Actuarial Co-op (1 Viewer)

vinlatte

HSC
I looked at the threads regarding this topic, and they seem pretty outdated (around 2017ish when the co-op course is still new).

I'm curious to know about the actuarial co-op courses in UNSW (B. Actuarial Studies Co-Op) and MQU (B. Actuarial Studies with Professional Practice).

What is the process like for applying for the scholarships? Is the course better in one university than the other? What is your personal experience with the course?

Does the Schools Rec Scheme for early offers apply for any actuarial degree? Can adjustment points be considered (or subject points for high bands)? And any other info that would help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm taking 4u maths, which will meet the recommended studies for the course. I'm also completing a VET course which I think help me in interviews as I can talk about how I benefited from work placement and will justify why I chose to do a co-op course. I'm also ranking quite well in my subjects, so I'm not too worried about my ATAR meeting the requirements.

I'm also more biased towards the MQU course as I heard that they're more reputable, plus the transportation is easier for me and I quite like their campus (I haven't visited UNSW though).

Last edited:

Time&moretime

HSC
I looked at the threads regarding this topic, and they seem pretty outdated (around 2017ish when the co-op course is still new).

I'm curious to know about the actuarial co-op courses in UNSW (B. Actuarial Studies Co-Op) and MQU (B. Actuarial Studies with Professional Accounting).

What is the process like for applying for the scholarships? Is the course better in one university than the other? What is your personal experience with the course?

Does the Schools Rec Scheme for early offers apply for any actuarial degree? Can adjustment points be considered (or subject points for high bands)? And any other info that would help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm taking 4u maths, which will meet the recommended studies for the course. I'm also completing a VET course which I think help me in interviews as I can talk about how I benefited from work placement and will justify why I chose to do a co-op course. I'm also ranking quite well in my subjects, so I'm not too worried about my ATAR meeting the requirements.

I'm also more biased towards the MQU course as I heard that they're more reputable, plus the transportation is easier for me and I quite like their campus (I haven't visited UNSW though).
I suggest you visit their website, ‘UNSW Co-op scholarships’. This was made separate from their regular UNSW scholarship page, but an applicant uses the same username and password to get into their applications. You probably know this already, you can start, save and come back later but need to submit before their deadline. It is one of the easier websites to manoeuvre around.
Co-op relies on businesses to fulfil the financials. You may be the perfect recipient for the co-op but if UNSW does not have businesses wishing to sponsor your chosen course then there isn’t a scholarship for you. But saying that, I think Actuarial Studies is pretty popular & there will probably be some backing.
You need to get a resume together. Something to write about in the application. They utilise Vieple and you record yourself talking about yourself and sent it to them.
The interviews are held around late November. There is usually an Interview Briefing Day a day before the face-to-face interviews to familiarise yourself with the campus and ask questions before the actual interview.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Co-op relies on businesses to fulfil the financials. You may be the perfect recipient for the co-op but if UNSW does not have businesses wishing to sponsor your chosen course then there isn’t a scholarship for you. But saying that, I think Actuarial Studies is pretty popular & there will probably be some backing.
Take that one step further and it becomes a matter of why the businesses sponsoring the co-op would want you. Work that out, and you'll know how you should approach this. (hint: doing a VET course whilst helpful, probably won't be enough AFAIK)

Time&moretime

HSC
Take that one step further and it becomes a matter of why the businesses sponsoring the co-op would want you. Work that out, and you'll know how you should approach this. (hint: doing a VET course whilst helpful, probably won't be enough AFAIK)
True

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)