Accomodation Confusion (1 Viewer)

oldnewbieraver

HSC
Hey all,

I am new in here! I am an international student..did my degree in Monash. Was back in Malaysia for 2 years and I am thinking of doing my postgrad at Macquarie University.

I've looked through like 15 pages of this forum and could not find any concrete posts dealing with accomodation alone. So I decided to start a new thread to clear doubts and which might help others with similar problems as well.

Ok im talking about international students' rates:From the MQ site and with my handy calculator, i came up with the following 2007 rates for comparison.

Dunmore Lang College - Catered

Shared Communal Bathroom
Daily - 45
Weekly - 315
Monthly - 1350

Shared Ensuite Bathroom with One person
Daily – 52.3
Weekly - 366
Monthly - 1569

Private Ensuite Room
Daily – 57.6
Weekly - 403
Monthly - 1728

Robert Menzies College - Catered
Daily – 42.4
Weekly - 296
Monthly - 1272

Macquarie University Village – Private Ensuite Single

Daily – 31.4
Weekly - 220
Monthly – 943

Balaclava

Private Ensuite Single
Daily – 31.4
Weekly - 220
Monthly – 943

Single Room – Semester Rate/Yearly Rate
Daily – 28.5/24.3
Weekly – 200/170
Monthly – 857/729

Macquarie Parkland

Daily – 28.5
Weekly – 200
Monthly – 857

Herring Road

Daily – 25.7-28.5
Weekly – 180-200
Monthly – 772-857

So there you go, questions:

1. Which do you guys think is the most reasonably priced place to stay at?

2. Apart from the colleges, there are no internet connections available in the rooms. Is it easy AND is it expensive to go about getting a broadband connection?

3. How does this compare against rooms that can be rented on our own just outside campus? What is the average weekly cost for a furnished room just outside campus?

Some background information. My postgrad (sociology) is completely by research. Which means I have no classmates, classes, tutorials, nothing. That also means I will feel like a loser in uni for the first few weeks unless I get to know people elsewhere...haha. This is why I was planning to stay on campus for the 1st sem or two (so that I get to meet people), before moving out to a cheaper place off-campus after that. What do u fellows think?

Merry Christmas in advance by the way! Today is Christmas eve! woo hoo!:santa:

Last edited:

hannahxxx

HSC
oldnewbieraver said:
Apart from the colleges, there are no internet connections available in the rooms. Is it easy AND is it expensive to go about getting a broadband connection?
From what I've been reading, there's internet connection at Macq. VILLAGE ($33 p/month). I'm also in need of accomodation.

Main problem for me is that I'm a study fanatic and I can't afford anything else apart from a 5 bedroom shared at Macquarie village($177 p/w with costs)-which is bound to b noisy. Arrrggghhh I wonder what time the library closes-and whether or not I can sleep amongst the bookshelves?

Sorry, I didn't really answer your question-just added my situation and made it more complicated :(

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Main part closes around 8pm computer area used to close at 10pm but that's being moved so will have to re-confirm.

xclo

HSC
if ur really that worried about getting internet, u could always get a wireless internet connection like veritel wireless. it's 256/312, $49 a month and 12 gig limit, i think i just slows down after that. u could probabley even set up a wireless network there so u could share the connection as well as cost with other people accomodating there who also want internet connection (just talk with them). even at slower speeds, it should be fine for checking email or researching material, although maybe it's not what'll want for online gaming or large file downloads.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)