Accommodation (1 Viewer)

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
wow you all seem organised! i'm looking to transfer to either ANU or UC, i haven't fully decided yet (leaning towards ANU), and i'm worried about accomodation like you all.

i was just wondering when is the latest possible date i can defer? if i'm not able to find accomodation before uni starts, do you think they will let me defer for the first session?

jlh

sooner or later...
HSC
yeah i go to sydney uni.. i want to transfer to a commerce or economics course and the entry requirements for USYD or UNSW or UTS are too high and i don't think i will make it in.

uh, i already applied for some business courses else where, but a friend of mine said i should look into ANU. so all i got to do is just change my preferences.

so, back to my original question in my last post:
Originally posted by jlh
i was just wondering when is the latest possible date i can defer? if i'm not able to find accomodation before uni starts, do you think they will let me defer for the first session?
THANKS

s2ophie

HSC
has anyone heard anything about their ANU accom applications yet? i know they close jan 5th but you never know.

s2ophie

HSC
lol at Ms 12. i thought ANU was way down on your preferences though. maybe i just have a shonky memory

Mad maxi, go to the websites of the colleges and halls. thats the best place to find info

bt3000

hi all.. how are people's applications going? this year i lived at Burgmann College. (did the HSC in '02). I'm planning to re-apply for next year as well.

I highly recommend calling up the hall or college you're applying to and asking about the progress of your application. I received an offer but it didn't reach me by mail! so I was lucky I called them.

goodluck :)

bt3000

Originally posted by Ms 12
Just a quick q bout accomodation at the halls...do they make you leave during the holidays? Cos this will cause problems for employment, employers generally don't like you taking 3 weeks off (and usuallu longer for uni hols)
I live at Burgmann college- This applies to Burgmann - but this may also apply to some other colleges. Yes you do have to move out unless you specifically extend your contract to cover the vacation period. This is because the college hosts conferences and summer scholars (research students). Usually 2 weeks before a vacation, we're given the opportunity to book our rooms for that period - but sometimes the chances of you getting your room in the holidays are pretty slim - so it's best if you decide whether you'll be staying during the vacation in advance rather than 2 weeks before the break. Don't forget you'll be liable for the fees for the vacation period if you decide to stay.

any more Qs? feel free to ask :)

Last edited:

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
hey bt3000, I have applied to Bruce Hall... a couple of weeks ago,
my references were contacted and they had to each fill out a questionaire concerning me.... I havent heard anything after this, does this mean the application is proceeding? and when abouts do offers for spots in college come out?

bt3000

Originally posted by Bolkonski
hey bt3000, I have applied to Bruce Hall... a couple of weeks ago,
my references were contacted and they had to each fill out a questionaire concerning me.... I havent heard anything after this, does this mean the application is proceeding? and when abouts do offers for spots in college come out?
You probably won't know if you've been successful or not until mid to late january. it says this on the ANU accommodation site:

Notification - when do I find out if I get a room?
Successful applicants will be notified from 19th January 2004

my memory could be off here, but the deadline for accepting offers was the 30th of january at burgmann. there is a lot of competition for places, and i think that competition will be even greater now. many people missed out and canberra only has a rental vacancy rate of around 2.7%. it's a good idea to call them and ask how your application is going. also start looking at alternatives just in case you don't get in.

this is the link to the housing online page.. http://www.anu.edu.au/accom/housingonline/

cheers :)

Last edited:

bt3000

Originally posted by 2003HSC
which is the cheapest hall and doesnt have catering?
probably Fenner Hall. It's on Northbourne Ave. approx. 5 mins drive from campus. they have a shuttle bus service running throughout the day from fenner to campus.

the CAMPUS MAP is here

a tip to make your lives a little easier:

during o-week, think about joining a program called SIGN. it makes moving to a new city and starting uni a whole less daunting :)

cheers

Bolkonski

Brother Angry Dave
HSC
no offense, but wouldnt they have a hard enough job... busy enough job anyway... they dont need some peep ringing up bugging them about one application...

on another note.. do you have a number that I can do this... for Bruce Hall?

bt3000

Originally posted by Bolkonski
no offense, but wouldnt they have a hard enough job... busy enough job anyway... they dont need some peep ringing up bugging them about one application...

on another note.. do you have a number that I can do this... for Bruce Hall?
none taken. try going to the admin section of their website for contact details.. http://www.bruce.anu.edu.au

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
I applied for John XXIII (Fenner second choice), hoping its not too popular. Also hoping they don't try to contact my academic referee cos its my principal and I put the school's address and phone #!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)