• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Accused 15 yr old terrorist in Guantanamo (2 Viewers)

mortein2008

HSC
Grainy video images of the 2003 interrogation of tearful Canadian detainee Omar Khadr at the US military prison in Guantanamo Bay have given the Canadian public a rare glimpse of a young man who has become a polarising figure in his home country.

The video tape, made public by order of a Canadian court, showed Mr Khadr during four days of questioning by Canadian intelligence agents.

Six months earlier, when he was only 15 years old, he had been captured in a bombed-out compound in Afghanistan, badly injured and near death.

Mr Khadr was charged with murdering a US soldier, allegedly throwing a grenade during a violent exchange with American commandos. His trial before a US military tribunal is expected in October.

It's time for this travesty to stop and for Omar Khadr to come home to Canada to face justice under Canadian law

Nathan Whitley
Lawyer for Omar Khadr

Mr Khadr's Canadian lawyers pointed to footage from Mr Khadr's second day of questioning which showed him frightened and sobbing, pleading with the Canadian security agents.

The lawyers said they hoped to gain public support to renew pressure on the Conservative government of Prime Minister Stephen Harper to demand the return of the young Canadian, now 21.

"It is beyond comprehension that Prime Minister Harper continues to tolerate the treatment of a Canadian citizen in this manner," said Nathan Whitley, one of Mr Khadr's lawyers, who accuses the US military authorities of torturing a confession from the wounded teenager.

"It's time for this travesty to stop and for Omar Khadr to come home to Canada to face justice under Canadian law."

'Judicial process'

But Mr Harper has always maintained he will not seek Mr Khadr's return to Canada, and that position appeared to be unchanged after the release of the video.

Q&A: Military tribunals
Glimpse inside Guantanamo

Anne Howland, a spokeswoman for the Canadian foreign ministry, repeated a statement made by the prime minister last week, that the government believes Mr Khadr is in a legal process that must continue.

Mr Harper has said in the past that he has received assurances that Mr Khadr is being treated humanely, and maintained that the charges he faces are very serious. The government regards Mr Khadr's trial as a judicial process, not a political one.

Canada is the only western country that has not demanded the return of its detainees from the controversial detention centre at Guantanamo Bay.

France and Britain are among the countries that have succeeded in having their nationals released following diplomatic pressure on US authorities.

The fact that Mr Khadr was only 15 at the time of his arrest has led some here to refer to him as a "child soldier", including Bob Rae, the foreign affairs critic for the opposition Liberal party.

"He's clearly not going to get a real trial. He's going to get a military tribunal," said Mr Rae. "I think that Omar Khadr has [to be] brought home and that whatever justice is to be faced, he should face it here."

Strong views

While that view is more or less shared by all three of Canada's three federal opposition parties, and human rights groups such as Amnesty International, public opinion is sharply divided with strong views on either side of the debate. Media websites have been inundated with responses.

"I see Khadr crying and whining about his physical state," says one of 600 e-mails received by Canada's public broadcaster, the CBC. "Let's not forget he has been accused of killing an American soldier. So truthfully, I don't feel sorry for him."

Says another: "Whatever his crime... he was a child when he was sent to Afghanistan to fight and at that young age could not have possibly understood the implications of what he was doing. He has suffered enough."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7508777.stm

Should the Canadian government leave him there or not? Discuss.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
mortein2008 said:
Should the Canadian government leave him there or not? Discuss.
Ofcourse not. I'm surprised such a case exists where they would have left him there that long in the first place. Fucking american pieces of shit.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
So this kid's Muslim(?) parents in Canada sent him to Afghanistan to fight, he killed people, and now the US has him locked up?

Well, either way he's fucked up for life. It's not exactly easy to overcome the type of brain washing that makes you willing to kill, let alone reconcile the fact that you actually did kill people.

Last edited:

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
Slidey said:
So this kid's Muslim(?) parents in Canada sent him to Afghanistan to fight, he killed people, and now the US has him locked up?

Well, either way he's fucked up for life. It's not exactly easy to overcome the type of brain washing that makes you willing to kill, let alone reconcile the fact that you actually did kill people.
that's what i was thinking aswell. yeah, i feel sorry for him, but how the fuck did he get to Afghanistan at the age of 15 killing US/NATO soldiers. there is no way he made that decision himself.

problem been indoctrinated from birth from his radical r parents.

fucking they should be in Cuba.

fucking filth.

johnnydepp

HSC
Slidey said:

can't really blame him:
"The late family patriarch, Ahmed Said Khadr, was an associate of al-Qaeda leader Osama Bin Laden and the family spent time living in some of his compounds...another brother, Abdullah Khadr, currently in prison in Canada awaiting extradition to the US on charges of gun-running and conspiracy to murder Americans abroad"

TacoTerrorist

HSC
Good. He killed some cocksucker American soldier invading his country. Where's the crime?

that's what i was thinking aswell. yeah, i feel sorry for him, but how the fuck did he get to Afghanistan at the age of 15 killing US/NATO soldiers. there is no way he made that decision himself.

problem been indoctrinated from birth from his radical r parents.

fucking they should be in Cuba.

fucking filth.
Dude you need to stop sucking up to the pro-Americans on this board. He has every right to fight those fucking yanks tooth and nail. If some Americans illegally invaded my country and started telling me how to live my life while raping my neighbour and bombing my street I'd shoot one or more of those fuckers in the face and I'd have every right to do so.

Last edited:

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
Good. He killed some cocksucker American soldier invading his country. Where's the crime?

Dude you need to stop sucking up to the pro-Americans on this board. He has every right to fight those fucking yanks tooth and nail. If some Americans illegally invaded my country and started telling me how to live my life while raping my neighbour and bombing my street I'd shoot one or more of those fuckers in the face and I'd have every right to do so.
It's funny because you belong in Guantanamo Bay.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
^ It's funny because you are pro-Imperialism and anti-freedom.
Nah. Just against extremists Muslim nutjobs like you running amok.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ So if you were living in Afghanistan and a foreign superpower invaded you would just sit back and let them bomb it into submission to acheive their own ends? And you think it is 'extreme' to want to fight to defend your home? Start thinking for yourself instead of thinking how the media wants you to think.

People like you like to think they believe in a particular ideal, but you don't defend it, you just believe.

Last edited:

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
People like you like to think they believe in a particular ideal, but you don't defend it, you just believe.
It's funny because whenever you're challenged you just jump straight into insults/attacks or never reply.

HalcyonSky

HSC
this kid is scum, anyone who sympathises with him is an idiot

TacoTerrorist

HSC
^ That's either because a) The person is clearly an idiot or b) The person is not worth arguing with because the argument will not go anywhere. I also meant this in a more physical sense.

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
TacoTerrorist said:
So when are you planning to take up arms in the global jihad?

Graney

Horse liberty
HSC
So you just believe your ideals, but you're not actually prepared to make anything like a serious effort to defend them, just another pussy.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
TacoTerrorist said:
^ That's either because a) The person is clearly an idiot or b) The person is not worth arguing with because the argument will not go anywhere. I also meant this in a more physical sense.
Again, I see this applying to you.

Just.Snaz

HSC
TacoTerrorist kind of does have a point, nevertheless the whole shooting/killing people cause they 'invade' your country is a little uh.. barbaric?

Like okay, fair enough that people are pissed that you've got these American troops charging into your country but I don't think you can correctly call it an 'invasion' as such a word implies. I honestly don't know if the American's say they are trying to help when they're actually being a painful nuisance (literally) or they are actually just trying to do right but people like TacoTerrorist think they're doing otherwise.

And how could someone possibly know? Unless that is off course you decide to go there yourself.. but otherwise, the media does deliver bias news that makes it quite difficult for any person to determine the truth.

So I feel that TacoTerrorist should relax a little and not be so defensive or rather, attackive (can't find the word).. cause yes you can't agree with the media but you can't also be completely against it.. It's not like the media is satan and is ALWAYS lieing..

Anyways, that's my two cents :)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)