ACST101 Quizzes hALP! (1 Viewer)

Monstar

HSC
I need halp in acst101 online quizzes.. anyone who can give me detailed workings ?

plz halp.

plz.

X

xeuyrawp

Noone can help him - he obviously needs to help himself by not giving the general 'argh I need help <<no further info provided>>'

williamc

HSC
the quizzes in acst 101 are a cunt.

take ages and only worth 2/3 of a mark each (besides the last 2)

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
The quizzes for acst might take ages, but they're probably the best revision you'll get. If you're good enough at maths, you can probably HD in acst101 pretty much by doing these online quizzes and then learning elements/techs night before the exam.

CieL

HSC
lol acst101 was so much fun.

As if you need detailed workings. Just need the formula sheet [if even] and you're set!

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
He's a pretty nice guy actually. Fully qualified actuary too. I'm sure if, after you have attempted things yourself, that you are struggling, he will be willing to help

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
DarrylKerrigan said:
OMFG!! you found acst fun?!?! :confused:
that old man puts you to sleep with his incoherent ramblings. although i gotta admit the amount of materials he gives out is generous and more than needed. the actual lectures themselves was fricken torture + having them early in the morning didnt help either. :sleep:
Lol, he reminds me of Mr Mackey from South Park.

"ehhh... you have to draw your timelines.. mmkay"

Nah in all seriousness, he's a pretty fair guy in that he gives you the materials you need. In that case, you pretty much didn't need to go to acst101 lectures if you were good enough. I only went to bum around, talk, and perfect my Rubik's cubing lol

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
acst acst acst 101...

lol i failed first time, and only creditted the second time

YOU NEED TO GOTO ALL YOUR LECTURES, you need to make a good attempt at those quizzes, you need to do all your tutes again right before exam, but what i found very helpful was.... doing as many past exams as i could get my hands on, right before exam.

The final has tricky questions that don't correspond to how the tutes are or the quizzes either

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
clairegirl said:
The final has tricky questions that don't correspond to how the tutes are or the quizzes either
Good point about the finals... If you don't have the ability to see things mathematically, then it's easy to struggle in techniques, hence why actuaries tend to go really well in acst101.

Our exam last year was out of 75. 45 multiple choice, and 30 write-in-your-own-answer type things. Multiple choice was split up into techniques (22 questions) and elements (23 questions), techniques being the maths and the elements being the memorisation of facts.

For multiple choice techniques, there won't be heaps of questions just asking you to plug in numbers, but a fair few of them will be testing your ability to manipulate formulas etc, such as "Which one of the following is equal to the sum of payments a-|n" n it'll give you 5 examples, and you'd have to pick which one is correct. If you're not good at manipulating stuff mathematically, it can be difficult.

Multiple choice elements is basically memorising the lecture notes, that's it. But the majority of the questions (I remember last year, 17 of the 23) are questions that are, for example, "Which one of the following is NOT an example of a futures contract" which can get tricky if you don't know your material.

The other 30 marks are sort of like the practice tests you get throughout the year, but without elements, only techniques. You should be able to pass this bit because there will be easy marks scattered throughout. Also for this, make sure you know how to do annuities and loans REALLY well. There will be a fair few marks allotted to annuities, so know them.

They'll put up past papers before the exam, and after going through them, you'll see how it's all formatted and you should be fine.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
wow where was this post when i was doing acst101

well detailed boxxheaqd

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
clairegirl said:
wow where was this post when i was doing acst101

well detailed boxxheaqd
Thanks. I only did acst101 last semester, so yeah I couldn't have written it up when you were doing it lol.

Btw I plan to tutor acst101 :) lol

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Try creating an Excel spreadsheet thing and program the formulas in yourself. I did that, and all i had to do was input values and voila, easy cred.

Key point, you should program the formula's YOURSELF. It's better this way if you want to understand how to use them later on. Just get a sheet of examples that you've already worked through, and test out what you programmed by inputting the values and comparing answers.

Good luck,

p__D

EDIT - added an attachment, it's a screen of the formula sheet i made last year. The highlighted orange cell shows the formula. Green cells indicate where you should input variables. Orange cells are where the formulae are entered. You should get the idea of what you should program in yourself. Good luck.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

I hear you get paid heaps to tutor uni subjects lol. Did you apply to tutor yet? I missed out on a HD by 2 marks, stupid online quizzes, rushed them and I think I failed one of them haha

Boxxxhead

Local hairy ethnic man
HSC
pLuvia said:
I hear you get paid heaps to tutor uni subjects lol. Did you apply to tutor yet? I missed out on a HD by 2 marks, stupid online quizzes, rushed them and I think I failed one of them haha
Haha that's what I heard too, hence why I'm interested, but I haven't applied yet.

I got 89 in it, and I didn't bother at all with elements (I think I got like 16/23 or something for elements on the final) which I don't have to tutor, but I went pretty good in the online quizzes (averaged in the high 80s coz I got 60 for the 5th one thanks to TWO typos costing me 16 marks when the answers were right, lol)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)