Accommodation/ANU lifestyle (1 Viewer)

caribou

HSC
Hi all, I'm considering attending ANU next year and was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about studying there and if they enjoy it, particularly the overall vibe/friendliness of the university. I am considering a double of International Relations/International Security Studies, and am also curious if anyone knows the quality of these courses/job prospects available.

I'm also looking at on campus accomodation. I can't afford the catered colleges but I was particurly looking at Burton & Garran Hall, Fenner Hall or Wamburun Hall as less expensive alternatives, or potentially Kinloch Lodge or Lena Karmel Lodge but are less certain about the latter. If anyone has stayed in these accommodations, or has had experience with them I'd love to hear about it, and what they are like, as well as the the pros & cons.

Thank you!

Dichromate

HSC
N/A
Hi all, I'm considering attending ANU next year....
The student experience at Unilodge has probably improved a bit since the bad old days but in general they're newer but worse socially, less of a college culture while being more expensive. Burton and Garran Hall (Can't comment on the new Fenner, could only comment on the old one) will tend to have a more established college culture.
The original ANU run colleges are usually just less of a rip off, eg: all the Unilodges and the New ANU colleges have coin-op washing machines.

If you're from Sydney and have the option of going to University while living with your parents it's worth thinking about why you're going to ANU. Really the main advantage it has is living on campus and the college experience.

anuresi

HSC
Hi all, I'm considering attending ANU next year and was just wondering if anyone could tell me a little bit about studying there and if they enjoy it, particularly the overall vibe/friendliness of the university. I am considering a double of International Relations/International Security Studies, and am also curious if anyone knows the quality of these courses/job prospects available.

I'm also looking at on campus accomodation. I can't afford the catered colleges but I was particurly looking at Burton & Garran Hall, Fenner Hall or Wamburun Hall as less expensive alternatives, or potentially Kinloch Lodge or Lena Karmel Lodge but are less certain about the latter. If anyone has stayed in these accommodations, or has had experience with them I'd love to hear about it, and what they are like, as well as the the pros & cons.

Thank you!
Stay away from Wright Hall if you can - the head of Hall is average and plays favourites and they have failed to build a culture that is caring - looks good on the surface but that's where it stops. Worst college for someone who struggles with fitting in - stay away if you can and avoid it. Bruce and Ursulla's would be my pick. Friends never went back after covid. It took them a year to appoint a person that was in charge of wellbeing.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Do the colleges provide central heating in winter? Are students allowed to use their own heaters in their rooms?
Winter temperatures are often below zero in Canberra - are there any students who’ve moved from warmer states willing to share their experience?

Popsandtops

HSC
Do the colleges provide central heating in winter? Are students allowed to use their own heaters in their rooms?
Winter temperatures are often below zero in Canberra - are there any students who’ve moved from warmer states willing to share their experience?
Yes they do!

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yes they do!
Thank you for your reply Popsandtops. From your HSC year, I was wondering if your intel might come from a relative??
I’d also love to find out if any of the colleges have a piano or keyboard that residential students can access. We were hoping that my son would get the opportunity to scope out the colleges during NMSS but it’s going to be a virtual camp again.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
I’ve looked up the ANU website regarding their student residences, but would love more information from anyone with direct experience.

Many of them list having ‘music facilities’, but how much access would a student have to either a piano or keyboard? Do any of the residential colleges have multiple pianos/keyboards? Are there restriction on hours for practice or do they have keyboards with earphones that will allow 24 hr access?

Is there anyone in this forum who has stayed in one of these residences and who would recommend their residence?

@anuresi - Could you elaborate on why Bruce & Ursula would be your picks?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)