• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

act jobs available in aus (1 Viewer)

flamin'

Generally 3.5 is a probably a good enough GPA to get you interviews in places of high demand e.g. Big 4 and Investment Banks. GPA and cover letters/resumes are the 1st screening process - so have a good cover letter and resume (even if you have GPA 4.0 but still crap cover letter, then you're gooone.)

A lot of Actuarials go to Investment Banks (you basically need to be super smart, have v. good extra cirrcular activities, be a great talker and be extremely knowledgable and up-to-date on the investments scene i.e. read the AFR regularly - either that or know someone in IB). A lot of my friends stuffed their IB interviews because they got asked questions about the investment industry like 'Whats the average IPO for the industry now', 'Whats Black-Scholes formula' - you can't really bs your way through in IB because its what you know, not how you sell yourself.

You DON"T need some super high GPA to get you jobs (it's just easier to get interviews if you do have one). I'd imagine a lot of the smaller firms will give you a shot if you're a Cr average.

If you don't, then you might end up in some other finance - non-actuarial role, like financial management or something. Then when you get fully qualified, you can just jump ship.

Most Macq grads get employed somewhere anyway - according to statistics.

EDIT: When you've grad, noone cares about your marks - its how well you perform and whether or not you're fully qualified - being fully-qualified is the important thing.

Last edited:

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
thanks for that flamin, its cleared up a lot of things...In IB I knew theyd ask technical questions to assess our knowledge, its gonna b hard :(

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
3rd year is killin ya?! Wonderful things to look forward to
ACST305- Quantitative Methods for Asset Liability Management
wow look at the prereqs:
ACST200(P) or ECFS200(P) or ACST201(P);
STAT272(P); COMP124 or COMP125 or COMP115
or COMP155 or COMP165

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
still 2 pretty difficult units :p

oi whats ECFS200, ive never seen the ECFS for a unit code before

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
ok i think i should stop mucking around in uni now :D

time to bring mr gpa up...

wat electives do u guys recommend in 2nd yr (im only looking for something to boost my gpa)... isys123 sounds easy :D

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
lol i know a few ppl who fukd isys, but ryan if u dont get high HD in that shit, u should be very worried :p
Do a fun accounting elective....actaully i think i desperately need an elective which boosts my GPA, and something thats not Computing coz i hate that computing dept.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
you probably wont be allowed to do isys123 due to comp115/155 and sdd. just check up on that.

flamin'

Plus doing easy subjects to boost GPA doesn't work - employers will probably look more at what kind of subjects you do. So if you do a subject that is easy and is really out of the ordinary (i.e. doesn't look like its in your course), then they'd probably know its a GPA booster.

Mein

HSC
N/A
'Whats the average IPO for the industry now', 'Whats Black-Scholes formula'
We just did this in ACCG253. If you don't learn it again during the course, there is no way I could see myself remembering it by the end of my degree :|

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)