Accounting Cadetships 2009 (1 Viewer)

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
i got an offer!! yeah it is weird. i was expecting like 10-15 and then there was just one other girl! it was a pretty good day all up.

we totally have a bos kpmg audit crew happening haha

Well done Gibbo! Funny how you got an interview during school days though. When are your trials?
they start next week. yeah its only late cos they opened up some more spots haha. ah well i'm happy.

Good job gibbo, just wondering ru in syd or melbourne coz if you're sydney I might see you around next yr? Woah an assessment day with 2 ppl, that'd be a bit aawkward lol...
thanks =]=] i'm in sydney so i'll see you round!

Last edited:

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
hmm thats all that i know of. chsjtb09 (pat) got into HLB Mann Judd with me but didn't get an offer. how many are in KPMG? and has Namu decided what he's doing yet?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
[lazy double post by me]
seeing as i'm extremely impatient, to those who have their contract already what's the salary for KPMG?

pearling

HSC
N/A
All the Big4 cadet salaries are between $30000-31000 for the full time work aprttime sytudy stage.

Does anyone know what cadets earn after they graduated and while they do CA and how much they earn after they finish their CA? How many cadets get hired by Big 4 after the contratc ends? Also is it easy to move up the corporate ladder in a Big 4 firm?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
nice nice. is it at KPMG that we get a $500 suit allowance? lol sorry to add questions but i don't know the answers to any of those pearling sorry haha

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
All the Big4 cadet salaries are between $30000-31000 for the full time work aprttime sytudy stage.

Does anyone know what cadets earn after they graduated and while they do CA and how much they earn after they finish their CA? How many cadets get hired by Big 4 after the contratc ends? Also is it easy to move up the corporate ladder in a Big 4 firm?
something like 60000 I would think.

How many cadets? I am sure you get guaranteed employment with the company after Uni.

BTW BIG CONGRATS TO GIBBBOOO =)

pearling

HSC
N/A
Hey Gibbo we do get$550 book allowance per year so you cna buy a suit with that if you want? You're in sydney yet? Hopefully we'll be working together next yr :) Hmm is 60000 for after you're qualified as a CA? And have you signed and cadetship lyounamu?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Hey Gibbo we do get$550 book allowance per year so you cna buy a suit with that if you want? You're in sydney yet? Hopefully we'll be working together next yr :) Hmm is 60000 for after you're qualified as a CA? And have you signed and cadetship lyounamu?
I got about 3 weeks to think about now. I am mostly going into actuarial studies. I have learnt that maths from actuarial studies is far much more interesting than accounting one and i guess it will suit me better.

but i am leaving my options open.

BTW, if you are qualified as a CA, you prob get more than 60000 more like 70000+ range...I am not completely sure.

But I thought u start CA training after u graduate...right?

Just after graduate, you would get like...60000 purely from ur experience. I mean u would be like 2 years ahead of grads so ye that's my guess

BTW, how much do you get when u don't work (i.e. the year when u don't work and go to uni full time). Do you get like 10000? That's what I heard somewhere @_@

pearling

HSC
N/A
I'm pretty clueless about salaries and things like that and it'd be a bit awkward for me to ask even though I'm dying to know because I fear they'll give us crappy pay since we're contracted to work for them .. good luck with the actuarial path, my cousin did it and she's now got this 6 figure salary job striaght out of uni and travels around heaps. It's definitely very INTENSE and rigorous but if you can do it, you will have a great life :) I'm a bit iffy about cadetship atm since I would really like to do law if I get the ATAR for it.But I heard competition for summer clerkships and graduate positions is like uber competitive and I guess I really like how cadetship givs you job and financial security... But I THINK in the long run a legal career is more open, dynamic and financial rewarding? I dont know I'm so confused :(

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I'm pretty clueless about salaries and things like that and it'd be a bit awkward for me to ask even though I'm dying to know because I fear they'll give us crappy pay since we're contracted to work for them .. good luck with the actuarial path, my cousin did it and she's now got this 6 figure salary job striaght out of uni and travels around heaps. It's definitely very INTENSE and rigorous but if you can do it, you will have a great life :) I'm a bit iffy about cadetship atm since I would really like to do law if I get the ATAR for it.But I heard competition for summer clerkships and graduate positions is like uber competitive and I guess I really like how cadetship givs you job and financial security... But I THINK in the long run a legal career is more open, dynamic and financial rewarding? I dont know I'm so confused :(
comm/law is a very good course to consider if you are able to get in. One of the biggest drawback of doing cadetship is the fact that u cannot do double degree =(

cadetship is not the best for someone who wants to do maths/language/international studies apart from commerce degree (i.e. me)

Pooney

HSC
does anyone know when's the closing date for cadetship applications for hall chadwick?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Hall Chadwick is closing 31st of August =]

Namu, i think the years when cadets work full time they are paid on a casual hourly rate for an accountant of their experience. its not a reduced salary as such. thats what it was explained to me as at duncan dovico i assume it would be a similar system.

gq430

HSC
N/A
Hey, all. Congrats to those who got cadetships! Does anyone know how much cadets get for their weekly allowance during 3rd and 4th year when it is study full time??
Thanks!

lsdpoon1337

HSC
Doing a cadetship may not really cut you off from comm/law as say if you didn't like the cadetship, you could transfer out after 1 or 2 years full time study (or equivalent in part-time) with a 97+ UAI (ATAR equivalent) and still graduate at the same time with your year 12 cohort.

Yeah, I heard from family friends doing law that getting a grad job or clerkship is highly competitive and that a law degree is only beneficial in the workplace if your marks are super high (HD's only lol).

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Doing a cadetship may not really cut you off from comm/law as say if you didn't like the cadetship, you could transfer out after 1 or 2 years full time study (or equivalent in part-time) with a 97+ UAI (ATAR equivalent) and still graduate at the same time with your year 12 cohort.
Some mid-tier and smaller firms will sometimes allow cadets to do a BComm/LLB double. Though most don't like anything other than a single degree, i know that cadets at Moore Stephens and Camphin Boston have recently been taken on to undertake a commerce-law double.

that plan is certainly ambitious haha. if you got a 97+ UAI why wouldn't you just start LLB at UTS and then switch somewhere else?

pearling

HSC
N/A
This is something I dont fully understand: we see mid tier firm and PwC allowing cadets to do double degree, yet 3 of the big 4 still only allow single degree?? The reason they usually give is that it takes too long to do a double deg part time - but if other top and midtier firms are doing it, shouldnt fiirms follow or they'll lose the top candidates? Hopefully they'll change this policy in the cming years coz its a pain.

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
yeah i guess thats true. maybe they could introduce some system where you just took sort of unpaid leave for a year or something like that. i guess the main issue is that they only want you to be burdening their coffers for the minimum time possible. so maybe if there was something where a cadet got less allowances or soemthing they wouldn't lose as much from letting people do doubles. cos i would have loved to do arts or law as well as commerce

lsdpoon1337

HSC
I know that at EY, the cadets in tax and legal do a double degree in law whilst the assurance/ audit cadets do only a single.

Doing a double degree + cadetship would be impractical in my opinion. Since the point of a cadetship is to fast track your career and doing a double degree would take way too long. I think that transferring out or just doing a cadetship then going on to post grad law would be more viable if you realised accounting wasn't right for you. But then again a CA does have many opportunities in addition to accounting.

lsdpoon1337

HSC
that plan is certainly ambitious haha. if you got a 97+ UAI why wouldn't you just start LLB at UTS and then switch somewhere else?
Yeah you could do an LLB at UTS or Mac then transfer, but doing a cadetship then transferring to UNSW or Usyd Comm/ law would provide you some cash to support you through uni whilst going for a prestiguous law degree

HSC
I know that at EY, the cadets in tax and legal do a double degree in law whilst the assurance/ audit cadets do only a single.

Doing a double degree + cadetship would be impractical in my opinion. Since the point of a cadetship is to fast track your career and doing a double degree would take way too long. I think that transferring out or just doing a cadetship then going on to post grad law would be more viable if you realised accounting wasn't right for you. But then again a CA does have many opportunities in addition to accounting.
Last year EY offered my friend a double degree, but he didn't take it because where on earth would you find the time to balance work, life and study? D:

EY 3rd & 4th year = $8000 allowance, but I don't know how much your salary will be if you choose to work part time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)