Acct major - electives (1 Viewer)

HSC
N/A
Hello! Just wondering if anyone can give me some advices on which electives to choose if I major in accounting?

I have to choose 3 from the following:

ACCT3583 Management Accounting 2 (6 UOC)
ACCT3585 E-Business: Strategy & Process (6 UOC)
ACCT3601 Global Financial Reporting & (6 UOC)
ACCT3610 Business Analysis & Valuation (6 UOC)
ACCT3708 Auditing & Assurance Services (6 UOC)
FINS3626 Int'l Corporate Governance (6 UOC)

I know MA2 and Audit are required if I want CPA qualification, but it's not likely that I will pursue a career in accounting so I only care about the ease/workload of the subject (i.e. chances of getting a high mark)
i cant take tabl2741 so i can only choose from the above :(
I have screwed up most of my accounting cores so really need some courses to lift the WAM up. please help

p.s. is anyone doing acct3563 this semester? I find it ridiculously hard to get good marks, am on 50% right now. tips anyone? :(

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO you might want to do the subjects which might be required for a post grad qualification later on. You may think you don't want to pursue a career in accounting but given you've already done the majority of the requirements (and are doing an accounting major), do you really want to close that opportunity in the future just to improve your ease/workload balance now? I've seen many people who have had to go back and just do 1 or 2 uni subjects to meet the expectations of future employers, or to get the qualification which gives them a substantial career progression opportunity they would not have otherwise had. I'd also add that at 3xxx level, the subjects aren't meant to be easy/WAM boosters given these are for people who are committed to a particular field.

Out of the subjects you mentioned, I did 3708 because it's audit/required for CA (and whilst I found it relatively easy, not everyone does), 3585 (which is a very cruisy subject - but maybe they've updated the content by now such that Dell and Cisco aren't the leading edge companies that we used for case studies a decade ago and the assessment of two group presentations has been changed) and 3626 (surprisingly easy to grasp but you just need to read the various texts - and as an added bonus can count towards either finance or accounting major).

HSC
N/A
Thank you for your detailed reply!

Can i just ask if fins3626 is a wordy subjects and does it involve a lot of financial/mathematical concepts? as i only major in acct but not fins, i am afraid i might find it hard :? i hv only done fins1612

thanks!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Corporate governance is pretty easy too. At least in my time the key thing was ASIC has good corporate governance principles and then you need to compare and contrast what one company does against these principles. It's not too challenging but is a good test of your ability to present information relative to a criteria aka gap assessment (something which I ended up doing quite often in real life as a consultant).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)