Acid/Base reactions (1 Viewer)

ms wendi

about the dot point -

Gather and process information from secondary sources to trace developments in understanding and describing acid/base reactions-

could someone help me sort this out properly .. because i don't seem to understand how to write it out as in relation with scientist such as lavoisier etc... :(

thanks so much
much regards, wendi

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The first definition of acids and bases were derived from our taste of them. Acids tasted sour, hence it was derived from the Latin word: acer, meaning sharp. Bases, to humans, tasted bitter.

In 1776, the Frenchman Antoine Lavoisier discovered that many compounds with oxygen (non-metallic oxides) developed acidic properties in solution. He defined an acid as a non-metal compound containing oxygen.

In 1810, Humphry Davy showed that HCl has acidic properties and contained no oxygen. He redefined an acid as a substance containing hydrogen.

In 1894, Svante Arrhenius redefined the theory to explain that acids contain H+ ions which are liberated in solution. A base, he said, is a substance which contains OH ions in solution. However this theory does not account for all bases, such as sodium carbonate (Na2CO3).

In 1923, the Danish scientist Johannes Brnsted and Englishman Thomas Lowry proposed independent theories that an acid is a proton donor, a base a proton acceptor.

From Frigid's Chemistry notes

Last edited:

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Ragerunner
In 1776, the Frenchman Antoine Lavoisier discovered that many compounds with oxygen (non-metallic oxides) developed acidic properties in solution. He defined an acid as a non-metal compound containing hydrogen.
That should be a non-metal compound containing oxygen not hydrogen :)

Also, ms wendi, go have a look at the thread "dot point" which is further down in the Acidic Environment forum. There's more info on this dot point there.

ms wendi

thanks alot CM_tutor -
i'm sure i'll be heading just that way within 1 min :D

- regards wendi

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by abdooooo!!!
ahhh... lavoisier the father of modern chemistry.

but whats with him and his oxygens... just because he named it he has to conclude everything contained oxygen... idiot.
Go a bit easy on Lavoisier - there aren't many scientists whose mistakes are recorded on the periodic table for all eternity. :)

ms wendi

well.. hey guys... his a scientist =D
his smart.... his famous.. and yeh.. his mistakes are still recorded =]

enough said =D
i won't even go NEAR that stage haha.. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)