• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

ACER v Dell laptops (1 Viewer)

Spirits

HSC
N/A
Hey I was wondering which laptop would be better if they were both the same price ($2000-$2500) and had the same specs. Would one have a better on-site warranty service? Would one have superior quality workmanship? I've heard the dell has "noise problems" even though i'm not sure. Someone also told me that ACERs have better screens?

A

adamsaclown

Acers probably do have better screens. The screen on my Dell is fairly crap. Though the only noisy part about it is the CD/DVD player, everything else is very quiet.

fatmuscle

HSC
After 1 and 3/4 of years, very heavy usage, one side of my dell screen hinge snapped.

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A
Dell has shit service, have no idea what politik is on about. Outsourcing the majority of their customer service department to places like Bangalore isn't a deed of promoting 'good service'. The good thing about Dell in terms of customer service is the option to extend the range of services you're entitled to (i.e warranties, type of warranties etc.). When it comes to honouring warranties, that's a mixed bag.
As for screen quality, Dell's high range has 'UltraSharp' and 'TruLife'. TruLife's screen quality is pretty much on par with what Acer offers on their standard 14" and 15.4" widescreen range.
As for reputation, they're both pretty reputable. It's not like you're comparing a generic brand to some huge corporation, so let's move on from that issue.

Spirits

HSC
N/A
So you reckon ACER is better, if they are both the same price and have the same specs?

Spirits

HSC
N/A
Because they are cheaper than IBMs with similar specs.

Jason Bourne

HSC
N/A
Dell has flexible warranty options. That's it. Trying to get them to honour a claim is a fucking taxing effort, and those guys at Bangalore don't help. Once this process is done, they fix your laptop like a good dog.

Spirits: Stop dwelling on the Acer vs. Dell issue. Judge them on a laptop to laptop basis.

In general, I prefer Dells due to their customisation options. I got an Inspiron 6000 recently and I'm fairly pleased with it. But I would of gone with Dell regardless, because I wanted a WSXGA+ or higher res screen on a 15.4" widescreen.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
fatmuscle said:
After 1 and 3/4 of years, very heavy usage, one side of my dell screen hinge snapped.
Plus yours and other dells I've used (especially the one at work) get really really really hot -___-

fatmuscle

HSC
it's only worth buying a laptop if you are going to be using it as a laptop
don't use it as a replacement desktop
it's pretty stupid.

I left my laptop on for 2months straight. no rebooting, sleeping or hibernating.
no screen saver either :(

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
for an unknown reason ive always hated acer, prolly cos we got em at our old school and they look like they have been cheaply put together.
now i have to say dell's are cheaply made these days. our new PC which is dell came with crap all.
take it back 4 years ago when i got my p3 dell 766mhz. now that was quality > even came with a full on boom box or whatever its called for stereo system(i use it still for the new pc)
thats why id lean more to dell but then again its pretty cheaply made these days too..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)