• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

actuarial, law or comp sc?? - help!!! (1 Viewer)

the_pun

HSC
I can't decide between what I want to do at uni, but I must make up my mind soon - for a long time I have had my heart set on actuarial studies...but just recently I have started to increasingly contemplate my choices. I initially wanted to do actuarial studies because I love maths, and that course seems to offer it at quite a hard and challenging level. But the more I think about it, I fear that actuarial studies might be a "boring" kind of maths? I personally throughout high school have loved calculus, logarithims, algebra, equations and all the challenging HSC - style questions; although I have never really liked probability (its not that I cant do it, i just find it boring...although I do like binomial probability) - will this mean I dont like actuarial studies? What skills do u use in the actuarial course?

As i have started to move away from actuarial studies, I have started to think about a double degree in Law and Science (majoring in mathematics or computing science) as it would be a wide field in terms of employment opportunities, and quite interesting and challenging a course. Would this be too heavy a workload - would I still have time to play wknd sports? Is there anyone here doing a similar degree that could help me out in choosing? I would preferably choose Macquarie or Newcastle Uni for this double degree (both offer it) because of my location. How heavy is the workload for law by itself?

My other thought is a double degree in Mathematics and Computer Science, as it sounds very enjoyable, but I'm not sure as to how good this would be in terms of employment opportunities?

Please help me current uni students, I dont know what to choose - please tell me about the above courses, what they r like in terms of workload and content, and employment opportunities following the completion of the course.

The subjects I have done for the HSC and my assessment rankings r Mathematics (1st), 3unit Mathematics (1st), Legal Studies (1st), Modern History (1st), Music (1st), English Advanced (2nd) and English Extension (1st)...(i didnt take 4u maths because I would have had to have done it by correspondence...)

Thanks, sorry bout the long message. Please help! If u guys have any sample work from any of the courses above which u do (which is typical or common to the course), please post it

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
didn't have time to read your whole post, but

"loved calculus, logarithims, algebra, equations and all the challenging HSC - style questions; although I have never really liked probability (its not that I cant do it, i just find it boring...although I do like binomial probability)"

yes you will use all of that. and you will probably start liking probability once you probably start the course.

CrashOveride

HSC
i wasnt much of a fan of probability in high school, but youll start to like it (coz u have to :p) once u do acst

the_pun

HSC
thanks guys u have all been really helpful...r all the courses i have mentioned in that list good for employment opportunities in Australia too? and what r the uni workloads like?

santaslayer

HSC
why cant u just do a Commerce (actuarial)/Science (Computer science) course @ UNSW?

workload:

actuarial =hahaha good luck

law= hahaha good luck

comp sci= ahahaha good luck

RIZAL

HSC
In contrast, I think the jobs market for Actuarial grads and students is very good. It seems like there are endless opportunities for Actuarials and tons of jobs. It might seem like there are hundreds and hundreds of students taking Actuarial studies in Australia, but a lot of them are internationals who go home to work.

And why should you choose Macquarie Actuarial? As an example, at the place where I'm interning this summer, 5 were selected: 3 Macquarie, 1 ANU, 1 Melbourne.

Last edited:

the_pun

HSC
santaslayer said:
why cant u just do a Commerce (actuarial)/Science (Computer science) course @ UNSW?
sounds like a good course, but I dont wanna live on campus, and UNSW is approx 2 hrs from where I am (central coast), so macquarie is better for me - they also offer commerce (actuarial) and science (computer science) as a combined degree.

workload:

actuarial =hahaha good luck

law= hahaha good luck

comp sci= ahahaha good luck
u do a B Comm/B Law? what is that like in terms of workload? do u enjoy the course? and comp sci shouldnt be too heavy a workload i wouldnt think in comparison to those subjects?

flyin' said:
Find out where you might like to work, and then pick a course. Don't pick a course, then look at where you might like to work - because it doesn't work as well.?
I want to work somewhere in Sydney preferably - dont really want to have to move interstate - there would still be plenty of job opportunities to get employed in Sydney as an actuary? and how long (say i went to macquarie) does it take to become a full-on working actuary? dont u have to pass all these IAA exams after uni?

Isaaq said:
And why should you choose Macquarie Actuarial? As an example, at the place where I'm interning this summer, 5 were selected: 3 Macquarie, 1 ANU, 1 Melbourne.
cool, sounds good - do u and flyin' both go to Macq U? ive heard its a harder course there than at other unis? how do u guys find it?

Thanks again peeps, i am still interested to find more out about comp sc and law nonetheless, so please still keep adding comments :)

the_pun

HSC
miss_gtr said:
Do B Law/B Comp Sci........... ask Laz, i think he does that.

or you could just do Comp Sci....and aspire to become a geek..like me :)
yeah that sounds like a good course, I just want to know what its like more, and how heavy the law component is...I PM'd Laz before but got no reply, I'll try again now :)...I would be really interested to get his opinion on it. how do u personally find the comp sci degree? how do u think employment opportunities r for comp sci? is it generally a well-paid profession?

flyin' said:
Go to ( http://www.actuaries.asn.au/ ) and you'll understand the education process better.
i just went there and read it - so at uni u get exemptions from Part I and II (it says in UAC guide if u were to do a double degree, u get exemptions from part II at macquarie as well). do u have to spend another 2 years to complete Part III??? (it says 4 half year courses) so does that mean it will take me bout 6 yrs to become a qualified actuary?

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
flyin' said:
Relatively poor English.

dear, you've either only met asian international students who stay among themselves or you're english is too good. Excuse us!!

There are other international students coming from countries where english is the official language. *raise hand* Plus sometimes o.s have the advantage of speaking another useful foreign language. (not so much needed in acturial, but yet!)

Don't use "simply cannot" please. :cool: "most" , "may" , "often" ?

ETA: sorry for hijacking.

Last edited:

RIZAL

HSC
the_pun said:
I want to work somewhere in Sydney preferably - dont really want to have to move interstate - there would still be plenty of job opportunities to get employed in Sydney as an actuary? and how long (say i went to macquarie) does it take to become a full-on working actuary? dont u have to pass all these IAA exams after uni?

cool, sounds good - do u and flyin' both go to Macq U? ive heard its a harder course there than at other unis? how do u guys find it?
Have you seen the Passion of the Christ? Well they should make a movie 'The Passion of the Mac Actuarial Student' and it would be far worse.

Flyin' is right. Think carefully about where you want to work and what you want to be before choosing your course. Are you sure that you want to be a 'full on working Actuary' in a traditional Actuarial role (life, health, general insurance etc)? Do you want to be a lawyer? Do you want to be a big pimpin Investment Banker?

If you don't want a traditional Actuarial role, then I'd encourage you to not take Actuarial. The actuarial degree will get you into banking, finance, trading, quant type roles with ease, but why do something unnecessarily hard?

the_pun

HSC
I seriously dont know what to do ay - Im torn between law and actuarial really, but I don't know exactly how I'm going to like either of the courses - u can hear so much about them and that they are "intellectually challenging, etc" and "they involve lots of maths/ or heavy reading and essay writing" but u dont know how ur going to like them until uve actually experienced them - would it be best to perhaps enrol in one of them and just see how it goes? r unis flexible enough to - say i got into law combined with science, to change to actuarial after a year or is that too extreme a transfer? Isaaq and Flyin', did u have ur minds set on actuarial studies as a certainty before u went to uni, or were u unsure for a while or anything? please tell me what u went through when u chose ur uni courses...

haha nice comparison with actuarial to passion of christ by the way!

Last edited:

ND

HSC
r unis flexible enough to - say i got into law combined with science, to change to actuarial after a year or is that too extreme a transfer?
Why not do combined law/actuarial, then drop whichever you like least? (or do both if you're up for the workload) Then again, for law you don't wanna go to macquarie, and for actuarial you don't wanna go to unsw.

Left-ism

HSC
i believe international students also have to take an english examination to coem study in this country? dunno if it applies to all students though.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
erm actually, a lot of summer / intern jobs are only avail to permanent residents / citizens, so in a way international students are a bit disadvantaged...

oh and if u enjoy maths, id recommend actuarial... i dunno for me i really only liked to study maths in high school and i guess i dont mind the course, although i gotta say it aint for the faint hearted...

RIZAL

HSC
Shuter said:
Oh dear, if this is the quality of English from an international student with English as their official language, I'd hate to see the ones who don't come from an English speaking background.

Come on man, this is a highschool forum, it's not like everyone runs their posts through a spelling and grammar checker. princess's english is very good, I've spoken to her in person.

the_pun: you can change into anything after a year - if you do well enough.

santaslayer

HSC
the_pun said:
sounds like a good course, but I dont wanna live on campus, and UNSW is approx 2 hrs from where I am (central coast), so macquarie is better for me - they also offer commerce (actuarial) and science (computer science) as a combined degree.

u do a B Comm/B Law? what is that like in terms of workload? do u enjoy the course? and comp sci shouldnt be too heavy a workload i wouldnt think in comparison to those subjects?

:)
Yeah, I was suggesting a particular course you might find interesting. I'm not too sure about the other universities and their availability of the said course. :)

Yes I do Comm/LLB. Workload depends on your acquaintance and command of the English language. A LOT of reading is involved. You shouldn't be suprised if you are required to read around 80+ pages per week per law subject. (This is in size 8 font BTW. :p)
Law is about application rather than dead straight memorising so we have an advantage in this area. Most exams are open book, that is, all notes and textbooks are allowed within the examination room. You should do OK in law exams if you consisitently complete your readings and type your notes up.

Commerce is boring. I'm thinking of doing an Accounting major. Very boring, yet very useful.

Computer Science is not easy, according to some very intelligent friends. The workload will also depend if you plan to take the advanced subjects or not. It is still a very demanding course. (in terms of both intellect and workload).

Overall, all the courses you are inquring into are not easy. :p

p.r.i.n.c.e.s.s

mademoiselleN
HSC
Shuter said:
Oh dear, if this is the quality of English from an international student with English as their official language, I'd hate to see the ones who don't come from an English speaking background.
awww.

I think its because of ppl like you, who prejudge international students constantly, that I commented in this thread in the first place.

meyero

HSC
Isaaq said:
In contrast, I think the jobs market for Actuarial grads and students is very good. It seems like there are endless opportunities for Actuarials and tons of jobs. It might seem like there are hundreds and hundreds of students taking Actuarial studies in Australia, but a lot of them are internationals who simply cannot score a job here.

Isaaq, you're interning at PwC rite? I'm from UNSW and i am working there in the Summer, and i am not sure but i believe there are 5 or 6 others from UNSW working in PwC actuarial over the summer?

Don't worry keep thinking Macquarie is the best uni for actuarial mate :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)