• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Actuarial Careers guide (1 Viewer)

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
hi guys, anyone wanting to know more about entering the actuarial profession, I want to share some information.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

Also for those wanting to improve the speed of their basic maths, such as those asked at optiver interview questions, i would highly recommend the Trachtenberg speed system of basic maths. I did kumon which speed things up abit, but this Trachtenberg system totally bumped my speed up by a whole new level.

RapidShare: 1-CLICK Web hosting - Easy Filehosting

My apologies to moderators if posting of this sort is not allowed, but since other education forums are allowing it, i assumed its okay. Otherwise, i shall delete at once.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
There is quite a fair bit of speed-mathematics techniques viewable of youtube - YouTube - Secret Trick : Math Division Long was one I watched which looked quite interesting.

Thanks for the post - is there really a need for such quick mental maths in trading?

EDIT: It's funny that on page 48-49 the actuaries state that programming is so important which is something that I think is really ignored in the ciricullum

As an actuary just starting out, I find programming skills extremely
valuable. Most junior actuaries will be required to program in a variety
of languages. Having good software skills in general will always make
for a more efficient actuarial analyst. Other disciplines that can be useful
are economics and finance. As an actuary's career develops, softer skills
such as management, delegation, verbal and written communication and
relationship building can play an important role as well. However, actuarial
students rarely consider them essential when they are still in school.
EDIT 2: KUMON FTW! I got my bronze medal after like 6 weeks and I think thats what really got me extremelly good at mathematics.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)