Actl2111, Actl2131, Fins1613, Fins1612, Fins2624, Econ2206 (1 Viewer)

Killua101

HSC
Hey guys, just wondering apart from the compulsory 2111 and 2131 courses, what i should do to get better marks. ik fins1613 helps heaps in 2111 (and i should have done it before) but in actl1101 it was fine and i got nearly all of financial maths part without much difficulty.
Also will doing econ2206 help 2131 as they are both based on stats.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

ssflyse

HSC
Just completed FINS1612 in S2/17. What I can say is that FINS1612 is extremely qualitative in nature especially for the first 8 weeks of content, and FINS1612 really requires students to read the textbook many times over and over again if they really wanna score well for the quizzes. The textbook is a truckload of content and the LIC likes to make the quizzes hard by going extremely into specifics for the questions even if it's not the main focus of the chapters. However towards the end of the semester you start to piece everything together and it somewhat becomes easier even though the last 4 topics require a lot more understanding and thought compared to the first 8 weeks. Historically it's a 5% HD rate and 20+% distinction rate, which doesn't make it entirely easy to get better marks if by better you meant HD. If I am not wrong 1613 has a higher HD rate of 15% or so, so you may want to consider doing 1613 (only if in first semester).

SuperAltastic

HSC
Yeah do FINS1613 in sem 1 its pretty good then (I did s1/2017) you probs have Rob as your lecturer and he is a finance beast. Its a bit more content in sem 1 but the exams are very fair and they scale the marks if the performance is not that great. 2206 is introduction to econometrics unless you need to do it for your course than im not sure it might help (ask the business student centre) its a core for all eco students cos it teaches key modelling and stats content needed for higher years.

Killua101

HSC
Anyone also do econ2206 and/or econ3209 (business forecasting) and have any thoughts on them. Also is doing econ2206 2nd year 1st sem a bit too early?

snail489

HSC
did the ACTL courses in 2017S1 and i can confirm theyre some real stressful shit but maybe not as hard as people claim they are - did pretty well in both of them but i did have to work p hard for ACTL 2131

a lot of it really depends on ur mathematical ability but honestly the most important thing is make sure u dont fall behind in ACTL2131 or itll be hard af to catch up, they go thru so much content each week

i never really went to lectures and i have a lot of trouble paying attention in tutes, but what i can say is very useful for the ACTL courses is going to consultations (well i only went to the consultations right before the finals) and asking them questions on how to do questions in the past papers youve gone through

and just make sure u go through all the past papers u can and you'll do just fine :)

i also did the fins courses btw but theyre easy shit so youll be fine lmao

SuxMATH

HSC
N/A
I did ACTL2111, ACTL2131, FINS1612 and FINS2624 during my 2nd yr 1st sem. Depending on your expectations I would say the two ACTLs together were indeed challenging but at the same time I felt they were a lot easier than what people say about them. ACTL after the first year rewards you very well if you understand the content comparing with first year and how rote learnable it is, which is probably why many may struggle since they are comparing the rote learning nature of first year. I will admit I am not naturally as talented as many other actuarial students but I can tell you that achieving distinctions for both ACTLs was very easy even with cramming so I don't know how others struggle considering actuarial students aren't dropkicks but rather more talented than other students. However, ACTL subjects after your first year build on from week 1 compared with ACTL1101 which was broken into different topics so you really need to pace yourself.

In terms of the other two courses, it is clear that FINS has generally been dumbed down considering when I did FINS2624 only 10% achieved HD compared to 20% this year but I wouldn't stress too much with the other two courses you'll be completing with the two ACTLs. ECON2206 is like the younger cousin version of ACTL2131 however doing two heavy stat courses may not be pleasant. Overall, you will mostly spend more time on ACTLs than your other courses considering how much more work you need to put in for ACTL compared to laughable FINS.

Finally, at the end of the day it is really up to you with how well you want to do and actuarial studies I feel over the last few years rewards you fairly. Other students may tell you things about the courses but do they really indicate how you should tackle the courses? Not really since a top student will always find a way to smash the course, regardless how poorly the course is taught or the course content itself etc. I am sure you will learn a lot from the semester regardless.

Last edited:

snail489

HSC
In terms of the other two courses, it is clear that FINS has generally been dumbed down considering when I did FINS2624 only 10% achieved HD compared to 20% this year but I wouldn't stress too much with the other two courses you'll be completing with the two ACTLs. ECON2206 is like the younger cousin version of ACTL2131 however doing two heavy stat courses may not be pleasant. Overall, you will mostly spend more time on ACTLs than your other courses considering how much more work you need to put in for ACTL compared to laughable FINS.

can confirm, did the same subject combination and ended up spending like 90% of the time on ACTL and 10% on FINS and ended up scoring basically the same in all four subjects

fins2624 was definitely dumbed down a lot when i did it because they recycled so many questions, the 2 midterms were literally just a copy and paste job from an open book midterm lmao what a joke

and fins1612 isnt that much better but everyone knows that

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)