Accommodation woes (1 Viewer)

hannahxxx

HSC
Hi all.
Basically I'm moving to Sydney next year for my double law deg., but the prob is I can only afford a room in a 5 bed shared apartment(which is bound to be noisy). I have issues here cause I'm serious about studying, yet there's no guarantee the other people in my apartment will feel the same way. Has anyone else had this kind of prob? I have the option of moving in with a rellie, but I'd prefer to be on campus...
Is where I live likely to have an impact on my grades?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Where on campus is there a 5 bedroom appartment?

Where does your relative live?

Share accommodation will have a negative impact on your grades. You will experience more freedom (since you're away with your parents), and whatever your intentions, it'll be hard to resist the joys of slacking off. Of course, you could also use libraries, etc. in order to study. I spent a lot of time studying in a uni study centre.

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
If you're serious above doing a double law degree, I wouldn't want to live in the shared apartment. Go with the relative. Where you live has a definite impact on the time and inclination you have to work and that directly influences how you do in your degree. And unless you're very, very lucky, the apartment will not be the most conducive environment for study (though your social life might be great) - it'll almost certainly be worse than your relative's house.

EDIT: Stazi's suggestion of using libraries may be a good compromise.

I_F

Last edited:

Quintin

HSC
Come to St Andrews College we have a law library and tutorials in law and about 12 law students per year... so in other words come to Andrews... feel free to give me an email if you would like to talk about it further...

Cheers

Q

ps and one last thing apply NOW!!! Spots are running out...

aussiechica7

HSC
I'm sure there are other serious students in your position (particularly international students and other out of towners). Contact the accommodation board and/or student union of the university you are applying to and ask them for advice. Also, putting a notice up on the university website's forum (if it has one) or on the notices boards can be a good way to look for other people to all get a house together with.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
there are always people looking for flat mates who put up notices on the notceboards at uni, so you could try that for a 2-3 ppl share house, and you can pick to live with ppl who have similar study habits.

Or you can use the libraries (there are heaps around), but they get busy towards the end of semester, so you have to get in early, and they can be noisy too if ppl are inconsiderate.

Sydney uni village is a rip off... finding your own share accom would be much cheaper, but it depends if you want to be able to go home for like 3 months in the hols and not pay rent...

But, having said that, at Sydney uni village, they have student resident people in charge of telling people to shut up at night and stuff, but my friend works as one, and they have had a lot of problems with people just being obnoxious shits who are impossible to live with (ie- eating other ppls food, being noisy, never cleaning up after themselves etc), and since you dont get to pick who you live with, you could be lucky or unlucky.

You could always live with your rellie until you find a nice share house to move into, or until you make friends who want to move out (this happens a lot esp after 1st year, people make friends and move in together). This might also make the transition easier while you adjust to uni and find out what your workload is going to be like.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Mambomeg said:
But, having said that, at Sydney uni village, they have student resident people in charge of telling people to shut up at night and stuff, but my friend works as one, and they have had a lot of problems with people just being obnoxious shits who are impossible to live with (ie- eating other ppls food, being noisy, never cleaning up after themselves etc), and since you dont get to pick who you live with, you could be lucky or unlucky.
Why doesn't SUV let you pick your roommates? I've wondered that since I first read about it. I'd be far more interested in it if I could get a group of my friends together in a three or five bedroom apartment rather than having to enter the roommate lottery.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
i dont know... it would make much more sense to let people pick, in terms of keeping people happy. I guess it must be randomised or something to keep it fair, or maybe its to make people mix and mingle... who knows!

Quintin

HSC
SUV is an acquired taste... either you like or do not like it... its the same with college, some people can not deal with it (not many that i know of, but there are always one or two that leave in O-Week -- but dont worry about initiations and stuff, esp. at Drews they are all voluntary and they are really not bad at all ... no one got hurt)...

lol, as for my last post i know i sounded very pro-Andrews and i am, but in all seriousness there are reasons for any college
- you live with people who also do what you do so you can grab help
- there are always ppl to party with, and you can always knuckle down when you need... believe me its good to know you can always have a study break...
- you have post-grad tutors
- all your food, cleaning... is dealt with
- you dont have to share a room

... but is a personal choice, albeit one you have to make very soon because spots are running out...

Good luck...

shes_jinxed

HSC
Quintin said:
SUV is an acquired taste... either you like or do not like it... its the same with college, some people can not deal with it (not many that i know of, but there are always one or two that leave in O-Week -- but dont worry about initiations and stuff, esp. at Drews they are all voluntary and they are really not bad at all ... no one got hurt)...

lol, as for my last post i know i sounded very pro-Andrews and i am, but in all seriousness there are reasons for any college
- you live with people who also do what you do so you can grab help
- there are always ppl to party with, and you can always knuckle down when you need... believe me its good to know you can always have a study break...
- you have post-grad tutors
- all your food, cleaning... is dealt with
- you dont have to share a room

... but is a personal choice, albeit one you have to make very soon because spots are running out...

Good luck...
wow you should be put on the pay roll at drews for marketing lol

i think she mentioned her budget was a room in a 5 bedroom apartment so unfortunately i doubt college is an option plus there are harld any places left

I would take the relative option.
best of luck

Last edited:

Quintin

HSC
shes_jinxed said:
wow you should be put on the pay roll at drews for marketing lol

i think she mentioned her budget was a room in a 5 bedroom apartment so unfortunately i doubt college is an option plus there are harld any places left

I would take the relative option.
best of luck
yeah thinking about it ;) ... Well with her marks she should be on a couple of scholarships so that would help (6000 com faculty + law faculty if she did really well + 1000 college and a then youth allowance - food costs/electricity/...), if not then womens has full scholarships... otherwise SUV does work as long as you dont get bad neighbours...

If she has friends in Syd i would move in with them into an apartment in Redfern... that will be cheapest depending on how many friends... If not goto college for a semester and then once you do know some people then move out...

Anyway i best be off...

Best of Luck!

lala2

Banned
HSC
Relative is probably the best option--how near is your relative's place to USYD? Or move into college for one semester and then move out once you find some people to share places with. You may be lucky and get out within 2 months of uni starting--one girl I know moved out in May last year (albeit from her parents' house), as she had found a bunch of friends living in a townhouse next to UNSW who needed a 6th flatmate. Also convenient as she had extensive revue rehearsal schedules and in between that needed to study until midnight closer to the exams, in the UNSW library.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)