Accounting Vs Finance (1 Viewer)

Validity

HSC
Which one would be more worth it? I generally find finance a lot more interesting than accounting.
However, I heard that jobs are hard to come by with finance (disregard investment banking) and that accounting majors can get the same jobs as finance? Is this true?
If it is, then wouldn't it be better off to major in accounting (which is more stable than finance) and then apply for finance jobs? that way you also have a backup in accounting?

williamdaft

HSC
I want to major in both accounting and finance. Well, jobs in either major are very competitive to find in the next decade..

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
I don't think many people get finance jobs without a finance/economics major,they are likely doing both accounting and finance or transferring after a few years from accounting and done their CA/CPA.They could also just be working a bank but as a support role which involves accounting(and gives the illusion that because they are working in a bank, they have a finance role). The point that some banks hire from "any" major does apply,but in reality most are hired with an understanding (e.g finance)

Why not choose both majors like others? They complement each other pretty well.

Last edited:

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
I don't think many people get finance jobs without a finance/economics major,they are likely doing both accounting and finance or transferring after a few years from accounting and done their CA/CPA.They could also just be working a bank but as a support role which involves accounting(and gives the illusion that because they are working in a bank, they have a finance role). The point that some banks hire from "any" major does apply,but in reality most are hired with an understanding (e.g finance)

He/she might be doing a double degree

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I hardly know anyone working in finance who has an accounting major. Finance and economics majors tend to be more common.

Validity

HSC
I plan to major in Marketing for my other major however I also would not mind working in finance jobs.
I was leaning towards finance however judging from the posts, it would seem pretty useless unless i combined it with economics.
I guess I should major in accounting then?

Unless, Does anyone know if completing a Masters of Accounting at UNSW will help me get an accounting job at the big 4 and would it be similar to majoring in accounting in a bachelors degree? I was thinking maybe i could double major in finance and marketing (for bachelor of commerce) and then do a postgrad program (masters of accounting) or is that not allowed (because i know for sure that I cannot triple major in finance/accounting/marketing)?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I think it depends on type of finance work the Op is interested in. Some jobs (e.g. portfolio manager/reporting/analyst) use skills very similar to accounting (e.g. presentation and interpretation of financial/accounting data) whilst other jobs might be more driven by financial/quant modelling and rely on knowledge of economic data (lead/lag, how it all flows through/impacts, etc).

Praer

HSC
Uni Grad
He/she might be doing a double degree
wait. someone told me that even if you do a double degree, you can get upto 3 majors if they're from the same faculty.
Is this wrong?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)