ACTL1101 Questions Help (mostly first year uni probability) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi

I am doing ACTL1101 at UNSW this semester, so I'd like to ask a few first year probability questions here:

HSC
Thanks

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I think there are typos here because the sums don't really make sense. (I presume i was meant to be a summation index, but it appears in the limits of summation too, which a summation index should never do. Also, r hasn't been defined I think.)

I guess the first sum should just say that the sum over all i of n_i is m. (I.e. Total no. of families is m.) In fact, for both sums, the sums are just over all values of i.

Last edited:

HSC
I think there are typos here because the sums don't really make sense. (I presume i was meant to be a summation index, but it appears in the limits of summation too, which a summation index should never do. Also, r hasn't been defined I think.)

I guess the first sum should just say that the sum over all i of n_i is m. (I.e. Total no. of families is m.)
I checked but I couldn't find any errors/typos I've made. I think you can assume r to be the highest number of children in one single family.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I checked but I couldn't find any errors/typos I've made. I think you can assume r to be the highest number of children in one single family.
Don't worry, I think I've figured out what the Q. is asking. If you haven't made a typo, then the Q. itself essentially has a typo I think, because i is meant to be the thing we're summing over, yet it appears as the lower limit of a sum, which cannot happen.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Here are some hints for a method:

• For any given i, find an expression for Pr(X = i), i.e. The probability that the randomly chosen family is a family with i children. This expression is very simple and easy to find once you understand the notation used.

• Thus, write down an expression for E[X] using the definition of expectation for discrete r.v.'s.

• Repeat the above two steps for Y (again, this is very simple to do once you've gotten your head around the notation).

• Using your expressions for E[Y] and E[X], derive the required inequality (it shouldn't be too hard to do once you have the expressions).

HSC

• For any given i, find an expression for Pr(X = i), i.e. The probability that the randomly chosen family is a family with i children. This expression is very simple and easy to find once you understand the notation used.

• Thus, write down an expression for E[X] using the definition of expectation for discrete r.v.'s.

• Repeat the above two steps for Y (again, this is very simple to do once you've gotten your head around the notation).

• Using your expressions for E[Y] and E[X], derive the required inequality (it shouldn't be too hard to do once you have the expressions).
Alright thanks for that, will look into it tomorrow and will let you know how I went.

leehuan

HSC
Where are these questions from?

HSC

Oh and yeah thanks I figured it out...

leehuan

HSC
Lols

Tbh whilst I'm here, it's like the easiest distribution to learn (just a special case of binomial) but I don't think the Bernoulli distribution explicitly is a part of ACTL1101

leehuan

HSC

Something's weird...

Just by inspection I could tell that the expectation for the second case would be higher than the first. But why should I not be surprised that the variances are the exact same?

I have a feeling this isn't just by coincidence...

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A

Something's weird...

Just by inspection I could tell that the expectation for the second case would be higher than the first. But why should I not be surprised that the variances are the exact same?

I have a feeling this isn't just by coincidence...
Note that A = 25000 – B, where A is the r.v. describing the value from investment A, and similarly for B.

Therefore, by properties of variance (namely that an additive constant doesn't change the variance, and neither does the presence of a multiplicative factor of -1), we have

Var(A) = Var(25000 – B) = Var(B).

HSC
Is it true that:

If so, what theorem is it?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

leehuan

HSC
Confession: Very screwed for this course. lol

leehuan

HSC
Please explain where their product came from? :)

Company NewGen has one electirc generator that has five components. All five components are required to work to produce electricity. The time until failure for each component follows an exponential distribution with mean 10. The times until failure for the five components are independent.

What is the expected value of the time that the generator produces electricity.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Please explain where their product came from? :)

Company NewGen has one electirc generator that has five components. All five components are required to work to produce electricity. The time until failure for each component follows an exponential distribution with mean 10. The times until failure for the five components are independent.

What is the expected value of the time that the generator produces electricity.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)