He calls it '' fostering discussion', but am i asking too much when the only thing i want is some feed back on my effort doing the tute questions.

There are also hardly any lecture slides available on the unit. You might be asking '' how does he teach without lecture slides'. The answer to that is that i simply do not know. He often fill out a 2 hr lecture with less than 10 lecture slides with 2-3 dot points on each slides. The reason is because he speaks so slowly it takes him 2 hours to say something that could of been said in 30min.

The after lecture support is also horrible. I think it will be easier for me to get a visa to north korea than to arrange a consultation with this guy. He would cancel consultation ad hoc citing reasons such as 'I am busy this week etc'. Even if you do somehow manage to have a consultation with him he will NOT answer your question directly, instead choosing to go off tangent for reasons i do not know. He would also criticize you for not knowing the material, saying things such as 'you should have known this by reading your text book, please go revise that yourself'.

Also do not expect ANY past papers of any kind or sample questions because he simply does not believe in them. There is also no discussion board for students to communicate to each other.

As a student who is taking this unit because I have an interest in equity research i am deeply disappointed by my experience. This unit could have been taught so much better but it failed to live up to its potential. My advice to future students is to steer clear of this unit if you are not prepared for some serious self learning.

boganboy:angry:

Luke!

Sexual Revolutionist
HSC
It was an extremely useful unit when I took it a few years ago. Although we had a female LIC, whose name I cannot recall.

We had to complete a major assignment, building an equity valuation model for a real firm of our choice, which was Alinta Ltd in my case.

The final exam consisted mostly of questions based on the assignment and a few other basic questions.

Overall, it taught me that equity valuation/prediction is usesless; calculations of ratios are open to varying interpretations, assumptions underlying growth often turn out to be incorrect, comparing different sources of basic market data will often reveal significant inconsistencies, et cetera.

Moreover, I think recent events should show that even the most skilled, knowledgeable and highly funded/paid investment analysts, with their highly complex equity valuation models, are able to get their shit completely wrong.

Last edited:

tajid73

HSC
lol this is one of the subjects i am considering doing next smtr if Philip is not the LIC.. how do we check who is the LIC be4 enrolment?

BoganBoy

HSC
just enrol first and then drop it if philip is the LIC. he is possibly the worst lecturer i have ever seen. I have no idea why the uni is still employing that guy. Tajid do you have some grudge against him too?

Monstar

HSC
I've also heard some nasty things about the LIC of 350 this semester.. personally I'm going to enrol when the usual lady, (Sue Wright) is LIC.

blackrider89

HSC
just enrol first and then drop it if philip is the LIC. he is possibly the worst lecturer i have ever seen. I have no idea why the uni is still employing that guy. Tajid do you have some grudge against him too?
It may owe to the fact that he's a Macquarie alumni lol :cool:.
He's a Dr like Frederick Wong and both are hopeless. Mr Wong also doesn't know how to teach properly (he may be very good at academics though).

BoganBoy

HSC
ok, just had my final. MOST EPIC TEST EVER!!

The test was 40 pages in length and 160 marks in total. 40 marks was related to the assignment and the rest r just the most random thing ever.

there were multiple 10markers asking us to discuss,evaluate etc, with 3 pages of blank space. i was like '' wtf am i suppose to fill that all out?'

There were hardly any calculations in the test mainly because the lecturer dont like it himself i think. anyway, no more phillip im so happy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)