• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Accounting major-accred or no accred? (1 Viewer)

taco man

don't know don't care
HSC
Hey guys i just need some advice

Im in my 2nd year of a b.commerce/arts and im pretty much deciding my final majors so i dont stuff up on what units i have to do, etc. So far ive decided on marketing, accounting, sociology and maybe another arts major- eiter history or anthropology. I'm still tossing up on whether its worth its worth it doing all those extra units for professional accreditation seeing as it will be streching my credit points for my other majors since i'll have to do 72 senior credit points for my arts side of my degree. I just want to know what are the job prospects of having a accounting major as opposed to one with cpa/ca accreditation and does practically everyone who does a accounting major go for it?

thanks

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
Yes if you're trying to be an accountant, (or something in that kind of work area) you should probably go for CPA if you're doing an Accounting Major anyway. (That's what I'm doing at any rate).

Here is Link for accreditation subjects: http://www.econ.usyd.edu.au/major/109

tlodg

HSC
N/A
I thought you were aiming for a marketing major?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
which one is more internationally recognised?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
If you cover your CA subjects you generally cover your CPA subjects requirements aswell, I think...

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
That's because you do your CA after your CPA don't you?

tlodg

HSC
N/A
what971 said:
That's because you do your CA after your CPA don't you?
I thought most people only become CA or CPA (Not both)?

Maybe that's because the units you do for CPA accreditation will cover the units required for CA too.. but correct me if I'm wrong.

what971

Now in Oriental Flavour!
HSC
N/A
CA is harder because you need to do additional (postgraduate) program while working as an (apprentice?) to a person who already has a CA.

Something like Star Wars except not as fun.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
Nah - you've got the 2 different qualifications wrong.

They are 2 different qualifications from 2 different institutes.

You have certain requirements to become a CA and certain requirements to become a CPA.

Ok, I think thats repetitious enough...a search should help you find info on the specific requirements of the (different) qualifications. :)

jpr333

HSC
what971 said:
CA is harder because you need to do additional (postgraduate) program while working as an (apprentice?) to a person who already has a CA.

Something like Star Wars except not as fun.
Kek

I'm gowing weary of the CA marketing blitz's. Apparently you don't have a life for 2 years ><, guess it's one of the many road blocks of life you face on the yellow brick road to riches and happiness(?)... The Big 4 accounting firms expect 10 hour days from cadets (whilst undertaking the CA program) for 50k base packages, may as well work in a bank or private equity etc? But what do they expect 12-14 hour days? Oh mercy.

Also there are more financial alternatives like a CFA.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
lol CFA is death though (or so I have heard)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)